Sponsored

SCCA Solo Classes

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I am awaiting my new Mustang and am already booked for an Auto-X school and plan to run at a Goodguys event in July. I also plan to run PDE's at a couple of the more local tracks. I am an SCCA member and have worked races locally and been involved somewhat.

Anyways the thought has crossed my mind of possibly getting into Solo competitively. Thing is I've already got some stuff for the car to help with the track days. Square tire set up, camber plates and a rear camber adjustment kit. I basically want to set the car up to be able to enjoy track days, auto-x, and the street. I understand the mods I have ready to go already knock me out of F-Street (I think) and am wondering what class I would most likely want to aim for. I have been around the club racing a bit but not the solo stuff so I don't really know what my options are.

I am sure whatever class this would be is more expensive in the end but basically I am wanting something to aim for. I can look into the GCR later for details but looking for some guidance on where to start looking. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've been targeting NASA (for what reason I don't really know) and I've found THE BEST people to help me figure out what class I should target and where my car actually fits are the NASA contacts. Just email/message someone in your region. I spoke on the phone for a while to figure out which I'd have to remove to be in a certain class, how they test power, where I should go if I am new to it, etc. Very helpful to just let them tell you the rules and, with their experience, let them help you decide where to be.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I am awaiting my new Mustang and am already booked for an Auto-X school and plan to run at a Goodguys event in July. I also plan to run PDE's at a couple of the more local tracks. I am an SCCA member and have worked races locally and been involved somewhat.

Anyways the thought has crossed my mind of possibly getting into Solo competitively. Thing is I've already got some stuff for the car to help with the track days. Square tire set up, camber plates and a rear camber adjustment kit. I basically want to set the car up to be able to enjoy track days, auto-x, and the street. I understand the mods I have ready to go already knock me out of F-Street (I think) and am wondering what class I would most likely want to aim for. I have been around the club racing a bit but not the solo stuff so I don't really know what my options are.

I am sure whatever class this would be is more expensive in the end but basically I am wanting something to aim for. I can look into the GCR later for details but looking for some guidance on where to start looking. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

It depends how far you want to go and how competitive you want to be - if you want to be really competitive, you want to maximize all the allowance.

Your choice is CAM-C (pretty much anything, street tires), STP (look up the rules what it allows - there were significant changes made end of last year that make this class favorable) or ESP (Hoosiers + ton of other stuff)

This https://www.scca.com/downloads/19200-2017-01-18-quick-reference-of-category-allowances/download is a decent place to start... (and in general scca.com -> autocross -> rules.

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Thanks, Ill have to check those out. I thought I should ask because with all the classes, I could take forever trying to figure out what I can do. This at least narrows things down for me.

As for NASA I fell into SCCA because they are pretty active in my area. I assume NASA may be as well but when I first got into stuff and researching, I just seemed to find more information and local contacts for SCCA.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Of you're just getting started, then check with your local club where they want to class you. A lot of clubs will relax the strict rules for noobs and may let you run in a FS as a novice.

SCCA classing rulebook can be found online and can answer detailed question. I know your wheels/tires are probably ok in STP and the camber plates are allowed there. Only thing is Im not sure about the rear camber. Unless you're competing nationally, it would take a real asshole to call you out on the rear camber arm. At the national level some gaming of the rules (and contesting of car setups) is to be expected I guess.

Sponsored

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
The PAX for STP (.820) and CAM-C (.823) are pretty close. If you can run novice locally go for that. Once you have to class, pick the one you want to be in and mod accordingly :)

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Now that I have a direction, I'm checking out the classes in the books. I'll figure it out. =)

When I joined SCCA I really wanted to get into club racing. I have come to terms with the fact that the road racing is expensive, car, truck, trailer, travel, etc. Now I am thinking Solo is a way to have fun competitively while being relatively cheap compared to Club racing. This will be my second school. Figure I'll try a real Solo day after the school and give it a go. If I like it stick with it and see if I can be competitive. I know I won't be from the start but only one way to get better.

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Looks like with the mods I am wanting, ST would be where I am at. It looks like I could run STU or STP. Is this the case? If so, which would I want to be in?

With ST my wheels and tires are ok as are the camber adjustments. Also leaves me a bit of room to play with other things.

Last edited:

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Looks like with the mods I am wanting, ST would be where I am at. It looks like I could run STU or STP. Is this the case? If so, which would I want to be in?

With ST my wheels and tires as are the camber adjustments. Also leaves me a bit of room to play with other things.
STP is the place to run for these cars in ST trim. STU is a much tougher class but doesn't have as many allowances for pony cars like what is being experimented with in STP.

My interpretation of the ST rules say that the Steeda rear camber bolt kit should be legal to use if that's what you have. I had intended to use it on my setup if I continued to run there. I am using it but run in CAMC now because of other mods.

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
STP is the place to run for these cars in ST trim. STU is a much tougher class but doesn't have as many allowances for pony cars like what is being experimented with in STP.

My interpretation of the ST rules say that the Steeda rear camber bolt kit should be legal to use if that's what you have. I had intended to use it on my setup if I continued to run there. I am using it but run in CAMC now because of other mods.
So I read through things and looks like STP it is.

I have the rear camber kit from Steeda that goes over the inboard mount and uses a bolt with offset washer to adjust. From what I read in the ST rules, I believe this should be ok.

What others mods did you do that pushed you into CAMC? Seems like mods are pretty open in ST.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So I read through things and looks like STP it is.

I have the rear camber kit fro Steeda that goes over the inboard mount and uses a bolt with offset washer to adjust. From what I read in the ST rules, I believe this should be ok.

What others mods did you do that pushed you into CAMC? Seems like mods are pretty open in ST.
Diff bushing inserts, spherical vertical links, spherical LCA bushings, cradle lockout kit - mostly basic, bolt-on, cheap, readily available mods that do a great job of removing compliance in the rear suspension that aren't ST legal.
Sponsored