one piece driveshaft problem

GotStanged

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt PP
Has anyone had a problem with there one piece drive shaft makeing a metalic pop sound when reversing the going forword sometimes?
Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I just installed a DSS carbon one piece and notice a clunk if I manually grab the shaft and rotate it back and forth. Every opposite direction there is a thump. It is like there is a small gap when rotating in the opposite direction (like reversing and going forward). I wonder if that is what you are hearing too. I haven'y tested mines yet because it is still int eh air lol.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
If you have the Torsen differential with the 3.73 gears, it has a larger backlash (gap as you put it) that can cause the clunk.

OP
OP

GotStanged

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt PP
The sound echoes down the driveshaft but you hear it in the front

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I finally got the car running and am now hearing the "clunk" noise now. I only hear it during shifting into first, but it it not annoying loud. It makes it presences know, but is slight. The loudest is when I roll over a bump at about 5 mph. You can hear it loud and clear in the rear while in the cabin. Can't hear a thing outside the car, but in the rear of the cabin is where the noise is much more significant.

I thought it was my suspension upgrades, but I checked and everything is tight and torqued done to spec. Only thing loose or with "gap" is the driveshaft. Not sure if anyone got rid of the noise or if this is permanent. I will be removing the Whiteline transmission mount I have on there to see if it makes a difference (I have a MGW shifter with it, so will probably not need the mount anymore).

Sponsored

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
Bumping this up. I have the stock 2 piece driveshaft (non PP) and I have the same issue. Checked all my suspension upgrades (including BK049 BMR diff bushings) yesterday and everything is torqued to spec.

But on jack stands with the hand brake off I can rotate the drive shaft and there's a fair amount of slack between the body of the shaft and the CV joint close to the diff. There's an audible clunk when I rotate it. I know there's slack in the diff and that will cause a clunk especially with the diff bushings but I was wondering if this level of play in the actual shaft itself was normal?

I was considering a DSS or QA1 CF 1 piece to see if this would remove the clunk. Anyone have any thoughts or think this level of slack in the actual shaft is normal?

Thanks.

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Bumping this up. I have the stock 2 piece driveshaft (non PP) and I have the same issue. Checked all my suspension upgrades (including BK049 BMR diff bushings) yesterday and everything is torqued to spec.

But on jack stands with the hand brake off I can rotate the drive shaft and there's a fair amount of slack between the body of the shaft and the CV joint close to the diff. There's an audible clunk when I rotate it. I know there's slack in the diff and that will cause a clunk especially with the diff bushings but I was wondering if this level of play in the actual shaft itself was normal?

I was considering a DSS or QA1 CF 1 piece to see if this would remove the clunk. Anyone have any thoughts or think this level of slack in the actual shaft is normal?

Thanks.
Heard this is actually normal... I have a DSS CF driveshaft and mine does the same thing. Slack in the driveline.

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
Heard this is actually normal... I have a DSS CF driveshaft and mine does the same thing. Slack in the driveline.
Thanks. Appreciate the feedback. I presume it must be the BMR diff bushings transmitting the driveline slack through the vehicle then. Annoying as you have to cut the stock bushings out to get the BMR bushings in so i'll have to buy a new cradle to get rid of the noise.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yup, same here. Just a sloppy slack that you will hear from time to time. I got used to it and just consider it as normal and hopefully nothing breaks from it >.<

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I have the BMR diff bushing lockouts.. not the ones you have to drill out and install.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
What I'm reading here is totally normal behavior. You have Ford to thank for such a sloppy driveline.

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Can't the sloppy back lash be corrected?

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yup I hear the same thing when going into first gear with my aluminum shaftmasters driveshaft. Just a little slack and is perfectly normal from what I can tell, I also have solid diff mounts and bmr cradle lockouts.
Sponsored