Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I want to put some synthetic transmission oil in my MT82. I did this with my 2012GT, and I never had any problems.

My new car is notchy when the oil is cold, with some annoying crunches going into gear occasionally. This needs to stop a.s.a.p.

I can't remember which Red Line MTL product I used before, as there are different weights of their MTL. I would also consider a Royal Purple product if it works with the MT82.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
BG helps. But honestly, take a close look at that POS shifter Ford gave us with these great cars. I just installed a Barton this weekend and now my 1 to 2 shift is perfect. And I'm running the BG fluid. I was still getting some notchy gear grinding shifts when cold. This morning, it was like a new car.
The stock rear mount on the factory shifter is a freaking joke. I could not believe how loose the rubber was around the shifter body. At the very least, get yourself a Steeda replacement mount.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/steed...-2015-FPReplacementV1&T5_Var3=blue&GID=388841

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
BG helps. But honestly, take a close look at that POS shifter Ford gave us with these great cars. I just installed a Barton this weekend and now my 1 to 2 shift is perfect. And I'm running the BG fluid. I was still getting some notchy gear grinding shifts when cold. This morning, it was like a new car.
The stock rear mount on the factory shifter is a freaking joke. I could not believe how loose the rubber was around the shifter body. At the very least, get yourself a Steeda replacement mount.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/steed...-2015-FPReplacementV1&T5_Var3=blue&GID=388841
From the 2011-2014 GTs, (I had a 2012), I do know the shifter mechanism is crap. But what does installing a different shifter entail? Do I have to drop the trans?

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
No

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Go watch the video on Barton's website. You're going to need a jack and stands and basic hand tools. I also used my pry bar and a short piece of 2X4 to pull down on the trans about 3" to access the front bolt on top of the trans.

bananafonez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt shadow black
i think the crunching sound we all hear is from the shift linkage rubbing on the stock arm that attaches to the transmission. when i installed the my triax i noticed some wear on the stock shifter close to where the linkage turns with everyshift. metal on metal. i could be wrong tho but thats what i saw and havent had the issue again with new shifter.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Barton and don't look back. What Scott said, the factory shifter is really bad. The fluid will get rid of the gear nibble but depending on the car the shifters can work ok or be really bad. The Barton is a really nice piece.

Let us know how the fluid works out.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
i think the crunching sound we all hear is from the shift linkage rubbing on the stock arm that attaches to the transmission. when i installed the my triax i noticed some wear on the stock shifter close to where the linkage turns with everyshift. metal on metal. i could be wrong tho but thats what i saw and havent had the issue again with new shifter.
Not in my case. If I shifted really slow, I could actually feel the teeth of the gear or syncro clicking as it engaged 2nd gear. It was like dragging your fingernails down a chalk board. :eyebulge:

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
changed my transmission fluid to royal purple synchromax, got rid of a lot of the notch and especially during cold start

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I think you are seeing where the casting flash was hit with a grinder or sander. I'll look at mine today.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
In the last few days, my trans has stopped the slight notchiness when cold. I'm simply shifting slower when the fluid is cold.

The fluid should be here any day. I'll get it changed and report back.
Sponsored