Sponsored

The one thing i truly HATE about the new S550 is the Bumpsteer and Twitchy Steering

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
I posted this months ago a few times and other members have also commented on this but il be honest this is a ridiculous trait of this front suspension Ford decided to use on this car. No matter what you do it doesn't change. Even with more negative camber, much stickier and wider tires etc it just doesn't get any better.

There is not one performance oriented car that i have ever owned or driven that has this feel. when it hits bumps the steering is all over the place in your hands and ultra sensitive. and its not even on big bumps but changes in the asphalt on smooth paved roads.

I have to say the steering in the Camaro, CTSV and even new Challenger and Charger feels superior in every way if you ask me.

Im anticipating some aftermarket company coming out with parts to correct this and make it feel more secure and on center but im doubtful unless a major geometry is changed.

I also doubt the new GT350 will alleviate this and I honestly think if this can not be corrected better il most likely be selling my Mustang for the new CTSV this summer. So dissapointed because steering is so important to driver feel.

Can my complains be attributed to the electric steering? i don't know this is the first car i ever owned with an electric rack but i have driven all new sports cars using similar designs and they do not feel this twitchy on the road.
Sponsored

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I think what you are talking about is a part of the McPherson strut system they use. My BMW's have had it, and the steering wheel is telling you that the wheels have deflected by hitting the bump. Literally communicating exactly what is going on down at the road. In my book, that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
This is actually something you want. If the steering wheel didn't move while the cars wheels changed directions that would be a problem for performance car drivers, if you want to stay straight then grip the steering wheel and make it stay straight. It seems like it fights to go on center, if what you are saying that it needs to fight more then sure that is what most people would want, but if you are complaining about the steering twitching really sensitive to the bumps on the road, I feel like that shouldn't be a complaint

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
I think the PP shocks have alot to do with this lets see once a adj option is offered by Steeda or other vendor. no other car i have owned or compared this too feels this way even the new BMW M4 and Challenger Hellcat have more stable steering over road irregularities

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
I think the PP shocks have alot to do with this lets see once a adj option is offered by Steeda or other vendor. no other car i have owned or compared this too feels this way even the new BMW M4 and Challenger Hellcat have more stable steering over road irregularities
Not sure if you've seen our bumpsteer kit yet.

Sponsored

benni302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP GT
I couldn't disagree more......i have never felt more connected to a car than this one and i have the Performance Pack option. This is our 5th mustang over 4 generations and it is by far the most refined. I also own an Audi A4 Quattro and i would have to say this new S550 is just as refined in terms of comfort and suspension. We drove it up to some mountain roads this weekend to stretch her legs and i felt extremely confident pushing the car thru every turn and twist.

geokots

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang EB Premium
No matter what you do it doesn't change. Even with more negative camber, much stickier and wider tires etc it just doesn't get any better.
I started to notice this when I upgraded my tires.
My car had 18" Goodyear F1 that were almost immediately swapped for winter tires (then sold the stock tires).
I recently put on new 19" rims on fatter Pirelli P Zero Nero tires. I just started noticing it. Just based on this I think it might have to do with the fatter tires, stiffer sides and maybe bigger rims.
It personally doesn't bother me as before it felt a little too soft for me. The stiffer things are the more the road will impact the steering/suspension feel.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I couldn't disagree more......i have never felt more connected to a car than this one and i have the Performance Pack option. This is our 5th mustang over 4 generations and it is by far the most refined. I also own an Audi A4 Quattro and i would have to say this new S550 is just as refined in terms of comfort and suspension. We drove it up to some mountain roads this weekend to stretch her legs and i felt extremely confident pushing the car thru every turn and twist.
Same here. I agree 1000%.

I drive on some twisty and bumpy back roads as a shortcut and my '15GT PP is right at home in these situations.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

I drive on some twisty and bumpy back roads as a shortcut and my '15GT PP is right at home in these situations.

I feel the same. The steering on the S550 has received some of the highest praise compared to the S197. OP I think your car has an issue that can be corrected, not a flaw in the design.

BathS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 50th with PP

I feel the same. The steering on the S550 has received some of the highest praise compared to the S197. OP I think your car has an issue that can be corrected, not a flaw in the design.

I couldnt disagree more. Compared to my E46 M3, E92 335i or other cars I've driven lately (RS5, BRZ ... even a MK7 GTi) I feel as though this cars handling/suspension is a mess ... that being said, I feel as though this is completely fixable with the right suspension components: Shocks/Struts, Springs, Sway Bars, Vertical Links, Adjustable toe links, proper tires and getting the god damned wheel hop situation under control.

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
These cars do have bumpsteer issues (front and rear, actually)

They also have some geometry deficiencies. This is one of the primary areas that we are concentrating on, with our handling specific K-Member.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Very interesting thread and feedback. I guess it all depends on your own personal preferences and how you want your car to feel and how you drive it.

Randy P. seemed to give the car good reviews when driving it.

Of course the vendors have the expertise to comment and diagnose these issues. For my dealings and driving level and what I do with the car, it does fine for me. I am not a HPDE/Autocross or Road race person either.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
The premium version comes with 3 different steering settings, (Sport, normal and comfort) does this help with bump steer?

benni302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP GT
Very interesting thread and feedback. I guess it all depends on your own personal preferences and how you want your car to feel and how you drive it.

Randy P. seemed to give the car good reviews when driving it.

Of course the vendors have the expertise to comment and diagnose these issues. For my dealings and driving level and what I do with the car, it does fine for me. I am not a HPDE/Autocross or Road race person either.
Yeah it looks as if everyone has there own personal experience/opinion with these cars; since installing the springs i wouldn't change anything else on my car to better improve what I've already experienced, couldn't be happier.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
The premium version comes with 3 different steering settings, (Sport, normal and comfort) does this help with bump steer?
Negative ghost rider.
Sponsored