Low Speed Brake Squel

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
Sometimes you have to use what works. The paste is made by Febi an oem german brake supplier so its good stuff.

If it were KY and cured the squeak than lube 'er up!:headbonk:

Last edited:

MTWINN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Fortunately, I don't have the squealing/ squeaking brakes on my car. It's been quiet since I took delivery 4100 miles ago. Knock on wood.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Fortunately, I don't have the squealing/ squeaking brakes on my car. It's been quiet since I took delivery 4100 miles ago. Knock on wood.
Am assuming you don't leave your hearing aids at home when you drive your car?

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
The squeal is kind of obnoxious at times, like going through a drive thru or in a busy parking lot when everyone is checking out your car until you hear the long 'squeeeaal' and people start giggling. It comes mostly from the drilled rotors, brake dust collects in there and that's what does it for the most. Once a week when I wash I spray the shit out of the rotors with the hose. No squeal for about 4 days, but then by around the fifth when brake dusk has been nicely packed in those little holes the squeal is back for the next couple days until I wash again.

Sponsored

MTWINN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Am assuming you don't leave your hearing aids at home when you drive your car?
:lol: if the brakes squeal, you do not need an hearing aid to hear it. Mine doesn't.

gabroyes55.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 oxford white tech pack
I thought i was the only one with this problem, after 4k miles it started to squeal, i brought it to my dealership they replaced the front brakes, but still it didnt fix the problem, the back brakes started to do the same so they reolced them too, yesterday i picked up the car and they said they fixed the problem, while driving home like after 10 mins i started to hear the squeal again.. now i know its normal for high performance breaks to do this annoying noise. I guess i just need to live with it.

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I thought i was the only one with this problem, after 4k miles it started to squeal, i brought it to my dealership they replaced the front brakes, but still it didnt fix the problem, the back brakes started to do the same so they reolced them too, yesterday i picked up the car and they said they fixed the problem, while driving home like after 10 mins i started to hear the squeal again.. now i know its normal for high performance breaks to do this annoying noise. I guess i just need to live with it.
Or just keep getting them replaced for free when they squeal

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
The OEM pads on the 350 perform better on the track than any other OEM pad I have experienced. With that comes sacrifices. My OEM pads did not squeal, but I have since upgraded to a more aggressive pad. They make some noise and the best way I manage it is with pedal pressure. Rolling a little longer and applying the brake with a little more pressure works well.

ExtantPuzzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Was about to post but found this with the exact same title I was going to use - so apologies for the ~3 year necro. Also apologies in advance for some of the more newbie questions - am trying to learn, but this is a little out of my lane.

My 2019 with ~260 miles is doing the most obnoxious brake squeal at low speed braking - seems to be coming from both of the front brakes. It's pretty much constant on any stop at under 40mph and is driving me nuts. More aggressive braking is completely silent, but since I don't want to get rear ended in traffic, I'm not gonna be able to rely on that. I understand from reading this thread and others that "that's just how it is on performance brakes" and to suck it up.

However, I don't plan on tracking the car, at least for a year or so, mostly due to (my own) driver inexperience. My first plan is to take it by my dealership and have them take a look but I've seen enough anecdotes here about people just saying it's normal on the OEM brake pads so I'm not hopeful on them giving me a solution.

Can I take off the OEM pads and save them for a later date, when I would want to swap them back on for track purposes? If I can, what pads are you guys using for normal street use? I've seen a bunch of references to the Power Stop Z23 Evolution Sport Ceramic Brake Pads. Is that the general groupthink for non-track brakes? Can I just replace the pads only or do I need to swap any other parts in the process?

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Was about to post but found this with the exact same title I was going to use - so apologies for the ~3 year necro. Also apologies in advance for some of the more newbie questions - am trying to learn, but this is a little out of my lane.

My 2019 with ~260 miles is doing the most obnoxious brake squeal at low speed braking - seems to be coming from both of the front brakes. It's pretty much constant on any stop at under 40mph and is driving me nuts. More aggressive braking is completely silent, but since I don't want to get rear ended in traffic, I'm not gonna be able to rely on that. I understand from reading this thread and others that "that's just how it is on performance brakes" and to suck it up.

However, I don't plan on tracking the car, at least for a year or so, mostly due to (my own) driver inexperience. My first plan is to take it by my dealership and have them take a look but I've seen enough anecdotes here about people just saying it's normal on the OEM brake pads so I'm not hopeful on them giving me a solution.

Can I take off the OEM pads and save them for a later date, when I would want to swap them back on for track purposes? If I can, what pads are you guys using for normal street use? I've seen a bunch of references to the Power Stop Z23 Evolution Sport Ceramic Brake Pads. Is that the general groupthink for non-track brakes? Can I just replace the pads only or do I need to swap any other parts in the process?

Did you bed your brakes in? Break your car in. BREAK. IT. IN. HARD.

I autocrossed my car at 200 miles. 12 runs on that day alone. 2016 built. According to the internet, my engine should be in a scrap yard, my brakes should be twisted bottle caps, and my transmission a broken cork screw. No ticks, excellent transmission feel, no diff noise, and my brakes will rip your face off of your skull.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
........My 2019 with ~260 miles is doing the most obnoxious brake squeal at low speed braking - seems to be coming from both of the front brakes. It's pretty much constant on any stop at under 40mph and is driving me nuts. More aggressive braking is completely silent, but since I don't want to get rear ended in traffic, I'm not gonna be able to rely on that. I understand from reading this thread and others that "that's just how it is on performance brakes" and to suck it up.........
I don't know anything about the brake pads you suggested, but my brake squeal tends to happen after I have been gentle with the brakes around town. If I do a few hard stops and transfer pad material to the rotor, the squeal seems to go away for a while - even for the next few days. I think (just my opinion) that using the brakes softly around town can remove some of the transferred pad material and the squeaks start to happen. Just my $0.02.

I would try to re-bed the brakes like @nastang87xx suggested above

ExtantPuzzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Did you bed your brakes in? Break your car in. BREAK. IT. IN. HARD.

I autocrossed my car at 200 miles. 12 runs on that day alone. 2016 built. According to the internet, my engine should be in a scrap yard, my brakes should be twisted bottle caps, and my transmission a broken cork screw. No ticks, excellent transmission feel, no diff noise, and my brakes will rip your face off of your skull.
I certainly attempted to bed them in, but probably not as aggressively as I could have (inexperience + lack of a good place to do it). Can I just go try again, or is there anything in particular that I need to do to prep the brakes beforehand?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
In my experience, brakes sqeal in (3) situations.

1. The indicator telling you to change pads. Likely isn't this
2. After a track day when they've been very heavily used. Usually goes away after enough time.
3. When they're not being used enough and they get a bit rusty/dry.

I'd bet most are experiencing #3. My wife's car does this due to the way she drives. When it starts to annoy me, I take it out to a road near our house do 4-5 stops that are hard enough to engage ABS. Fixes the problem every time.

ExtantPuzzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Thanks all. She's not my DD, so the "not being used enough / dry" thing certainly might apply. I'll see if I can find some time this week to get out there and try again.
Sponsored