Sponsored

Atlanta Motorsports Park | March 12, 2017 | JZilla Track Days "Death of Winter" HPDE

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
What JZilla event are you talking about? AMP this weekend (12th), or Road Atlanta on June 16th?

FYI: Supposed to rain in the AM at AMP this weekend.
Now the forecast is calling for snow around 9am...
IMG_3322.JPG
Sponsored

Garf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I'll be at the Road Atlanta event, too. Bought and paid for. See you there!

Will be great to see an EB perform at the track. I suspect you will do better than most might suspect, being 200 lbs. lighter to start!

That said, AMP is certainly a better match for an EB. More tight-technical, not necessarily as fast. Doesn't matter, though. Just get yourself to AMP sometime.
I did AMP through Track Nights in America last year in my Mazdaspeed 3 and you're right, technical and low speed oriented.

I think the EB will do well at Road Atlanta. I should be somewhere around 290whp and 380tq after my intercooler and retune. Come by for sure! What category are you in?

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
How did it go for everyone today? I was in Atlanta yesterday dropping off the truck, trailer, and car. It was cold! I saw it was 33 degrees this morning. I hope everyone had a fun day!

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It went well for me. All four wheels remained on pavement, no failures. Only scary moment was when my class was doing a "Red Flag Drill" where they throw up a red flag and see how you react, then we get brought in and have a quick lecture. Well, I think I missed seeing that at the tower or they threw it right after I passed said tower, and so I was coming around a corner at full speed and all of a sudden cars I didn't know were so close ahead (was catching up to them in that lap) were stopping off to the right smack in my line. A little pucker moment, but no issues. Unfortunately, during our recap after that drill, the next class was out on track and someone in a BMW 3-series crashed hard on the straight. Thankfully, for the driver, fully setup non-DD car (cage, seat, harnesses) and I think the driver is okay, but he was going pretty fast and he spun and threw parts and banged around almost all the way down the straight. Felt so bad. I decided I will go home while I'm ahead, even with one more session available to me.

Other than that, I bested my PB from my September 2016 visit, had some fun with a Miata that seemed to be a good match with my car (high power vs. high corner speed scenario), enjoyed showing a 550HP Vengeance Racing cammed C7 Corvette the ass end of my car (he said his car has more balls than he does, hahah... nice guy).

I like AMP. It's the sort of track that works for me. I like technical over speed. But we'll see how I fair at Road Atlanta later this year which should be much faster.

Again, though, the Conti DW tires... UUUUUG. In the wet, fine and dandy. Once it's dry, skip skip, roll over themselves... UUUUUG! I'm learning from them... but... not a fan.

My TrackAddict app (or the phone) kept freezing or not recording sessions (sometimes not at all or just the the whole thing like a dash cam without times) so I didn't get all of my runs (again). So I just picked this one and rendered the video of it. Shows the set up Miata I had some fun with that session. When I'm behind traffic (where there was a lot of that day, unfortunately), I don't really go as gung-ho as I suppose I can... no real point. But, I got down to 14.0 at one point in this session. This run was 14.1 if I'm lining things up right. I used a different layout. which I like better, but didn't realize I lost the timer with it. Not in the mood to redo it.

[ame]

Oh, I did experience a fuel cut out issue on the last turn (high speed) going on to the straight, which has been reported numerous times before. Filled the tank back up and it never happened again. That was annoying, as it upset the car at a point when I needed to maintain throttle for grip. Arg! Why doesn't Ford work these things out?!

Also learned on this track day that apparently only a short while ago, the Camaro GT4 car was being tested here and the guy saw it get 1:33 (ish?). Not sure if that's like a really great time or not, if I'm honest, but... I doubt I'll be seeing 1:33s at AMP, haha.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I did AMP through Track Nights in America last year in my Mazdaspeed 3 and you're right, technical and low speed oriented.

I think the EB will do well at Road Atlanta. I should be somewhere around 290whp and 380tq after my intercooler and retune. Come by for sure! What category are you in?
I will probably be in Novice Solo (blue). Since I've never done Road Atlanta (with me driving, been in cars, but not driving), I asked to have an instructor... so I may end up in Green.

Sponsored

Garf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I will probably be in Novice Solo (blue). Since I've never done Road Atlanta (with me driving, been in cars, but not driving), I asked to have an instructor... so I may end up in Green.
I believe I'm the same. Novice Solo. I actually had a mishap with my order and picked AMP when I meant RA. Called Jzilla up and he fixed it that moment which was great.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I think [MENTION=10213]stoli[/MENTION] will come to RA now since he couldn't make it to AMP. No point in driving 8 hours for a freezing rainy track day when he can go to the FIRM and lounge on a lawn chair in the nude whilst observing people rip around the course #amiright!

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I think [MENTION=10213]stoli[/MENTION] will come to RA now since he couldn't make it to AMP. No point in driving 8 hours for a freezing rainy track day when he can go to the FIRM and lounge on a lawn chair in the nude whilst observing people rip around the course #amiright!
#FloridaLife

Yeah, but now the question may be which car do I bring? :thumbsup:

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Well... for me it's either a Mustang or a 1992 Honda Accord. I don't have a hard decision.

You... prolly a harder decision! :(

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Well... for me it's either a Mustang or a 1992 Honda Accord. I don't have a hard decision.

You... prolly a harder decision! :(
I don't know that the YUGE car will be completely track ready, or me fully comfortable in it by then, so it will probably be the BLKND one. ;)

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Turning a Miata into a track car requires you driving the Miata to the track, into the paddock, onto the pit lane, and then, and this is going to get crazy... onto the track. I suppose making sure the tires are inflated is helpful.

But you know what you want to bring! We'll be at Road Atlanta, buddy... AMP is Miata territory - you missed that one. Road Atlanta is where big power does its business.

42509819.jpg
Sponsored