Sponsored

NT01 wet track use

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have a set of EC-7s on order and after my searching ive been leaning towards installing the NT01. Does anyone have any input on wet track performance of these tires?
The Pilot SS I ran last year were awesome in the wet conditions, wondering if the Nittos are close?
Sponsored

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
I have a set of EC-7s on order and after my searching ive been leaning towards installing the NT01. Does anyone have any input on wet track performance of these tires?
The Pilot SS I ran last year were awesome in the wet conditions, wondering if the Nittos are close?
Nitto NT01 is not even in the same zip code with the MPSS on a wet track with standing water. Now a damp to drying track the NT01 will do fine.

Peter

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'd get RE71R if you want something in the middle

OP
OP

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thanks Guys. With this info I'll plan on getting the Nittos, But I'll bring my PSS for rain.
I figured if the Nittos were "in the same zip code" I'd leave the PSS at home....Guess I won't.
Thanks

Sponsored

K3NMasterS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a 5.2L Flat Plane
Completely different tires. The RE71 are awesome, but they wear pretty fast. I'm going with NT01 this season, but riding to and from the track on my OE PZeros.

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
Thanks Guys. With this info I'll plan on getting the Nittos, But I'll bring my PSS for rain.
I figured if the Nittos were "in the same zip code" I'd leave the PSS at home....Guess I won't.
Thanks
That is the best plan. Both worlds covered :thumbsup:

Peter

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
I've used NT-01's as my "wet" tires. minimal standing water, but pouring down rain. Many awesome events/races. Usually at tracks with good drainage, and a bout a thousand lb lighter car though... Have not tried them on the stang.

GT0038

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT/sold :(
My buddy took this photo back in January at the SCCA Majors event. Looks like Steeda uses the NT01 as a rain tire for their race car. I believe they won this event.
DSC_0072.jpg

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
My buddy took this photo back in January at the SCCA Majors event. Looks like Steeda uses the NT01 as a rain tire for their race car. I believe they won this event.
Those are new-newish NT01. Anyone with 1-2 track days on NT01's will need another "wet" tire as NT01/s lose a ton of the tread pattern, especially on the outside shoulder, very quickly. It's great in the dry, because they become a slick-like tire and grip until they cord.

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I have NT01s for the Mustang and had rain the first time I used them on the the track - basically sticker tires. They were okay, but not confidence inspiring to say the least. I wouldn't attempt it after they have had a full track day or two.

On my Miata I have RE71Rs and am honestly impressed how well they do in the rain. Granted a 205 vs 275 is entirely different when it comes to water displacement, but they really are good in the rain. I didn't expect that in the least.

When it comes to track days for the Mustang, I'll use my MPSS 'street tire/wheels' and keep the NT01's for dry days.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I love Conti DW tires in the rain - odd amount of confidence with them. F'ing suck when the track is dry (comparatively).

I have 305 NT01s that I have to decide if I'm going to get wheels for and have a dry and wet set or just a dry set. I would not run NT01s in the rain, personally. I am only comfortable with standard summer street tires for wet tracks at my skill level. The Steeda car does run NT01s in dry and rain settings. But it is driven by a driver (drivers, actually) far more skilled than you or I are (well, at least me).

I have been eye'fing the Bridgestone RE-11 tire. It's a step forward from a summer tire but not so far as to be an RE-71 or even farther NT01. It has a good wet track reputation and seems to last notably longer than RE-71s, albeit less grip. RE-71s are really a 200 TW cheater tire... they grip and wear more like a 140 (understanding those TW ratings are manufacturer-specific). I've been in Brent Dalton's car around Road Atlanta with well used RE-71s and was impressed with their grip. Always thought of them as more of a heat up quick auto-x tire.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Best performing tires (best to worst [not an all inclusive list])

Dry
Hoosier R7
Nitto NT01
Bridgestone RE-71R
Michelin Pilot Supper Sports

Wet
Michelin Pilot Supper Sports
Bridgestone RE-71R
Nitto NT01
Hoosier R7

See the pattern?
Or just look at the tire, the more void area it has, the more room it has to channel water.

Driving to the track on MPSS and switching to NT01 for dry track use is a good plan. The hard part is determining when to switch back. Wet is easy, damp changing conditions are when you agonize over which tire. But it easier with street tires than dedicated wet tires, as they are a safe choice, but dedicated wets will get destroyed quickly if it gets too dry.

I have seen people use the NT01 or Toyo R888 (or RA-1) as an intermediate tire.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Yes we did Win the event, the track was wet, but not super wet.
Usually we run on the Hoosiers.
Sponsored