c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I really like the TSW RF wheels (sochi is my favorite) also, but the problem with the 19x10.5 is the offset is 27. I wonder if you can get tsw or another company to "shave" off the hub side of the wheel to effectively raise the offset? I've seen videos of it being done, but not sure if it's a cost effective solution or not? Is this common?

I have an old set of 18x10.5 TSW wheels that barely do fit over the GTPP brakes that I sometimes use at the track. But they do poke quite a bit with the 27 offset.
Sponsored

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Significant attention? As in beyond spacers/studs?
Good question! (I'd be curious to hear the answer.) Also looks like 18x11 would be the ideal rim for that tire.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Significant attention? As in beyond spacers/studs?
As in the right camber, ride height, effective offset (with or without spacers). Plus there is some variation in how wide a given model 295 tire is. Once you get close to the limit, you have to start worying about it.

I currently have 275/35R19s on the front. I am confident I can fit 285/35s with no issues with my current wheels & setup But for a 295, I may need a 5mm spacer and a bit more camber. Do-able, but no longer easy. I am not sure where the no poke limit is for a non Shelby (they have wider front fenders). I suspect it may be 305 if everything else is just right. Course the back has tons of room toward the inside, none of the concerns about hitting the strut like up front.

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
I wouldn't run 20's for a track setup on this car. A 35 aspect tire is not going to have an issue on the track at all, and there are benefits to be had from a taller sidewall too. 20's = heavier and that mass is all further out, so worse inertia (worse acceleration, slower response, worse braking). I also would run a different tire than the RE71R for track use. It's designed to heat up fast and will get greasy much easier than a more track-oriented tire, vs. auto-x tire. Hankook R-S4, Star Specs, RE11's, or if you can spring for them, Sport Cup 2's would be better options.
As someone already said earlier, the RE71R's don't get greasy when hot. Yes there is a drop off in grip, but even when they are over heated they are still very grippy and they don't exhibit any bad behavior like unpredictable breakaway.

And, how do you know how the RS4 is going to be? You got some inside info?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
As someone already said earlier, the RE71R's don't get greasy when hot. Yes there is a drop off in grip, but even when they are over heated they are still very grippy and they don't exhibit any bad behavior like unpredictable breakaway.

And, how do you know how the RS4 is going to be? You got some inside info?
No inside info on the R-S4, but the R-S3 was a very capable tire for track use (and used to be for auto-x until the RE71R and Rival). Those who've run several sets of RE71Rs here didn't find them to get greasy when hot during autocross but only during open track lapping.

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
No inside info on the R-S4, but the R-S3 was a very capable tire for track use (and used to be for auto-x until the RE71R and Rival). Those who've run several sets of RE71Rs here didn't find them to get greasy when hot during autocross but only during open track lapping.
In my experience that just simply isn't true. I was referring to tracking the tire, not auto-x.

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
In my experience that just simply isn't true. I was referring to tracking the tire, not auto-x.
+1 on this....my experience is the RE-71R just gradually loses grip when too hot. If you have your car set up right, it will just start to do a gentle 4-wheel drift at the limit.

No greasiness or scary unpredictable behavior.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the feedback guys. Not everyone has the best perception of what's actually happening.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on this....my experience is the RE-71R just gradually loses grip when too hot. If you have your car set up right, it will just start to do a gentle 4-wheel drift at the limit.

That's been my experience. Too hot and they loose a little grip, but in general they are very well behaved at the limit. Nothing like tires I would describe as 'greasy when hot' and I've driven a few.

Sponsored

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d

That's been my experience too. I have had a drop off in grip when/if they get too hot, but it is a very predictable and forgiving tire under all conditions IMHO.

<TED>

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... does come in a 19x10.5, but that seems overkill for a square 285 setup.
Overkill? Not hardly. 285/35 works very nicely all the way out on 11's, 10.5's are only half an inch above "measuring".

For a track day tire or dual-purpose street/track tire I wouldn't obsess over tire diameter unless it's forcing an upshift right before a braking zone and you're time-trialing. Even for a street-only tire, half an inch or so shorter shouldn't be a deal-breaker if you're looking at max- or extreme-summer performance rubber and that's what the closest size (in adequate load capacity) measures.

FWIW, one of my tire & wheel sets is 265/40's on 9.5" wide wheels. Definitely softer-responding and less precise than the 285/35's on 11's.

Norm

OP
OP

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for all the great feedback guys! I ended up going with the 19x9.5 bathurst with 285/35 RE71. I know 10" would have been a better setup for the 285, but I wanted the lightest wheel for reasonable price, and also not 100% convinced long term on the shorter 285/35 and may end up going back to a 275/40, where the 9.5" rim would be perfect. This car will do a lot more street driving than balls out track time, so compromises have to be made here and there.
Sponsored