Sponsored

Mustang or M240i

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
My recommendation is to drive some BMWs and see how you like them. I was considering an M4 or M2. I drove a few BMWs and I like the Mustang much better. I think a V8 sounds a lot better than a 6, for one. I also don't care for the cheap switch gear inside the BMW. I do think the BMW has a more prestigious look from the outside and some parts of the interior as well.
Exactly! I've had some people think I'm nuts for saying that the BMW interiors aren't that much better than my mustang. I don't think the materials quality is that good until you get up into the super expensive models where everything is wrapped in leather or alcantara. And honestly, the interiors of the current 2/3/4 series cars just looks dated. And I think it's offensive that you have to pay $2300 to get basics like lumbar support in a car that's already $45,000.
Sponsored

OP
OP

dkoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Options make the BMW even more expensive. To get the same options as the mustang I am into 50k. Could have a supercharged PP with full suspension and still money for tires at that rate.
The maintenance after warranty is a bit of a turn off, but I keep my cars for about 3 years then look to trade into something new. The m240i looked better on paper than it did after driving and working out some numbers.
A RWD light v6 hatch or 4t would be very intriguing.

Seatown Stang

HereWeGo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Is the 10 speed that's going to be in the 2018 in anything else? I am not a fan of buying first gen of a new transmission or motor. Been there before and it was terrible.
The auto I have driven before the ford power pack and after. Shifting just seems to slow for track use. It would get annoying.
I believe its also already in the Camaro. The 10 speed was built in collaboration between GM & Ford engineering.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
What is your budget? I don't believe I read that if it was posted.
The A10 is in the ZL1 now. If you need an auto and want to track the car, AND can swing it, the ZL1 A10 is hard to beat.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
The A10 is also currently in the Raptor and ecoboost F150's.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Not going to lie, a modestly tuned (Ford Performance) EB mustang, with an A10 w/MagneRide is going to be a beast in the wild. A strait up no nonsense & competent fun car.

With the new A10, the EB torque curve can be used like you've never seen. 10 gears to keep that engine at it peak torque band, etc.. & when you ask for it.

IMO, a fully loaded EB Mustang will outclass a BMW M240i.

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
I'm going to second this. I have a couple co-workers with BMWs that have passed warranty and it has not been kind to their pocketbooks. And it's not the kind of stuff you can fix on your own. It's all of the electronic goodies that go crazy and it gets wicked wicked expensive.
Just to give an example and to put emphasis on maintenance costs, I used to own a 2012 BMW X535i (Same engine is used in the M235i albeit without the upgrades) and I still remember how much the CPO paid for the repairs plus the car only had 50k miles.

Replaced
Transfer Case: ~$5,500
Turbos: ~$7,000
Valve Cover (2 times): ~$1,200
Rear Brake Pad Sensor (3 times): ~$1,000
IDrive Bluetooth Module (dealer screwed it up while fixing and reprogramming my transfer case): ~$1,000
Hood Latch (yes seriously): ~ < $500
Right Trunk Hatch Strut (:mad:): ~ < $700

In general, I will only lease a German car unless it is on the lines of an M model or AMG. On the bright side of these repairs though, I had alot of fun with their loaner cars :headbang:

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
BMW depreciation is soul crushing. You can get a 2014 M235I for like 28-33K depending on mileage now. Don't get a new 240I.

At least in my area, I'm kind of shocked at how GTs have held value. I expected to find great deals now that we're closing in on 3 years of the GT being out, but I just see tons of GTs 28K+. Odd because I remember being able to get a manual no frills for 30K back then (I realize packages, auto etc adds but still). The M235I prices close to 50K with options and it's similarly priced to GTs.

I really want to get into a GT at some point (It was my plan 2+ yrs ago) but these used prices are surprising in the bay area. Maybe they'll go down after the '18 comes out?

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
BMW depreciation is soul crushing. You can get a 2014 M235I for like 28-33K depending on mileage now. Don't get a new 240I.

At least in my area, I'm kind of shocked at how GTs have held value. I expected to find great deals now that we're closing in on 3 years of the GT being out, but I just see tons of GTs 28K+. Odd because I remember being able to get a manual no frills for 30K back then (I realize packages, auto etc adds but still). The M235I prices close to 50K with options and it's similarly priced to GTs.

I really want to get into a GT at some point (It was my plan 2+ yrs ago) but these used prices are surprising in the bay area. Maybe they'll go down after the '18 comes out?
especially after the warranty wears out, here in Germany law only requires a two year warranty, the price of BMWs plummet after that, as owners try to dump them before the expensive repairs come in, My 3 was junk after 5 years, the repairs would have equaled 40% of the price of the car, I took a huge loss on it just to get rid of it.
My 7 was basically in the same shape, ABS and half the electronics were shot on a 6 year old car, It got totalled in an accident and the insurance payout was pitiful.

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
especially after the warranty wears out, here in Germany law only requires a two year warranty, the price of BMWs plummet after that, as owners try to dump them before the expensive repairs come in, My 3 was junk after 5 years, the repairs would have equaled 40% of the price of the car, I took a huge loss on it just to get rid of it.
My 7 was basically in the same shape, ABS and half the electronics were shot on a 6 year old car, It got totalled in an accident and the insurance payout was pitiful.

I've found that 70K+ miles is typically where the BMW repair tax really starts to hit. I'd be comfortable buying a 30-50K car keeping it for 2 years or so. There are lots of nice BMW lease returns, cars not driven hard at all because the owner bought it for status. The way to do BMW/Merc IMO is to buy a lease return and then get out before the car falls apart.

Not going to lie, a modestly tuned (Ford Performance) EB mustang, with an A10 w/MagneRide is going to be a beast in the wild. A strait up no nonsense & competent fun car.

With the new A10, the EB torque curve can be used like you've never seen. 10 gears to keep that engine at it peak torque band, etc.. & when you ask for it.

IMO, a fully loaded EB Mustang will outclass a BMW M240i.
And a moderately tuned M235I will beat a new Camaro SS in a drag race. Dunno why ppl benchrace stock vs. tuned.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127263

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I've found that 70K+ miles is typically where the BMW repair tax really starts to hit. I'd be comfortable buying a 30-50K car keeping it for 2 years or so. There are lots of nice BMW lease returns, cars not driven hard at all because the owner bought it for status. The way to do BMW/Merc IMO is to buy a lease return and then get out before the car falls apart.
I will never own a BMW again, I would take one as a company car, where all of the maintenance and repairs are covered (350 -450 Euro oil changes:headbonk:) I might consider leasing one if the residuals weren't so bad and I could find a local dealer for service that didn't try to bend me over on the mandatory service.

And a moderately tuned M235I will beat a new Camaro SS in a drag race. Dunno why ppl benchrace stock vs. tuned.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127263
Absolutely right, A 2/3/435 with a tune alone is damn near 400 at the wheels. I was really enjoying beating the snot out of Stock ones on the Autobahn until i came across a 435 with what sounded like full bolt ons (definitely an intake,BOV, and at least a cat back). It was a good run but he walked me pretty bad.

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
You can defiantly get a good deal on new 17 models once the 2018 models roll out but sometimes it depends on the dealer. I've managed to get 8k off my 2016 model and there was an older thread about other members ordering from Koons in VA and having the car shipped to them as they got great deals.

I don't know if this is a factor for the pricing of used Mustang but I think it might be the popularity of the car :)

Plus maintenance is not a PITA like BMW

OP
OP

dkoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
After driving it and looking more into the maintenance cost of the BMW I have decided against it. The whole status and paying more for the badge is dumb. I want the best performing RWD coupe for the money. I decided I will just drive my 2016 less and lay off the track until the 2018 comes out and I can test drive the A10.

The camaro is a hell of a car but personal preference on look I can't buy one. I would rather a 2014 corvette coming off lease or slightly used.

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
After driving it and looking more into the maintenance cost of the BMW I have decided against it. The whole status and paying more for the badge is dumb. I want the best performing RWD coupe for the money. I decided I will just drive my 2016 less and lay off the track until the 2018 comes out and I can test drive the A10.

The camaro is a hell of a car but personal preference on look I can't buy one. I would rather a 2014 corvette coming off lease or slightly used.
Yeah I agree the badge isn't everything, I actually get more attention and compliments in my Mustang than my previous two BMWs. Plus the Mustang has something that most BMWs don't have and that's heritage. I just can't stand the steering feedback on the newer models, the car feels so artificial and numb to the point where it's not fun to drive anymore.

Indeed the Camaro is an impressive vehicle but once I sat inside, my head hits the roof and I am a pretty short guy (5'4").

Reactions: A7X

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost

The ZL1 is a steal for what it is a d I even found a few below MSRP but honestly that or the turbo 4 are the only ones​ I would buy. There are too many compromises made on that platform for a daily driver. Like you, the looks of the car are very important to me and while I like both, the Mustang is the clear winner.
Sponsored