Sponsored

V6 tunes worth it ?

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Oh shit ya man I'm only 26, I have a lot of respect for the old guard of coders. Ya everything's done half ass these days cause if threes a problem they can just send out an update. After I update the tuner I close the program and restart it before uploading tunes in case it's hung in the background, last thing I want to do is brick my car, and I've bricked many cell phones flashing them, not fun. Will be waiting on that mpt review thanks.
Sponsored

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
I got a question and don't know where else to ask it, is there a site where you can actually get written instructions on how to use the SCT4. I was informed last night that I'm going to my sister-in-laws this weekend. I wanted to return my car to stock but there is no return to stock like my SCT3 has. Under program vehicle there is no option that I can see to do that. Tried calling SCT and I was told that my number in line was 0 and then was imeadiatly told if I pressed one I would be called back when my number was up. Five times until I called back a little later and was told the same thing so I did press one. I guess my number isn't up yet.:frusty: So how the hell do you return the car to stock!!

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
It should have the option to return to stock. Same menu where you load the tune if I remember correctly. If it sin't there either you didn't load a tune or SCT4 flash memory failed. Though if that happened you'd have nothing there.

Edit: I just went and double checked. Return to stock is in the program vehicle menu. It'll be left of the continue prompt after selecting program vehicle. I'll take a picture in a bit.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
It should have the option to return to stock. Same menu where you load the tune if I remember correctly. If it sin't there either you didn't load a tune or SCT4 flash memory failed. Though if that happened you'd have nothing there.

Edit: I just went and double checked. Return to stock is in the program vehicle menu. It'll be left of the continue prompt after selecting program vehicle. I'll take a picture in a bit.
Thanks Fuse, I'd appreciate that. When I go to Program Vehicle I have four options, three of which are my MPT tunes and one says v6 Mustang. When I pushed that the page where you change parameters like gears, idle rpm, and etc, so I stopped pushing buttons there. Already had to send this tuner back to SCT once so I'm a little nervous about experimenting with the buttons, have you noticed how I keep calling them buttons.:shrug: I know these programs are designed to be hard to screw up, but that means nothing when I start pushing buttons.

Sponsored

cmorris975

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Hey D Berry,

I just loaded the 93 octane MPT performance tune myself yesterday and noticed the same thing. I've got the 3 MPT tunes that I bought and loaded on the programmer and then then "V6" tune that was already there. I'm wondering how to return to stock as well.

As an aside, the MPT tune is fantastic! Car is way more responsive now. I love it.

Chris

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
I got a question and don't know where else to ask it, is there a site where you can actually get written instructions on how to use the SCT4. I was informed last night that I'm going to my sister-in-laws this weekend. I wanted to return my car to stock but there is no return to stock like my SCT3 has. Under program vehicle there is no option that I can see to do that. Tried calling SCT and I was told that my number in line was 0 and then was imeadiatly told if I pressed one I would be called back when my number was up. Five times until I called back a little later and was told the same thing so I did press one. I guess my number isn't up yet.:frusty: So how the hell do you return the car to stock!!
It sounds like if you didn't return your SCTx4 to stock before uploading the MPT programs the SCTx4 only has the MPT programs.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Sorry for the delay. I'm having issues with photobucket so I can't post a picture but I did find a picture online that shows it. Return to stock link.
You can see return to stock between exit and continue prompts.

The SCTx4 should have a separate file/entry for the stock tune so that it doesn't get overwritten/deleted regardless if you upload a new tune.

I made a backup of my stock tune. If you guys really need to return to stock you can try using mine. Assuming it works with other V6s.

EDIT: Try to retrieve the stock tune from the device. Load up the SCT program and under the Advanced Operations click the "Get Stock File form Device". Follow the instructions and save the file somewhere. It should work if you loaded a custom tune since the SCTx4 should have saved it.

Last edited:

cmorris975

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Sorry for the delay. I'm having issues with photobucket so I can't post a picture but I did find a picture online that shows it. Return to stock link.

The SCTx4 should have a separate file/entry for the stock tune so that it doesn't get overwritten/deleted regardless if you upload a new tune.

I made a backup of my stock tune. If you guys really need to return to stock you can try using mine. Assuming it works with other V6s.

EDIT: Try to retrieve the stock tune from the device. Load up the SCT program and under the Advanced Operations click the "Get Stock File form Device". Follow the instructions and save the file somewhere. It should work if you loaded a custom tune since the SCTx4 should have saved it.
Hey Fuse,

Thanks for posting this. I did as you described and the SCT program found the flash/stock file and downloaded it onto my computer. It's a .bef file while the MPT tunes I have have .cef extensions. Not sure how to use this .bef file but I think you are on the right track.

Chris

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
So yes the file extension will be ".bef" instead of the ".cef". From what I understand this is intentional so people can't mess with the file. SCT or your tuner will need to convert the file from ".bef" to ".cef" before you can load it back to the SCTx4.

Sponsored

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
Mine did the same thing it went from stock file to v6 mustang but luckily I saved my stock file on my laptop and a hard drive .... so what your saying is I need to contact mpt and get them to convert the file send it back to me then I can put it back on the sctx4

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
It would seem so. I haven't found a way to load the .bef file to the SCTx4. I'm pretty sure the SCTx4 only reads .cef files anyways.

cmorris975

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
It would seem so. I haven't found a way to load the .bef file to the SCTx4. I'm pretty sure the SCTx4 only reads .cef files anyways.
Yeah, I tried to load the .bef file onto the SCT and the program didn't seem to "see" it. It just sees my .cef MPT tunes in my tunes folder on my desktop.

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
Ooooook so just got off the phone with sct tech support and I explained that wen I updated the X4 it changed the stock file to V6 mustang and I wanted to be sure that it was still the same stock file...... he explained that as long as if you follow the steps on the tuner for returning to stock and it doesn't throw back a error code it is still the stock file and for whatever reason it just changed the name

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6

Thanks a bunch "Fuse", for your efforts to help, I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest here. Some of the stuff seems to make me even more confused, cef bef I don't even know what a file extension is. Since I have to drive this car to Nashville TN today then it isn't a good time to be experimenting. "USMCv6" mentioned something about returning to stock before uploading, but I just got the tuner, updated it and loaded tunes, and then loaded the tune in the car. Yes and "cmorris975" it is a great tune but with all the problems that I've had with the tuner itself, SCT has already had it back once to do god knows what to it. I just wish I still had my $400 instead of this tuner.:rant:
Sponsored