Sponsored

Mad Moxxi- Loving those curves

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost
Back in a Mustang again.

Traded my modded 2013 Focus ST in for Deep Impact Blue 2016 Ecoboost Mustang- Premium with Performance Pack-

First things first, yep her name is Moxxi, named after the character from Borderlands. Yes she is an automatic, with little to no cartilage left in my knee I could not continue to drive a manual (still find myself reaching for the clutch though)

With 6700 Miles on her, she already had an Andersons Composites Hood and GT350R carbon fiber wing, MMD Quarter window scoops, MMD Rear Window louvers and as yet to be identified side scoops. Underneath the hood found a Cobb Intercooler, MRBP catted downpipe, Roush intake and Borla Attak exhaust

Inside, G350 style steering wheel, MMD start button cover... Suspicious of the amount of power I was getting for a supposedly stock car I took it to a local COBB dealer, hooking it up to an AP3 confirmed my suspicions, a tune was already loaded (looking forward to that conversation with the dealer) So had my Focus ST AP3 reprogrammed so at least I can make changes with Adam once I get to that point.

Took her for a 500 mile drive to the coast on the third day of ownership, came home and ordered Steed IRS Frame Braces, Jacking rails and Husky mats. Also tinted the puddle lamps blue.

Got annoyed at the Cheap 80's 2.3 Turbocharged emblems,removed them and replaced them with Powered by Ford Racing emblems.

After a couple weeks, I could not stand the gap anymore and ordered Steeda Coilovers along with IRS alignment kit and differential bushings. I will post install pics on all and impressions soon
211257d1488088930-goodbye-focus-st-s-been-interesting-_dai9041.jpg
211281d1488088932-goodbye-focus-st-s-been-interesting-_dai9122.jpg
20170402-_DAI9284-web.jpg
20170402-_DAI9277-web.jpg
20170408-_DAI9301-web.jpg
20170408-_DAI9313-web.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Post rolled into followup

Last edited:
OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got her jacked up- And installed the IRS alignment kit from Steeda. Super easy install- Then installed shocks after figuring out how to assemble them, The biggest issue was actually installing the shock mounts and torquing the upper nut. A 21mm Strut nut as picture below makes things a whole lot easier to torque the nut down properly.

Spring install was fairly straight forward. Set the drop to the minimum drop of 3/4 inch. Ride was surprisingly improved. I had read all the raves about the shock mounts and not quite believed they could make such a huge difference. Shocks (Steeda Proaction adjustable) were set to one turn from soft.

Next installed the Steeda IRS braces. Big improvement in wheel hop, its still there, but much more manageable. Car at this point felt more planted, going into a corner where previously I would get wheel hop stepping on the gas, car digs in with minimal fuss.

Despite having 1000# springs in the rear now, with the stocks still in front, the ride was much more predictable, the nose staying even rather than squatting like a drag car every time the gas was applied, and the huge speed bumps on my block did not unsettle the car as much as they had before.

Not wanting to tackle the fronts on my own (broke my hand a few years ago when a cheap spring compressor broke) I scheduled an appointment with a local shop, RPM Northwest that had worked on my previous cars. Figuring on just waiting while they did the install and than driving to the coast, the owner of the shop, Sean, asked me if I wanted to borrow a car and come back when he called to say it was done. Sure, sounded good, and he tossed me the keys to his 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302.....

Well, after realizing he wasn't pulling my leg, I hauled out of there, a bucket list item checked off, having dreamed about driving a Boss since I was 12 after seeing them tear it up at Laguna Seca, I was grinning ear to ear. Picked my daughter up at high school to take her to lunch much to her delight (she loves Mustangs, the louder the better). The BOSS was everything I had expected it to be, the harder you pushed it the more it seemed to dig in and beg for more.3 tanks of gas later, my ears ringing from the exhaust, after exploring every canyon road I could find, I returned the Boss and picked up my ride.

What a difference a bit of a drop makes with these cars! A little nervous that I had chosen a very stiff spring, I found that the 350# springs were just right, rigid without being jarring, the car now feels extremely dialed in, you can feel the road, but the shocks pull out enough of the stiffness that the missus has not complained (hallelujah) Car dives into a corner with out any lean, the little hops and bobbing up and down from the stock suspension are gone, the closest car I have ever driven to describe the feeling was an M3 CSL, very rigid, you can feel the road without being sore or loosing a filling and the car seems incredibly responsive. I expect after I get an alignment it will be that much better, installing differential bushings and IRS bushing support kit this weekend, so wanted to wait on that just in case I messed up the alignment
20170506_141604.jpg
20170506_141823.jpg
20170506_141923.jpg
20170513_122957.jpg
20170506_142216.jpg
20170506_182526.jpg
20170519_121317.jpg
Untitled_HDR2.jpg
Untitled_HDR6.jpg
_MG_3314.jpg
_MG_3355.jpg
_MG_3347.jpg

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Great feedback & the what a photo shoot ... amazing backdrop!

Many thanks for your support.

TJ

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, was at the gym and some jackass left white paint transfer on the front drivers side parking to close to me. Of course I was parked in the furthest corner of the parking lot to avoid this crap... so no video camera and no note. Luckily clear bra took the damage, the couple scratches after I stopped contemplating murder and drone strikes buffed out nicely. Getting clear bra fixed next week. WTF is wrong with people that they cant leave a note with insurance information? And why the hell can you park a mile from anything and still come out and find someones POS parked close to your ride.... Argh.. time for some Buffalo Trace

Sponsored

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed the Steeda IRS Bushing Support kit and 2 of the 4 differential bushings- could not get the front two in, could not get the IRS frame to drop enough to fit the bolts in. Made more difference then I was expecting, car feels like it hooks up better now from a stop and coming out of a corner, there is definitely less hop. A bit more NVH (went with the black bushings) but nothing horrible that turning up the radio wont make go away.

Next on the Steeda front, installed the 4 pt k-member brace and strut tower brace not really expecting much change.... I was happy to be wrong, car feels more go-kart like, steering response feels more predictable and rapid. Less tire squeal from the front tires, I assume because the car feels flatter now.

Going to tackle those last two differential bushings next and try again, then off to the alignment rack. Car is feeling much more predictable at this point, most of the wallow is gone, the annoying bounce is gone, I feel much more confident throwing it into the curves now. Latest Sticking point for handling now seems to be the seats and lack of bolsters, definitely fighting to stay upright in the corners before approaching actual grip limits. Starting to look at Cobra and Corbeau FIA approved seats, should be good for losing nearly 100 pounds to.

Waiting on UPS to drop off a Turbosmart BOV, 160 degree thermostat and a PCV Baffle Plate

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update:

Hehe- the internal 12 year old is happy again. Installed the Turbosmart, not quite as loud as I was hoping, but definitely a positive difference in how much boost the car is holding.

Of course its hard not to play with that gas pedal to get the fwoosh sound from the BOV-Wife and neighbors must thing I am an idiot. Install was fairly straight forward- Watched the CJPony parts install video over and over, flipped when I got it and it didn't match the parts..... Anybody installing it, click on the PDF under the install video at CJ and you will get the correct instructions.

Took some better pictures of it over the last week or so
_DAI9617.jpg
_DAI9642.jpg
_DAI9643.jpg
_DAI9645.jpg

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got a chance to pose her with an F-16 from the Thunderbirds Demonstration team!
_DAI9938-test.jpg

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn lack of self control! SVE 350R 19x10 wheels ordered along with new rubber, (Federal RS RR'S).

Amazon and LMR should really get their act together, I made this order minutes ago, whole minutes but still no tracking info ! Ah, patience, its a virtue, and when it comes to waiting for car parts, I don't have it.

While obsessively hitting the refresh button for tracking info for the next couple weeks plans include pulling the awful chrome pony off the decklid, filling the holes sanding and having it hyrdodipped to match the carbon fiber wing.

Once the wheels and tires are installed next step is to see about increasing the drop on the coilovers about another .25 of an inch and getting an alignment.

Then- I want to burn these F*!^@! Pirellis and cackle as their horrible little souls scream in torment. (Sleep deprivation may be an issue currently)

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Had any issues with that Anderson hood? I've been thinking about getting one of those and their fenders in carbon fiber.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only time I have had an issue with it was at around 140 it started to flutter. I am currently debating aerolatches for some added security, at normal speeds no issues.

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Washing the car today, taking her out for a professional photoshoot tomorrow. lowered her about 3/4" got the alignment done, handling really nicely, loving the RR's (except for the road noise which just means I have to go faster).

Ordered a catch can, throttle body spacer and intake spacer from Boomba (in blue of course) really wish they would teach other manufacturers how to write instructions...Next step in a couple weeks ordering wastegate actuator, spark plugs and a tune from Stratified. Will post pics of new wheels setup next week.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was not really happy with the photoshoot, happy with the way the car handles and looks though.
SL4C9651.jpg
SL4C9674.jpg
SL4C9684.jpg
SL4C9687.jpg
SL4C9693.jpg
SL4C9707.jpg
SL4C9723.jpg

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Started working on a poster for shows, like the pic but not the layout
Show-Poster.jpg

OP
OP

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So car is now at perfect ride height, handles like a dream, taking a couple of my favorite corners at 15-20mph faster and feels much more planted. Have to be a little more careful on my sloped driveway and speedbumps, dialed shocks down to 1 turn from full soft.

Wheels:
SVE R350 19x10 square- dropped ~40lbs rotating mass- Larger tires are 1.5 lbs more than the pirellis so total savings works out to -34lbs of rotating mass. Love the design, glad I went with the carbon color, best description I can give for it is Ford Magnetic Grey, looks great, does not show brake dust as bad as gloss black wheels did.

Tires: Federal 275/35/19 RR SS-
Pro's: more grip, more confidence, car feels more point and shoot now. At near freezing tires are still gripping and much better grip in the rain than the Pirellis
Cons: these things sound like a distant jet that is always just over the horizon- very noisy

Waiting on a catch can, throttlebody/manifold spacers and spark plugs. Next step will be 10psi wategate actuator and a tune from Stratified
Sponsored

Last edited: