Davepurp

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
As a Jeep owner, I second this.....
Thirds, they are not the best

I was also in between a 2016 scat pack challanger and a 2016 SS2 before I ended up going with my 2015 Mustang GTPP. The other cars were good, but couldnt provide the end game I was looking for. All around the Mustang was the best rounded car. If I were to ever replace my GT with a similar Model year it would only be with a GT350
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wally

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger Scat Pack
You can also lease a Hellcat for couple grand down and $500-$600 a month.
I've heard that circulating around online. Pretty crazy but I'm not sure about leasing.

OP
OP
Wally

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind FCA is not exactly known for reliability or trouble free ownership.
As a Jeep owner, I second this.....
I have a Dodge truck, I won't own a Dodge ever again. Biggest piece of sh*t I ever owned.
I would be shocked if a new dodge had as many issues as I've had with the mustang. It's been at the dealer for repairs for a total of about 4 weeks in 16 months of ownership. Absolutely unacceptable.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
my uncle had a 15 rt for about 6 months and got rid of it due to the number of issues. A/C failed. Infotainment failed 2x, the red leather was already fading and wearing. It was a nice car when it was brand new. They still build them like POS though. Maybe he got a lemon, but that confirmed to the rest of us we won't be buying a FCA product any time soon. On the other hand my roommate's dad bought a new ram 1500 about a year ago with no issues. Just luck of the draw I guess.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I would be shocked if a new dodge had as many issues as I've had with the mustang. It's been at the dealer for repairs for a total of about 4 weeks in 16 months of ownership. Absolutely unacceptable.
It is random chance sometimes people get the "bad" ones and you have the right to be pissed, I would be. What have you had issues with?

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Thirds, they are not the best

I was also in between a 2016 scat pack challanger and a 2016 SS2 before I ended up going with my 2015 Mustang GTPP. The other cars were good, but couldnt provide the end game I was looking for. All around the Mustang was the best rounded car. If I were to ever replace my GT with a similar Model year it would only be with a GT350
I am in the same boat, I would have loved to roll in a lime green scat pack chally but at this point my heart is set on a 2016 track pack 350.....one day......

OP
OP
Wally

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is random chance sometimes people get the "bad" ones and you have the right to be pissed, I would be. What have you had issues with?
Oh you know, the usual. Broken suspension from a pothole at parking lot speed, broken AC because ford decided to use shitty parts, rattles in the interior, ventilated seats just don't work even after having ford perform the TSB "fix" and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting about. I'm tired of having to take the car to get fixed and it has really killed the enjoyment of owning it.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I mean, if you were asking for a company that could give you a vehicle with as bad of an experience as you had with your S550, I'd say lean toward FCA. My brother in law had to trade in his 2014 Ram Laramie with 6000 miles on it because the front end would not hold an alignment and FCA wouldn't lemon law it. He ended up getting an identical 2015 Laramie and the alignment was off the day he bought it :doh:. Luckily that one was fixed and I believe so far has been fine.

Its a crap shoot these days IMO, it seems like every manufacturer is focusing on the tech arms race and initial quality with little regard to reliability. GM and Ford are right up there obviously, hell a friend of mine at a BMW dealer was telling me last week about a lot of new X5's coming in with totally dead iDrive systems.

I get your frustration and a lot of the SRT products sound awesome on paper. Roll the dice if you dare, if it all works out you'll have something real fun.

OP
OP
Wally

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean, if you were asking for a company that could give you a vehicle with as bad of an experience as you had with your S550, I'd say lean toward FCA. My brother in law had to trade in his 2014 Ram Laramie with 6000 miles on it because the front end would not hold an alignment and FCA wouldn't lemon law it. He ended up getting an identical 2015 Laramie and the alignment was off the day he bought it :doh:. Luckily that one was fixed and I believe so far has been fine.

Its a crap shoot these days IMO, it seems like every manufacturer is focusing on the tech arms race and initial quality with little regard to reliability. GM and Ford are right up there obviously, hell a friend of mine at a BMW dealer was telling me last week about a lot of new X5's coming in with totally dead iDrive systems.

I get your frustration and a lot of the SRT products sound awesome on paper. Roll the dice if you dare, if it all works out you'll have something real fun.
That sounds pretty frustrating with the truck. I feel like I just need to get rid of this particular car. Maybe even a different S550 would be fine as there are plenty of people here with no issues.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
First thing you need to understand is every car has issues. Everyone. BMW, Honda, Toyota, Tesla, Ford, GM, ect.

Design issues, build issues, component issues, supplier issues.

I would be absolutely and genuinely shocked if you had no issues with a Dodge.

I wish no one ill will with cars, car troubles suck, and I am actually a big casual Mopar fan. There was two awesome cars in Bullitt after all.

I have alot of insight to FCA, and problems exist. And they are very well documented. It's in FCA's corporate structure, how resources are allocated, when things get funded, who reports to who, and when, changes get rammed down programs throats ect. That magnify their other issues.

That exists everywhere, but to a much lessor extent at the other Big two.

My Fathers Chargers trans died at 83K, all highway, all service done, as it was a stipend company car. He now has had two Malibu's and plans on getting another one.

I wont even go into the three Intrepid's, the 300, and the old Pacificia we have had. We don't drive FCA products any more, maybe in a few years. Now it's only Fords and GMs, and a sweet ass Miata.

I am seriously considering the new Jeep truck through. As it is a systemically improved platform. Versus a complete re-imagining or clean slate.

My buddy who works for FCA, has a Cherokee it needed a new BCM from day one took two months to figure out what it was. It has excess brake noise and brake system wear. He did get some Mopar cash out of it, but likely due to him working directly for FCA.

My other buddy who now works for GM had similar issues with his Patriot, his new Ram has been good to him but it only has 11k on the clock.

My coworkers Cherokee SRT has some fierce interior rattling and fitment issues, paint bubbling, so it is going back to the dealer a third time in 6 months. Runs like a raped ape though.

FCA is getting alot better, and the new Pacificia is probably their best vehicle in alot of ways. It is the first new "Chrysler" product.

I am passively excited for the new L car, but there is still not alot of direction for where it is going. The only positive with the old one is they have had a fair amount of time to get most major issues sorted with the Challenger. It still has them, some are systematic, some are not. I definitely wouldn't want a "Friday" car.

Then you have to look at the whole thing collectively. We are a minority of a minority here. The Mustang is built in enough volume that something that seems like a huge problem here could get dropped from a tracking sheet in a rounding function in an excel speedsheet or realigned in priority. Ford doesn't just have people aimlessly waiting. Vehicle teams change size.

Are there known issues with the S550? Yes. That is why bring up every concern I have at the dealer. To make sure they get entered and tracked to build a better product in the future.

Are there known issues with the LA Challenger? Yup. Oh Yea.

You will never truly escape it. Once you realize it's part of the game, and things are only compounded due to customer's demands to have the safest, most contented, low emissions, high horsepower, RWD car that drives through weather like an AWD, best interior materials, built in the US, but for the price of some imported decontented turd, that hasn't innovated in 10 years. You will understand. Oh and that all needed to happen yesterday. You really begin to appreciate the effort that goes into the vehicles, even ones with issues.

Having a good dealer is also key.

A person has to be certain in what they want, what they are willing to pay for it, and what you are willing to deal with when they buy a car. Then purchase it at the appropriate time in the programs life cycle.

You can say certain things are unacceptable, and that is true. And how a company or dealer supports that affects that alot. That being said. Cars are incredible complexe machines, that have to be built cheaply, and there are certain truths that one cannont avoid.

Like Job 1 cars. They generally have more issues than others, and the generally go through more checks, and often have higher quality materials.

That is true with any of them.

If the op wants a Challenger more power to him. I hope it treats them well. I can get an awesome deal on one, heck I can probably talk to one person and watch it get built on the line. But the car doesn't check enough boxes to make me spend money on it. Maybe the next one.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Wally

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First thing you need to understand is every car has issues. Everyone. BMW, Honda, Toyota, Tesla, Ford, GM, ect.

Design issues, build issues, component issues, supplier issues.

I would be absolutely and genuinely shocked if you had no issues with a Dodge.
I appreciate your perspective, sounds like you have a lot of experience with FCA. I suppose it is just a roll of the dice like you said. I got a bad roll on my S550 and while Ford has fixed or attempted to fix most of my issues I'm still tired of it. My last car was a 2012 base accord sedan which I owned for almost 4 years. I never had a single issue with it. My step father has a '92 CRV with just under 300k miles, never had any issues with it. I'm starting to think I should give up on the idea of owning an American v8 car and just get a new accord coupe v6 or something.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had so many issues with my last Accord; I will never own another. I've found Fords to be way more reliable than Japanese vehicles.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I appreciate your perspective, sounds like you have a lot of experience with FCA. I suppose it is just a roll of the dice like you said. I got a bad roll on my S550 and while Ford has fixed or attempted to fix most of my issues I'm still tired of it. My last car was a 2012 base accord sedan which I owned for almost 4 years. I never had a single issue with it. My step father has a '92 CRV with just under 300k miles, never had any issues with it. I'm starting to think I should give up on the idea of owning an American v8 car and just get a new accord coupe v6 or something.
They have their issues as well. But Honda's and Toyota's fall into that category of very slow incremental change. However that lends itself to less variables and unknowns in development.

They are generally a very safe buy, and are criticized for things that most people are able to deal with on a daily basis.

The funny thing is Ford is very similar with every other vehicle, but the Mustang.

I don't think you can go wrong with getting a Honda or Toyota, however that is a whole separate segment and doesn't have the same constraints, expectations, ect...

They are definitely a very different car for a daily driver.

OP
OP
Wally

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had so many issues with my last Accord; I will never own another. I've found Fords to be way more reliable than Japanese vehicles.
That sucks man. I guess it really is a crap shoot these days on buying a new car. I had a G35 coupe before my accord that had the oil consumption issue the VQ engines are known for. Brand new engine replaced under warranty at like 45k miles.

They have their issues as well. But Honda's and Toyota's fall into that category of very slow incremental change. However that lends itself to less variables and unknowns in development.

They are generally a very safe buy, and are criticized for things that most people are able to deal with on a daily basis.

The funny thing is Ford is very similar with every other vehicle, but the Mustang.

I don't think you can go wrong with getting a Honda or Toyota, however that is a whole separate segment and doesn't have the same constraints, expectations, ect...

They are definitely a very different car for a daily driver.
Totally. I just want something fast, fun, good looking and reliable. Not sure there exists a car that is all 4.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Totally. I just want something fast, fun, good looking and reliable. Not sure there exists a car that is all 4.
Definitely not a Honda then, unless you have super low standards. :)

Since you didn't mention affordable, you can sure get there if you spend enough. I would go Porsche 911 Turbo.
Sponsored