Sponsored

Ecoboost Mustang Vs. Fiesta ST

Gnx300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Hello, I'm new to the forums, but I recently just traded my 2015 Fiesta ST for a 2015 Ecoboost Mustang. For those of you wondering why I did this, please read on.

The Fiesta ST is a great car, no doubt. It was a very agile and powerful car for it's size. However, being front wheel drive, I would always be afraid of pulling up to a regular everyday cars such as an Altima 3.5 V6, Accord V6, or anything else that could pull a 0-60 of less than 6.5 sec. I understand that this is not the Fiesta ST's strongest point, and that the car excels on the twisties. I can agree with this, but I can also attest to the fact that I've never raced a car on the twisties, only from the stoplight and on the interstate.

With the Ecoboost Mustang, I've been able to get up to 37 mpg on a 30 mile trip, and get a 5.3 0-60 when tested. The Mustang feels heavier than the Fiesta ST, sure, but the performance ceiling is much higher.

For a daily driver, the mustang ecoboost for me is the much better choice. The base level options alone make the switch worthwhile. Would the Fiesta ST whoop me on an autocross course? Perhaps. But in my daily endeavors, I've never raced a car in those conditions.

Again, this my own observations, with a daily driver car, driving 60 miles each day in regular traffic. The Fiesta ST is manual only which I love except when in bumper to bumper traffic. The S550 Automatic is a very nice transmission both in day to day traffic as well as when you are wanting to race.

Also, as a side note, it seemed that when I was in the Fiesta ST, I seemed much more eager to prove myself than I am in the Ecoboost Mustang, if that makes sense.
Sponsored

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
Makes sense, I drive the fiesta pretty aggressive usually... in the mustang I just cruise mostly.

I love them both, great cars.

Plus..... the mustang looks way better right?!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
I've owned both. Fiesta st and now ecoboost premium. The ST was pretty quick, handled well, and got a little better mpg than my ecoboost stang. It was too small and felt like a chics car honestly. The premium interior is light years ahead than the st. It did sticker for about 13k more so it's hard to really make that a fair comparison though. The mustang is definitely more solid feeling when driving. The stang also is much faster and has much less road noise. Also the stang seems to absorb bumps much better. Really to me there is no contest between the two. The mustang is a different class of car. If someone was on a budget though I could really see a fiesta ST fitting the bill nicely.

Having owned both for an extended period I can say without hesitation that you made a solid upgrade compared to the st.

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Both have their place in auto-dom. Here is a video to ponder.

[ame]

Sponsored

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
I've owned both. Fiesta st and now ecoboost premium. The ST was pretty quick, handled well, and got a little better mpg than my ecoboost stang. It was too small and felt like a chics car honestly. The premium interior is light years ahead than the st. It did sticker for about 13k more so it's hard to really make that a fair comparison though. The mustang is definitely more solid feeling when driving. The stang also is much faster and has much less road noise. Also the stang seems to absorb bumps much better. Really to me there is no contest between the two. The mustang is a different class of car. If someone was on a budget though I could really see a fiesta ST fitting the bill nicely.

Having owned both for an extended period I can say without hesitation that you made a solid upgrade compared to the st.
yours must have been stock. Mine was full BPU Cobb everything. I ran heads up with a ECo stang to 100 on a OTS map. The recaros were wonderful and it would run circles around a Eco on the track. No questions.

ecolulz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecostang, magnetic, base, PP, Recaros
I have both a Fiesta ST with Koni single-adj w/bridgestone re71r, and a Ecostang 6mt, PP, recaros. My Fiesta most certainly will not run circles around my Stang, either at a roadcourse or an autox. I love them both, but in different ways for different reasons. I pax better in F-street in the mustang than I do in h-street in the Fiesta, and the Mustang is bone stock, do I'm curious how the Mustang will do on proper tires (tho those Pirellis are surprising).

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I like the idea of the Fiesta ST, because smaller, lighter cars make sense as performance platforms. I wish Ford would make them more comfortable for full sized humans. I'm larger than average at 6'4" and I have a wide frame, but it's not like I'm football lineman sized or anything.

I'd love to see future additions where you can select a couple options on interior layout to improve this.

ecolulz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I could run an LSD and some camber on the ST without getting classed into oblivion, the ST might pull ahead in my book. As it sits now, I love being able to put power down in the Mustang. That, and the torque-vectoring shenanigans annoys me. It works great on the street, but on the track it's odd and generates lots of brake temp.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
OP IMO you made a very solid upgrade. Wrong wheel drive is the worst performance platform to dive off in. Between the torque steer, wheel hop and lack of traction I would never do another front drive performance car! My last was a dodge Stage3 SRT-4. The EB stang is a great car. It has it all over the ST in exterior looks. Has an incredible interior compared to the econobox ST. And in any performance test that matters it'll out hustle the ST.

Sponsored

ecolulz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrong wheel drive is the worst performance platform to dive off in. Between the torque steer, wheel hop and lack of traction I would never do another front drive performance car!
I understand where you're coming from, as I jokingly call it "wrong wheel drive" as well. Honestly though, I'll take a good FWD platform over a mediocre RWD platform (NOT talking S550 here) any day. An SRT-4 can be brutally fast, but definitely lacks the refinement or some other platforms. Something like an MK7 GTI is shockingly good, it might be a fun test drive, just for fun. :cheers:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I understand where you're coming from, as I jokingly call it "wrong wheel drive" as well. Honestly though, I'll take a good FWD platform over a mediocre RWD platform (NOT talking S550 here) any day. An SRT-4 can be brutally fast, but definitely lacks the refinement or some other platforms. Something like an MK7 GTI is shockingly good, it might be a fun test drive, just for fun. :cheers:
Actually my SRT4 had the factory stage3 coilover suspension. It was about as precise a front drive car as you could get from a dealer. The problem with all front driver is you can't come out of a turn hot without compromising your line. I find over steer is much easier to correct that the plowing under steer of the front drivers. With that said. If someone wants to toss me the keys to their GTI I'll happy plow thru corners in it all day at a auto cross.:cheers:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I traded a Focus ST for my Ecoboost Mustang. The Focus was tuned with an exhaust and intake, it was slightly quicker than the Mustang stock. The Mustang with a tune, intake and exhaust is significantly quicker than the tuned Focus. Both cars have handling capability far beyond what a responsible person can use on the street. I did find the steering of the ST to be a little to quick to be totally comfortable for a daily driver. My Mustang is a Premium with the Performance Package and it has a more comfortable and quieter ride than the Focus. Overall the Mustang interior is a much nicer place to spend time.

I had an opportunity to thrash a Fiesta ST and Focus ST back to back at one of the Ford Ecoboost Challenges. Even though I was about a second faster around the autocross course in the Fiesta the Focus was much more satisfying to drive. The Focus pulled harder out of the corners and was significantly faster on the straights which was something I could feel in the seat of my pants. The fact that the Fiesta made up for it by being faster through the corners was only noticeable by the clock. Personally I could never be satisfied with a Fiesta ST, it looks and feels like the entry level economy car that it is and I just felt cramped in it.

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Actually my SRT4 had the factory stage3 coilover suspension. It was about as precise a front drive car as you could get from a dealer. The problem with all front driver is you can't come out of a turn hot without compromising your line. I find over steer is much easier to correct that the plowing under steer of the front drivers. With that said. If someone wants to toss me the keys to their GTI I'll happy plow thru corners in it all day at a auto cross.:cheers:
Its a neon, dodge sucks when it comes to suspension, its a neon.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
What components made up the stage 3 suspension? Hint the coilovers weren't made by dodge. Nice try.
Sponsored