Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
So, while we were talking about GT500 Chevy came up with NA 5.5 32V 700hp on new Z28

http://blog.caranddriver.com/a-new-...is-still-on-the-way-heres-everything-we-know/
I read that too, I can't imagine that what is there is true, or if it is what kind of price tag that car will come with. 700 NA hp? Titanium connecting rods? is this going to be a 6 figure Camaro? Seems like there would be all kinds of cannibalization and upset Z06 owners if this was the case.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So, while we were talking about GT500 Chevy came up with NA 5.5 32V 700hp on new Z28

http://blog.caranddriver.com/a-new-...is-still-on-the-way-heres-everything-we-know/
How hilarious would it be to see the GM fans twist themselves into knots explaining how dual overhead cam engines are now great!!?? :lol:

No they aren't top heavy. Not compact - who cares!! :ford:

Oh - and of course it would be awesome if GM copied Ford and made a FPC engine. Very, very cool stuff. History of the Camaro... always a couple years behind the Mustang.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I read that too, I can't imagine that what is there is true, or if it is what kind of price tag that car will come with. 700 NA hp? Titanium connecting rods? is this going to be a 6 figure Camaro? Seems like there would be all kinds of cannibalization and upset Z06 owners if this was the case.
The 2006 Z06 has titanium rods.

If that is true a 700hp NA camaro is born I might have to buy one. 127+ hp/L. Nuts. I won't believe until I see it though.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
The 2006 Z06 has titanium rods.

If that is true a 700hp NA camaro is born I might have to buy one. 127+ hp/L. Nuts. I won't believe until I see it though.
interesting on the 2006 z06, i wasn't aware of that.

I still remain highly skeptical on the rest. It doesn't add up.

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
How hilarious would it be to see the GM fans twist themselves into knots explaining how dual overhead cam engines are now great!!?? :lol:

No they aren't top heavy. Not compact - who cares!! :ford:

Oh - and of course it would be awesome if GM copied Ford and made a FPC engine. Very, very cool stuff. History of the Camaro... always a couple years behind the Mustang.
very well said.i just dont believe 700 n/a power crap about the CRAPMARO.they cant really sell the SCRPMAROS now that are on the lots.:lol:
:cheers::ford:

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yeah, when I see a 700 hp NA camaro I'll be truly surprised. Right now I don't even see where a z28 would fit performance wise. I could see a 600 HP NA gutted z28 where it could POSSIBLY beat the zl1le but I'm a a skeptic.

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
Yeah, when I see a 700 hp NA camaro I'll be truly surprised. Right now I don't even see where a z28 would fit performance wise. I could see a 600 HP NA gutted z28 where it could POSSIBLY beat the zl1le but I'm a a skeptic.
what motor do you think they would use for that?i think if they had an n/a motor with 600hp it would have been in the z06.

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Keep in mind there's a huge amount of speculation in that article. And some of it isn't possible -- like they say the Z/28 might have a 750HP version of the supercharged motor in the ZR1. But the Chevy chief engineer has said that they'll only use the Z/28 name on normally aspirated cars.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
... and then there are those who said Ford will drop the FPC engine for a CPC engine.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
... and then there are those who said Ford will drop the FPC engine for a CPC engine.
Curious, where do you see the FPC is going on past '18? I've seen where it was said that the 5.2 is a good engine and they won't abandon it but didn't see anyone say it was for sure a FPC. I could see a turbocharged 5.2 but I'm willing to bet that ain't happening.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
The 5.2 liter FPC is still in its infancy. Why abandon it ?
Because the CPC 5.2 makes more power and has less harmonics. The CPC crate engine produces 570+HP and more torque than the FPC, though Im sure with better breathing the FPC could match those numbers. I think they use the CPC in the GT4. Fellas that supercharge their FPC can't put much PSI thru it or it will croak. Turbo is more logical because it doesn't load up the crank. If FPC DOES go forward I'd expect a turbo charged unit, not supercharged and I'm betting its a supercharged 5.2. Maybe they keep the 5.2 FPC in a boss/track type car and up the HP some.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
As has been stated by Ford, Voodoo will only ever be seen in the GT350. And for Voodoo, read FPC.

For me, the FPC was Ford proving to themselves, and others, that it could be done. That Ford was willing to take the route less travelled. They gave themselves a challenge, and they met it. I'm sure it gave them many headaches that would have been avoided if they'd gone the "obvious" route and used a CPC.

Whilst I applaud Ford for doing it, I'd expect them to make it slightly easier on themselves with the next generation of 5.2 and utilise the CPC. And, because they won't be putting it in a GT350, it'll be easier for Ford to justify the lack of a FPC. GT350 was all about being a superb track car with an engine that would rev forever. Whether the 5.2 CPC is put in a Mach 1 in normally aspirated form, or forms the basis of a halo-Stang with forced induction, remains to be seen. But if they do, then either of those cars are likely to be less rev-happy and perhaps more torque orientated.

Just my 2p :)

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
As has been stated by Ford, Voodoo will only ever be seen in the GT350. And for Voodoo, read FPC.

For me, the FPC was Ford proving to themselves, and others, that it could be done. That Ford was willing to take the route less travelled. They gave themselves a challenge, and they met it. I'm sure it gave them many headaches that would have been avoided if they'd gone the "obvious" route and used a CPC.

Whilst I applaud Ford for doing it, I'd expect them to make it slightly easier on themselves with the next generation of 5.2 and utilise the CPC. And, because they won't be putting it in a GT350, it'll be easier for Ford to justify the lack of a FPC. GT350 was all about being a superb track car with an engine that would rev forever. Whether the 5.2 CPC is put in a Mach 1 in normally aspirated form, or forms the basis of a halo-Stang with forced induction, remains to be seen. But if they do, then either of those cars are likely to be less rev-happy and perhaps more torque orientated.

Just my 2p :)
I took what Hi-Po stang said as it pertains to the article talking about the new GM engines:

We’re expecting this new engine family to combine aluminum block and head construction, dual overhead camshafts, four-valve combustion chambers, direct (possibly in combination with port) fuel injection, titanium connecting rods, and a flat crankshaft, with approximately 5.5 liters of displacement to produce the target power. Need we remind you that most of those specs also fit a bored-and-stroked Ferrari 458 Italia V-8? Peel your ears to hear Pavarotti serenading from heaven. The twin-turbo LT7 version will trade some of the exhaust aria for additional power, à la Ferrari 488GTB.

GM is adding a flat crank, maybe ford will keep this one around
Sponsored

Last edited: