Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I never really understand why people would compare a factory stock car to a modified one. But even then I can't think of many rwd cars that are lightly modified that would win in a 1/4 mile let alone a 1/2 . Yes, they could win a rollrace, but that usually comes down to who has the better power to weight. I think if they do a halo Stang it'll produce at least 740+ hp and man if it had AWD and they could keep the weight around 4,000 lbs or less that would be a bad ass car. Closes comparison I can think of is a GT-R which does 0-60 in 2.9 and a 1/4 in 10.9-11.1 and that's with a mere 545hp and 465tq, and its maybe 100 lbs less. And it's still a very good track car.
I agree with this 100%. For a high powered street machine that gets driven a lot and not just trailered to the local 1/4 mile strip on the weekends, AWD would be great for hooking up high power. For a while the top powered vehicles have been able to spin their tires at 50 or even 60+ mph. At that point the power isn't very useful.

Not only that but with AWD your gonna be very consistent. With 750 HP AWD... mid 10's all day long. Neck snapping 0-60's. Would be a quick machine, especially with a bit of mods
:thumbsup:
Sponsored

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Now where talking legal speed limit it's on the street? And specific temps?

AWD is extra weight, yeah it will get you off the line faster and maybe from a 50mph street roll but beyond that it's doing you no favors. Hell a supercharged 350 would likely walk it pretty good from a roll.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06

AWD is extra weight, yeah it will get you off the line faster and maybe from a 50mph street roll but beyond that it's doing you no favors. Hell a supercharged 350 would likely walk it pretty good from a roll.
Unfortunately temps matter in 700+ hp RWD cars. AWD would solve that issue, it does add weight, figure 100-140 lbs. Once again don't see the point in comparing a very modified 350 to what would be a factory stock car, and its a roll race, how often do people drive around racing from 50-150? And can you not mod this hypothetical car?? So you can mod a 350 but not the other car!! I'm pretty sure with a quick tune and upped boost it would walk the SC 350, just saying. I know people do it, but I'd way rather have something that puts the power down and can be used nearly 24/7 then having to be at 50-60 mph and try to find a place and time that I can run that safely.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Well, 99% of the time I drive on the street, so why would I want something that would theoretically work but in actuality doesn't? There are no 1/4 mile tracks near me and I've never even been to a 1/4 mile track. So for me and truth be told for most people, 0-30 or 0-60 is a real world measurement. On the street I'm either stopped at a light, accelerating or at the speed limit. So when/where is your theoretical roll from 50 mph going to happen? I'm not going to drive 50 mph in a 30 zone. And I'm not going to drive 50 mph on the freeway - I will be obstructing traffic. And street racing is illegal. Here they can take your car away if you do it.

So yes, I think acceleration, especially from a stop on the street is a good measurement. And most of the time it's less than 70 degrees here. Why would I want a car that will get slapped down by a stock 4WD pickup most days of the year?

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 SG FoRS, Forged, Moonroof
Maybe on a hot day (like 70 F or higher) there are a very few 2WD cars that might edge out a 4,000 lb 700HP AWD car. Or on a prepped track yes 2WD can also win then you are talking completely different and there are a lot of 1/4 mile vehicles that are quick. 2WD will do better on a prepped track and into triple digit speeds.

0-30 or 0-60 - completely legal hitting it off the line on the street in cool weather there are very few nearly zero 2WD vehicles that will "smoke" an AWD anything - 700 hp or not. Only exception is mid or rear engine exotics. Even a 400 HP AWD vehicle will win in most typical stoplight situations versus a front engine rear drive typical 2WD vehicle. If it doesn't win it will be super close. It's much more likely the 2WD vehicle loses traction and gets smoked.
My RS is rated at 350 crank and from stoplight to stoplight it rocks, anything after that I get chased down by higher HP and 2wd...Mods are planned!!! :headbang:

Sponsored

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, ProCharged
I hear you, but yeah, this is about what the company makes, not what mods you can do to the car you buy from Ford.

Now imagine that 755hp AWD near 4,000 lb car modded... :cheers:

It would be pretty dang awesome.
What kind of dunce races a stock car? Seriously.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
One who doesn't want to throw away warranties?

If I were planning on racing, I wouldn't buy something brand new. Seems like a big waste of money to me. For my daily commuting vehicle I like to have warranty, though.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
So...it would appear that not only did you not have a point, but you conveniently missed the second part of my post referring to modding from a better starting point...

Try not to be so aggro. We are a pretty cool community here.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
So, should we just close this thread out since it won't be a gt500 but a cobra etc? Besides, we already threw so much info at it there are no more guesses to make. Won't be here for at least another 1.5 years and they will probably drop the REAL info in a year from now.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
How dare you suggest closing it. It's my thread :p

I might consider changing the title though......perhaps to "Rumor - The Halo-Stang Thread" ;)

Mind you, even as a Moderator, I can't change the sub-forum it sits in.......so until [MENTION=1]Jarstang[/MENTION] gets enough solid information that "halo-Stang" won't be called GT500.....the GT500 section will remain so named :D

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Has it been confirmed that that next halo-stang won't be labeled a GT500? I mean I'd be perfectly fine with it being called a cobra
Sponsored