Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

TOPdeadCENTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT500 SVTPP
Because it wouldn't be a Mustang anymore.
Like a 2.7L V6 in a truck wouldn't be an F150 anymore? How 'bout aluminum? A lot of naysayers have been proven wrong on these issues. Ford has demonstrated an ability to think outside the box and do something unexpected. Even with a model as sacred to the company as the F150 or mustang. Only time will tell.

mustangletback

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 droptop mustang
Here is my two cents on a possible 2018 GT500

Ecoboost V8 (stringent emission and CAFE standards would negate a supercharger and look more towards turbos)
Displacement: 5.0 or a reworked 4.6 4V DOHC with TI-VCT and Direct Injection
Horsepower: 675-700+
Transmissions: 6-7 speed manual with rev matching or 10 speed automatic dual clutch with rev matching
325 MM rear tires
Magnaride Suspension
Top Speed: 205+ MPH
MSRP: $60,000
i would say twin turbo 5.2 with over 800hp.:ford::cheers:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Because it wouldn't be a Mustang anymore.
I cannot agree.

That's like saying adding IRS took the "Mustang" out of Mustang. It didn't. Not in 2003 nor now.

So much more makes a Mustang "a Mustang."

Of course in the 60's the Mustang was rwd. It was a ubiquitous way of putting power to the pavement. Now, awd is somewhat commonplace, reliable, and not too expensive.

What it adds in traction would not be bemoaned by anyone looking to plant 800+ horsepower (pure speculation) to the ground consistently.

Both on the street and the strip, it would be a winning strategy.

However, ford is likely going for an exact price point. And if they are going to use a twin turbo v8, awd would makes perfect sense. But may be too expensive for the price point.

Even if some rumors are true of a GT500 using a twin turbo v6 (God forbid), awd would make even more sense as Ford would be in a position of not only showing a v6 with near FI V8 power numbers, but awd would allow it to outperform rwd in acceleration.

Now going back to a v8 ecoboost, you have power. You have the suspension to get Lang that power. But you'll still be overwhelming your two power-planting contact patches. Increase that to four and that problem is alleviated quite a bit.

The gt500 exists in a price range where this actually make sense.

And it's still "Mustang" in every way.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would love to see AWD in a Mustang.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Like a 2.7L V6 in a truck wouldn't be an F150 anymore? How 'bout aluminum?
The F150 has had a 6-cylinder from the beginning. No idea how you think that is relevant.

I cannot agree.

That's like saying adding IRS took the "Mustang" out of Mustang. It didn't. Not in 2003 nor now.

So much more makes a Mustang "a Mustang."

And it's still "Mustang" in every way.
When Ford tried to make the Mustang FWD, it became the probe. The RWD Mustang lived on. You don't need to convince me the advantages of AWD, it is Ford that decided the Mustang is a front engine RWD coupe/vert.

TOPdeadCENTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT500 SVTPP
The F150 has had a 6-cylinder from the beginning. No idea how you think that is relevant.

When Ford tried to make the Mustang FWD, it became the probe. The RWD Mustang lived on. You don't need to convince me the advantages of AWD, it is Ford that decided the Mustang is a front engine RWD coupe/vert.
2.7 liter is the relevant point I was attempting. I could have left "V6" out of it.

MrBillton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 LS, 2018 Charger Scat Pack
I feel there's no chance it has less hp than the Hellcat…too big of a marketing victory to ignore, and with the current platform they could do it, so they won't really have to stretch to do it with a TTV8, which is what I think they will do.

For product positioning and to keep the price reasonable I think it will have less special equipment and a higher weight than the GT350s so as not to outdo them around the race track. Think we see both of these cars for MY '17.

I agree with thePill that there will be a KR version of the car…maybe we see something like a 750hp GT500 and a 800hp GT500kr? I think the TTV6 (mach 1?) will be saved for a different Mustang trim and will be toned down from the HP numbers of the Ford GT.

The Ford GT is a road racing car, it will of course beat the GT500 in this arena (1000+ pounds is no joke), but I don't think Ford is in any way worried about having a higher HP number in the GT500 than the Ford GT.

on d bit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jk
I feel there's no chance it has less hp than the Hellcat…too big of a marketing victory to ignore, and with the current platform they could do it, so they won't really have to stretch to do it with a TTV8, which is what I think they will do.

For product positioning and to keep the price reasonable I think it will have less special equipment and a higher weight than the GT350s so as not to outdo them around the race track. Think we see both of these cars for MY '17.

I agree with thePill that there will be a KR version of the car…maybe we see something like a 750hp GT500 and a 800hp GT500kr? I think the TTV6 (mach 1?) will be saved for a different Mustang trim and will be toned down from the HP numbers of the Ford GT.

The Ford GT is a road racing car, it will of course beat the GT500 in this arena (1000+ pounds is no joke), but I don't think Ford is in any way worried about having a higher HP number in the GT500 than the Ford GT.
I completely disagree with you. We've hit the place of diminishing returns for 4000lb vehicles in the performance realm. Ford is proving that with the GT350. They are further proving that with the Ford GT. In fact most manufacturers are going to less cubes and TT not for increased power but for less weight which will lead to greater performance.
A 650hp TT motor in 3800lb s550 chassis would be a great vehicle and much better than the Hellcats today.

MrBillton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 LS, 2018 Charger Scat Pack
What are you disagreeing with? I'm confused.

Sounds like we are relatively on the same page…I don't disagree at all that 650hp would be much better than the Hellcat…but I think by them beating the Hellcat HP number of 707, they become the big boy in the Pony Wars, and it's way too easy for them to do with a TTV8 not to.

I completely disagree with you. We've hit the place of diminishing returns for 4000lb vehicles in the performance realm. Ford is proving that with the GT350. They are further proving that with the Ford GT. In fact most manufacturers are going to less cubes and TT not for increased power but for less weight which will lead to greater performance.
A 650hp TT motor in 3800lb s550 chassis would be a great vehicle and much better than the Hellcats today.

Sponsored

speedracermustangfan

Custom User Title
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 subaru wrx

I agree, the ford gt will be in a different universe even if it was down 150hp over the gt500. I can see them both running 10's stock, but when it comes to all out speed and handling, the gt will be well beyond the gt500.

TOPdeadCENTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT500 SVTPP
I think TT coyote makes a lot of sense. A TTV8 would sell like hotcakes in the SuperDuty F-series. I can see ford spreading the development costs on this engine to the truck line and modifying it to their Halo Mustang. There is a precedence for this as the previous GT500 had a modified "truck" 5.4L.

speedracermustangfan

Custom User Title
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 subaru wrx
I think TT coyote makes a lot of sense. A TTV8 would sell like hotcakes in the SuperDuty F-series. I can see ford spreading the development costs on this engine to the truck line and modifying it to their Halo Mustang. There is a precedence for this as the previous GT500 had a modified "truck" 5.4L.
Maybe a return of the lightning?

An f150 with a tt v8 and 700 hp+ make it do high 11s.
An f150 that could run with the big dogs lol.

on d bit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jk
I dont believe Ford sees a reason to have the most HP on the block, specifically since it will not make the Mustang anymore capable on the street or track.
4.0 TT from Audi down from v10
4.4 TT from BMW down from the v10
3.0 TT M3 down from 4.0
5.5 TT from MB down from the 6.2 and 6.0/6.5 TT
3.9 TT from Ferrari down from 4.5

Are some examples along with the Ford examples in my last post. Lighter and smaller motors with forced induction in order to gain performance rather than mass horsepower. Yes they could go more than 700, but do to that the mass and lack of balance in the chasis the performance would not increase. I think Ford found that point with the 13/14 GT500 and the HC just prove the point further.

In order to go farther with overall performance one needs to lose weight and improve balance without losing power. Which is what the manufacturer are creating going forward.
If Ford can create a low to mid 4L TT platform the same weight as the N/A 5L they would have something special!

TOPdeadCENTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT500 SVTPP
Maybe a return of the lightning?

An f150 with a tt v8 and 700 hp+ make it do high 11s.
An f150 that could run with the big dogs lol.
I agree. Spillover into the F150 line is also a possibility but I was thinking the SuperDuty line. I have heard a lot of complaints (just from friends who have owned them) about the 6.2L being a dog.
Sponsored