zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Zack when you get a chance to finish up the install and get some driving videos, I'm waiting! Sounds pretty darn good. I'd love an axle-back like the Corsa posted above, though.
I might actually be able to get them finished up tomorrow and get a video up by the weekend. Until then I finally got two of my pictures to upload...!
Sponsored

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
Did you have to do any cutting or do these mount so you can easily revert back to stock or swap to someone else's axle back later if you want ??

Are the pipes / mufflers Stainless ... at least low grade 409 like the factory uses ??

Just an FYI ... if pipes/mufflers are mild steel or aluminized steel, you will likely be replacing these every 30-50K miles due to dissimilar metal corrosion (been there / done that).

Almost forgot to add ... it does look and sound nice though !!

Doug

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Did you have to do any cutting or do these mount so you can easily revert back to stock or swap to someone else's axle back later if you want ??

Are the pipes / mufflers Stainless ... at least low grade 409 like the factory uses ??

Just an FYI ... if pipes/mufflers are mild steel or aluminized steel, you will likely be replacing these every 30-50K miles due to dissimilar metal corrosion (been there / done that).

Almost forgot to add ... it does look and sound nice though !!

Doug
Thanks for the comments! As for your questions!

1. Easily being able to revert back to stock was a major requirement for me so yes it is very easy. I had to separate the OEM mufflers from the center resonator piping so that did require cutting. Basically when/if I want to all I have to do is loosen the band clamps and replace my custom exhaust with the OEM mufflers. I have a picture below to so this. For aftermarket setup's I should be able to install them with no problem. It really depends on where they require the OEM piping to be cut.

2. Everything is 304 stainless steel except for the mufflers which are unfortunately aluminized steel. I guess thats all you can get for $40 a piece! I plan to watch them closely and if I see rust forming I will remove them and seal them with a high temp black paint to prevent future rust.

Picture of OEM mufflers installed.
IMG_0491.jpg

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
So there is no factory assembly point right before the mufflers like on an S197 ... did not know this. So I guessing it is one welded piece all the way up to the Catted H-Pipe ??

Your S.S. band clamp solution is basically what the factory does elsewhere, and might be what other aftermarket companies offer for an "axle-back".

Dissimilar metal experience:

On my 1998 V6 Mustang, I put stock '96 Cobra Duals on it using a Pacesetter "H-Pipe" conversion pipe kit. I went thru THREE of these conversion kits in 6 years as it kept rotting away at both ends where it mounted to the factory 409 S.S. cats pipes & cobra pipes. 1st kit was just mild steel, other two were aluminized steel and slightly heavier gauge, but this did not help any.

Bought a 2002 Chebby Cavilier for my kids and went thru a muffler support clamp ever 6-12 months. O.E. muffler (& everything from manifold to tip) was 409 S.S. and replacement clamp was mild steel. Finally complete O.E. system was shot and went with a fully aluminized steel system and that mild steel band clamp has been fine ever since !!

What is silly is the aftermarket only has aluminized replacement systems for this vintage Cavalier, however they do offer a premium "Lifetime Stainless Muffler", which is only going to make you replace the mid pipe & clamp ever year or so ... nice !!

Doug

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So there is no factory assembly point right before the mufflers like on an S197 ... did not know this. So I guessing it is one welded piece all the way up to the Catted H-Pipe ??

Your S.S. band clamp solution is basically what the factory does elsewhere, and might be what other aftermarket companies offer for an "axle-back".

Dissimilar metal experience:

On my 1998 V6 Mustang, I put stock '96 Cobra Duals on it using a Pacesetter "H-Pipe" conversion pipe kit. I went thru THREE of these conversion kits in 6 years as it kept rotting away at both ends where it mounted to the factory 409 S.S. cats pipes & cobra pipes. 1st kit was just mild steel, other two were aluminized steel and slightly heavier gauge, but this did not help any.

Bought a 2002 Chebby Cavilier for my kids and went thru a muffler support clamp ever 6-12 months. O.E. muffler (& everything from manifold to tip) was 409 S.S. and replacement clamp was mild steel. Finally complete O.E. system was shot and went with a fully aluminized steel system and that mild steel band clamp has been fine ever since !!

What is silly is the aftermarket only has aluminized replacement systems for this vintage Cavalier, however they do offer a premium "Lifetime Stainless Muffler", which is only going to make you replace the mid pipe & clamp ever year or so ... nice !!

Doug

Yea I was rather disappointed when I learned that the mufflers were welded to the rest of the system. It is good to eliminate areas that rattles could potentially form and for manufacturing but it is not good for us! I am assuming that in Northern Wisconsin you have a lot of salt treated roads in the winter months? Hopefully the climate down here in Maryland allows my system to fare a bit better then what you saw with you systems!

Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
It's finished!

Quick driving report: There is drone.... A sizable amount at 2k 70-75mph. Disappointed with that but it sounds great from the outside. I'm thinking a center resonator delete might be a way to cure the drone without going with a more restrictive muffler. I'll post a few more pictures once I get home from class.

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I am assuming that in Northern Wisconsin you have a lot of salt treated roads in the winter months? Hopefully the climate down here in Maryland allows my system to fare a bit better then what you saw with you systems!
Winter driving / salt covered roads adds to the deterioration, but the aluminized or mild steel not touching the 409 SS corrodes at a normal and acceptable rate.

As far as the corrosion at the steel/409 SS joint, I think the steel will disintegrate just as fast no matter where you live as it is just a reaction of these two dissimilar metals touching each other.

Doug

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Well I think I might have added some power to my 6 :D:D

6.0 is with OEM mufflers. 5.5 is with my custom exhaust. Around the same conditions for both runs.
IMG_0548.jpg

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Updated OP with new pictures.

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Well I think I might have added some power to my 6 :D:D

6.0 is with OEM mufflers. 5.5 is with my custom exhaust. Around the same conditions for both runs.
From 6.0 to 5.5, this is amazing! I am stumped, have to admit.

Sponsored
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
From 6.0 to 5.5, this is amazing! I am stumped, have to admit.
As am I! Just imagine what removing the center resonator could do!

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nowhere near enough weight loss to get 0.5 seconds. Nice gains!

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Exactly. At max I cut 15-20lbs with my new exhaust. What's even more crazy is that before when I did my 0-60 on OEM mufflers it would chirp the tires on launch with traction control off. Now, tonight when I did my updated run this car fully excitued a burnout with some sideways action before straightening out and chirping into second gear. It is absolutely crazy the apparent gain in power from just a muffler change.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. At max I cut 15-20lbs with my new exhaust. What's even more crazy is that before when I did my 0-60 on OEM mufflers it would chirp the tires on launch with traction control off. Now, tonight when I did my updated run this car fully excitued a burnout with some sideways action before straightening out and chirping into second gear. It is absolutely crazy the apparent gain in power from just a muffler change.
I doubt you saved more than 10 lbs, to be honest. That's all power. Makes me wonder what the delta would be during a 0-100 run...
Sponsored