Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Your argument (assuming you own a GT350TP) is that your purchase is much better than an R because you can make your car faster than an R for less money. My argument is thats a pointless argument when you can take a lower model mustang to be even faster for less money.

Overall it's a pointless argument. You can always make a less expensive car faster for less money than a special edition car, but it will never be that special edition. If performance per dollar is what you're looking for, mod a cheaper car. If you want all of the thought and engineering already done for you and you want a special edition car, pony up the $.

I hate it when people have to put down others to justify their purchase. Everyone is looking for something different and have different needs. Can't we all appreciate that they're all great cars?
Look the op asked what the gap would be it they both had the same tires and wheels. And my only point was with tires and wheels and very few minor parts the lesser of the two cars "can" out preform the R. I did not put anyone down in any way. Like 96cobra said the R is special and I'm not knocking it at all. I wanted one and at the time when I ordered my track pack in 2015 no R's were available anywhere that I could find and if you did find one they were well into the high 90k range. I was lucky to even find a allocation for a GT350 period. I am not putting anyone down and I do not know where you sense that I am, nor am I knocking the R.
But don't brag that you found a R at MSRP because not many people can find one at MSRP.
Everyone knows a cheaper car can be built to go faster. But the op specifically asked about the GT350 and GT350R.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
And there it is - an inferiority complex and the need for purchase confirmation where it's not required and the reason for most of these r vs non-r threads. Sad.

Do you ever see a thread started by an R owner, trying to fluff up the R and talking down to non-r owners? Cmon.
You're out of hand.
Nobody is putting down a R. But you did act like just because you purchased your car at MSRP that it's available at MSRP to nearly everyone and the truth is it's not. In 2015 and 2016 you couldn't even get a non R at MSRP. And in my area you still can't get a non R for less then 5k over MSRP.
I paid 5k over MSRP for my 2016 track pack in June of 2015 and I was happy with that.

The op asked if they both had the same tires and wheels how different would the gap be with same track same day same driver. The truth is the gap would be closer than you think and the truth is "some" R owners can't swallow that.
Like I said I'd love to have a R. But no way am I paying 90k + for a mustang.
Some of you are taking my point way out of hand. If I really wanted a "Track only" car I would of ordered a base GT350 and do what I already have done and added the track pack / R trans and diff and added dssv dampers and gutted the car completely. Or just buy a FR350S or body in white and build my own.
But for a road legal / weekend track racer I'd rather use a track pack or 2017/2018 base GT350 and build it my way and have fun because that's what it's all about. I also don't have to worry about destroying a 1 of 1500/2000 gt350r cars like a few others have. I know a local guy to me that's totaled a 2015 base R at the track that is in the process of salvaging the good parts from the totaled 15 R to a body in white chassis that's been modified by watson.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Redline8250, your posts are really coming off with an inferiority complex. Post #2 pretty much answered his question as well as the following posts. You started down the path of XYZ mods will make your GT350TP faster than an R, which wasn't his question. With equal wheels and tires, the TP will be slower than an R due to the differences: weight and aero. I agree with OPs original estimate of ~2 seconds.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
Redline8250, your posts are really coming off with an inferiority complex. Post #2 pretty much answered his question as well as the following posts. You started down the path of XYZ mods will make your GT350TP faster than an R, which wasn't his question. With equal wheels and tires, the TP will be slower than an R due to the differences: weight and aero. I agree with OPs original estimate of ~2 seconds.
You win.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
And there it is - an inferiority complex and the need for purchase confirmation where it's not required and the reason for most of these r vs non-r threads. Sad.

Do you ever see a thread started by an R owner, trying to fluff up the R and talking down to non-r owners? Cmon.
Pure sarcasm. :D

I can guarantee you, there is no inferior complex with me driving my GT350. I could have bought an R and still might.

But let's face it, the GT350 is pretty damn good and shares a very high percentage overall of the same parts (engine, chassis, etc.) that the R has. Discounting the GT350 so much IS being a little ridiculous.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Pure sarcasm. :D

I can guarantee you, there is no inferior complex with me driving my GT350. I could have bought an R and still might.

But let's face it, the GT350 is pretty damn good and shares a very high percentage overall of the same parts (engine, chassis, etc.) that the R has. Discounting the GT350 so much IS being a little ridiculous.

Brother - I didn't discount the non-r 350, at all. Sorry I didn't catch the sarcasm. If I didn't luck out with a great deal on an R, I would have bought one and loved it just fine. In some ways, maybe enjoyed it a little more. I was just stating how these threads usually sound and who usually starts them. I know the difference in the R and I don't think anyone would disagree (well, very few) that they would have bought an R if it was available at MSRP; for the additional money, you cant modify a non-r to meet the specs..again, if the car didn't have a huge ADM. When ADMs come into the picture, it comes down to the value for the individual buyer.

To the OPs point - I think wheels and tires probably make for at least 50% of the difference between the two. Still, a couple of seconds is quite a bit.

Regardless - the cars can be enjoyed just fine on the track and unless you're in actual competition, 1-2-3-4 seconds a lap aren't going to make much difference to you except some bragging rights.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
So if you guys all want a good laugh you should head over to a/the corvette forum and read some Grand Sport vs Z06 threads. Pure entertainment. It'll give everyone a nice break then we can continue with our regularly scheduled programming :)

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
For 2016, the R MSRP was $7K to $10K more than a Track Pack, depending on if the R had the Electronics/AC added back in. With that type of budget, I think it might be possible to build a Track Pack into a faster car than the R on the track, both driven by a professional driver. Of course, any ADM would just add to the budget, as would any go fast parts that were added to the R.

If I were going to build a dedicated track car, with a gutted interior, etc., I would start out with a Track Pack.

I'm one of those (the few) that would not have bought an R over my Track Pack at MSRP. That would have been $10K more (with AC) and no back seat to cart my little one around in.

Now, if I came by an R today at MSRP, I might consider adding it to the collection. But it would have to look like [MENTION=30189]That"R"girl[/MENTION] car - That is sweet!
Rfqtr_1.jpg
Rrear.jpg

Last edited:

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
For 2016, the R MSRP was $7K to $10K more than a Track Pack, depending on if the R had the Electronics/AC added back in. With that type of budget, I think it might be possible to build a Track Pack into a faster car than the R on the track, in the hands of a professional driver. Of course, any ADM would just add to the budget.

If I were going to build a dedicated track car, with a gutted interior, etc., I would start out with a Track Pack.

I'm one of those (the few) that would not have bought an R over my Track Pack at MSRP. That would have been $10K more (with AC) and no back seat to cart my little one around in.

Now, if I came by an R today at MSRP, I might consider adding it to the collection. But it would have to look like That"R"girl car - That is sweet!
Exactly!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
For 2016, the R MSRP was $7K to $10K more than a Track Pack, depending on if the R had the Electronics/AC added back in. With that type of budget, I think it might be possible to build a Track Pack into a faster car than the R on the track, in the hands of a professional driver. Of course, any ADM would just add to the budget.
I'm sure that in the hands of a professional driver, the non-r would be faster than the R without any mods at all - not sure what you're getting at?

Me too, but I'm not building a dedicated race car and I don't think anyone else in this conversation is, either.

PS - Scott - point us to that Forgeline wheel/tire combo for $6k, thanks.

Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
What I was getting at is both cars being driven by a Pro, who is able to extract every bit out of both. I can see adding $7-$10K in go fast bits making a Track Pack faster under these conditions, that's all.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
What I was getting at is both cars being driven by a Pro, who is able to extract every bit out of both. I can see adding $7-$10K in go fast bits making a Track Pack faster under these conditions, that's all.
I dont think youd need 7K. You could literally put ever R part except the wheels on the car for far less then that.

A GTPP was eating my lunch on the track with just slicks. He was also probably a better driver though

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Have you guys even tried math? A good set of wheels and tires are going to be $8kish. that's the difference right there and you haven't even matched it yet.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350