Question from someone new to detailing

Polax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
16' DIP blue GT premium pp
Alright guys so I got my 2016 dib blue GT used about 2 weeks ago and the car is in great shape but the paint has a few lite scratches and swirl marks from what it looks to be like someone maybe washing and drying the car in maybe the wrong way. Non of the scratches are deep just look to be on the surface. My question is I don't have a lot experience in detailing I mostly foam canon wipe down then dry. But this car looks so good I want to clay it, polish it, wax it,and seal it. Just not sure which order you do what. Obviously clay first but then what steps next? And any good products you can recommend would be great. Thanks
Sponsored

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
From Autogeek.net They also have a huge detailing forum, also autopia-carcare.com

flowchart.jpg

NasaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium CO A6
Wash it > clay > compound/polish > IPA/cleaner wipe down > sealant > then if you want wax.

If its just light swirls/scratches you can probably just use a polish like Megs M205 or HD Polish. If you need a heavier cut get some M105 or HD Cut or equivalent. A couple Orange lake country pads should do the job for polishing.

Some good sealants are Wolfgang deep gloss sealant 3.0, Ammo Skin, Collinite 845 (not technically a sealant but great stuff), Powerlock and plenty of others.

Get some good drying towels and a good drying aide (Detail spray/spray wax etc) for maintenance washes.

http://www.autogeek.net/ has alot of good stuff and info.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Wash it > clay > compound/polish > IPA/cleaner wipe down > sealant > then if you want wax.

If its just light swirls/scratches you can probably just use a polish like Megs M205 or HD Polish. If you need a heavier cut get some M105 or HD Cut or equivalent. A couple Orange lake country pads should do the job for polishing.

Some good sealants are Wolfgang deep gloss sealant 3.0, Ammo Skin, Collinite 845 (not technically a sealant but great stuff), Powerlock and plenty of others.

Get some good drying towels and a good drying aide (Detail spray/spray wax etc) for maintenance washes.

http://www.autogeek.net/ has alot of good stuff and info.
I've always used white pads for polish, do orange work better?

NasaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium CO A6
Orange pad will give you more cut for removing defects with just a polish and you can just skip the compounding part (if the defects are not real bad i.e. just removing light swirls and scratches). It will still finish down like a polish with an Orange pad. You always want to start with the least aggressive method and work up as needed though.

Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Orange pad will give you more cut for removing defects with just a polish and you can just skip the compounding part (if the defects are not real bad i.e. just removing light swirls and scratches). It will still finish down like a polish with an Orange pad. You always want to start with the least aggressive method and work up as needed though.
OK, good to know, it will save me some time. I've always thought I had to use a white pad with polish to finish the job.

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
Always use the least aggressive approach, you have only so much clear coat.

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
I went with all Chemical Guys' products. I did mine this weekend. Check out my end product per stage. I didn't show the process, but you can see the end product per phase.

[ame]
Sponsored