Sponsored

'15 Mustang GT with PP & Recaros vs. '09 Porsche 997 Carrera?

bpang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WRX, '11 Forester and '15 Forester
So yeah, I am most likely getting the GT with PP & Recaros...but since we have to sit here waiting for tid-bits of news and I am not putting in an order until I read Motor Trend and Matt Farah's reviews, it got me thinking: "what else could I get for $40k?"

The only thing appealing to me right now is the Porsche 997. Granted it will be 8 years older but I have always wanted a 911 and from many reports they seem to be reliable(ish). As such, I have created pros and cons for both.

'15 Mustang GT with PP and Recaros

Pros:
1. Roughly 100 more HP than a 997 (non turbo)
2. Modern interior technology (Sync and MyFordTouch)
3. "Faster than a Boss 302 around a track"...not sure how that compares to a 997.

Cons:
1. Stuck with the factory head unit (I am an audio enthusiast)
2. It won't hold it's value very well because let's face it, they will sell a ton of these.
3. Ford reliability...I have owned several Fords over the years, my most recent a new 2001 Focus that had to be taken in to the dealer 3 times for a broken ignition switch (the key literally would not turn and the switch replaced THREE TIMES and every one of those times I was stuck in the boonies).

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera

Pros:
1. Handling (I expect it to hang with the Mustang on the track unless it is one with huge straights)
2. I can change the headunit to whatever I want...making upgrading the whole system easier.
3. It's a Porsche...my dream car.
4. PDK!!!

Cons:
1. 6 year old interior technology.
2. 6 year old car...will either need service or replacement of worn items (unless the prior owners have done it).
3. 6 year old interior...no the new Mustang's interior will certainly never be mistaken for an Audi, but it is still more up to date than the 997's.

So what do you all think? If it was your money? Either will be my daily...but if I get a Carrera 4 it can double in winter...if I get the Mustang, I have a Subaru I can use.

:thumbsup: :shocked: :headbonk:
Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
I would say stick with your gut instinct. I am trading in my audi TT for the mustang because it is updated, insurance is about the same, my audi is a 2001 so it has both a CD AND cassette player, it's high mileage as well with some maintenance that might coast more than the overall value of it BUT it still works for the most part and pass inspection.
NEVER been a fan of anything used period. You never know how the last person took care of their car, I would seriously get the vin# & do a background of the car like carfax, some others have them for free but that is usually when they have been a salvage title wick me and a friend found and every car on that lot were salvage titles which they denied. Watch it closely but also keep in mind insurance... it is a sports car and not a sports Coupe so that also may be higher as well... but after all that and you are still stuck on it, do what really pleases you the most.. I should also add though, if there was maintenance needed on the 911, its not very cheap either so a warranty has a huge advantage and also Ford had come a long ways since 2001. Quality and reliability has had a huge milestone since 2006, I currently drive a 2006 F150 FX4 and never had issues with it related to non maintenance .. it's been one of my most reliable vehicles other than my Audi tt and 1995 ford probe.... all bought new

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Threads
Reaction score
The Porsche will prove to be much more expensive over the years. Even if you are lucky and have a bunch of problem-free years, even regular maintenance is more expensive. You can see this thread for some potential issues: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...t-time-buyer-exepected-maintenance-costs.html

One thing that may be better on the Porsche is depreciation. At this point, depreciation may have stabilized, whereas the Mustang is just starting to go down.

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
If you're stuck in NY, it's probably better to go with a 997 Carerra 4S :-).

Mustangchief

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kona Blue GT
Test Drive both, sit in each for 45 minutes static (cramp test) Play with the gadgetry, then drive them each one more time. You won't have to ask anyone's opinion, you'll know what is right for you.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bpang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WRX, '11 Forester and '15 Forester
Thanks all.

I really wish we didn't have such a long time between now and when they finally arrive on dealer lots. I know I won't be one of the first to either get an order in on a new Mustang or buy one of the first on the lot, that ship has sailed.

So it gives me some flexibility in my ability to pick and choose what I truly want.

I have never owned a new car...that Focus I mentioned was actually used for a couple months before I got it (but I considered it "new"). So the idea of getting the Mustang is appealing in that regard. I just don't know if it will appeal to me as much as a 911. I never even considered that I would be able to afford a decently used 911 but personal circumstances have changed drastically and I find myself in far better financial position than ever before.

I guess what I mean is that I don't consider a used car scary or a hardship. However, it would be REALLY COOL to finally know what it's like to have a new-new car.

Selo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Shelby GT500
If you favor hp, no contest, gotta go with the mustang. If you like handling, go with the Porsche. There's no comparison of the way they handle and feel, no matter what the time around the track might say. Also, while the Porsche might not be as fast in a straight line, if youll be in a position to build up some revs and wring it out, especially with heel toe shifting, the Porsche will really sing for you.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Used Porsche = Money Pit

Just get a 2015 and a JBL MS-8 to fix the audio.

TWilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium
So yeah, I am most likely getting the GT with PP & Recaros...but since we have to sit here waiting for tid-bits of news and I am not putting in an order until I read Motor Trend and Matt Farah's reviews, it got me thinking: "what else could I get for $40k?"

The only thing appealing to me right now is the Porsche 997. Granted it will be 8 years older but I have always wanted a 911 and from many reports they seem to be reliable(ish). As such, I have created pros and cons for both.

'15 Mustang GT with PP and Recaros

Pros:
1. Roughly 100 more HP than a 997 (non turbo)
2. Modern interior technology (Sync and MyFordTouch)
3. "Faster than a Boss 302 around a track"...not sure how that compares to a 997.

Cons:
1. Stuck with the factory head unit (I am an audio enthusiast)
2. It won't hold it's value very well because let's face it, they will sell a ton of these.
3. Ford reliability...I have owned several Fords over the years, my most recent a new 2001 Focus that had to be taken in to the dealer 3 times for a broken ignition switch (the key literally would not turn and the switch replaced THREE TIMES and every one of those times I was stuck in the boonies).

Porsche 997 Carrera

Pros:
1. Handling (I expect it to hang with the Mustang on the track unless it is one with huge straights)
2. I can change the headunit to whatever I want...making upgrading the whole system easier.
3. It's a Porsche...my dream car.

Cons:
1. 8 year old interior technology.
2. 8 year old car...will either need service or replacement of worn items (unless the prior owners have done it).
3. 8 year old interior...no the new Mustang's interior will certainly never be mistaken for an Audi, but it is still more up to date than the 997's.

So what do you all think? If it was your money? Either will be my daily...but if I get a Carrera 4 it can double in winter...if I get the Mustang, I have a Subaru I can use.

:thumbsup: :shocked: :headbonk:

At least with the the Mustang Con #3 (broken key) you won't have to worry about that. Only worry will be whether there is any tendency of the push-button to fail. :headbonk:

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Just get a 2015 and a JBL MS-8 to fix the audio.
How hard are these to install? Do you recommend a reputable audio shop do it?

Sponsored

StangBANG

Patience; long suffering.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
15 Magnetic GT. Performance Pack Premium Redline
I have a Porsche now and have to agree ..while beautiful and refined they are indeed a money pit..get the mustang and have fun, drive it hard and know there will be every part on the world down to the hanger hooks to replace to your liking. . I cant wait to get out of my Porsche and back in a stang! dont even waste another moment thinking about it. 2015 stang all the way!

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
I would love a Porsche (I don't even come close to be able to afford one, lol), but on the other hand, while I think used cars in good condition are generally a better deal (someone else takes the big depreciation hit), 8 years old is quite old, and I don't think I could settle for 8 year old technology, no matter what brand it is.

I would go with the new Mustang. 40K is a lot for something 8 years old and likely to start to need significant maintenance.

Selo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Shelby GT500
I would love a Porsche (I don't even come close to be able to afford one, lol), but on the other hand, while I think used cars in good condition are generally a better deal (someone else takes the big depreciation hit), 8 years old is quite old, and I don't think I could settle for 8 year old technology, no matter what brand it is.

I would go with the new Mustang. 40K is a lot for something 8 years old and likely to start to need significant maintenance.
Agreed. If it is going to b used as a daily driver, better to have newer tech and a warranty.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I've never owned a Porsche, but I can tell you I bought my current Mustang after having given up on my old Mercedes S Class... which was costing me over $1,000 a month in repairs. I swore I'd never go through that nonsense again.

Selo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Shelby GT500
There's a reason you can buy those types of cars for a song, even with low miles in perfect condition. But you've gotta have lots of cash on hand to afford to keep them.
Sponsored