Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

raidn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Perf Pack + 1968 302 Coupe
Called it! :D

No pictures or mentions of a Bullitt package in there was there? I'm sure if it exists it'll come later and not be included in the order guides until it's revealed.
How about a new Boss package? There have been hints at both, and I'm really hoping for a new Boss.
Sponsored

jmarsch1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium
Called it! :D

No pictures or mentions of a Bullitt package in there was there? I'm sure if it exists it'll come later and not be included in the order guides until it's revealed.
No pictures or mentions of anything special (yet). Our Ford rep is here in the building now so I'll ask her if she has an ETA on any dates or information.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
2014 GT rev limit 6800 power 420
2015 GT rev limit 7000 power 435
Rev. limiter might have been raise but the peak power was still at 6,500 rpm.

F150
2014 "old coyote"
360HP @ 5,500 rpm
380 lb-ft

2015 "refreshed coyote"
385HP @ 5,750 rpm
387 lb-ft

2018 dual injection
395 hp @ 5,750 rpm
400 lb-ft

Increase of 30hp and 20 lb-ft with only 250 rpm increase

Mustang
420hp @ 6500 rpm
390 lb-ft

435hp @ 6,500 rpm
400 lb-ft

Increase of 15hp and 10lb-ft.

Assuming you need to at least match the 30hp/20lb increase, that leaves 15hp & 10 lbs on the table.

So that's 450hp/410lb

However, Mustang is getting a 500 rpm increase in redline and peak power should be 7,000 rpm, which should be at least 10 more hp. Probably no more torque.

So 460 hp /410 lbs, this will beat Camaro's 455 hp by a little for pure marketing purposes. Then the 10 speed auto will help add some performance. Add in a few bits of weight savings and suspension learned from GT350, like the composite radiator support to save a few lbs and magneride shocks, and the car will beat or meet Camaro's performance #'s. And then Mustang already kills it in visibility, styling, sales, etc. So Ford will have done enough to sell them like hotcakes until S650.

2014 GT @ 420hp - 2014 F150 @ 360hp = 60hp difference (and 10 lb different)
2018 F150 @ 395hp + 60hp difference = 2018 GT @ 455hp (and 410 lbs torque)

Either way you look at it, everything is absolutely min. 455hp, and very likely there. But for marketing purposes it really has to beat Camaro's hp # since its been out longer.

jmarsch1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium
Hey guys, just got finished talking to the rep.

According to her, Order guides should be available for almost all of the 18 model year. (I just checked, no Mustang yet) If they're not up now, give them 2 more weeks. We'll hear about the Mustang stuff though because she said "It'll be a big announcement from Ford." It sucks that I don't find out before all of you do. You would think working at a dealership we would have some sort of inside scoop... That is not the case.:shrug:

She did tell me that the order guide companion stuff is not okay to share yet, please wait for Ford's announcement.

However, she told me that the timeline for the '18s is for an October 1st startup with first production units being delivered to dealers by mid-end of December depending on the OKTB date. Might make for some good Christmas presents!!

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
I'd say they will probably announce the HP rating after they finish taking orders for the 17 model year. If they haven't already and are just letting things settle.

Sponsored

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
2014 GT rev limit 6800 power 420
2015 GT rev limit 7000 power 435

So just a simple calculation based on rpm for the 2018 (assuming 7500 rpm most likely) gives 469 bhp. Never mind the increased compression and displacement.

Gonna need those fancy new Michelins.
This math only works if the hp is determined by the rev limit in its entirety. I used a bit of ratios and historical shifts to determine this. Not taking into account compression/displacement changes.

It produced a 1.23% margin for error using a ratio created by historical change. This placed the 2018 Mustang GT numbers at HP: 450 TQ: 410 It would be at minimum an increase to these numbers with no compression change but given there was it comes down to how this affects the numbers along with the higher rev limit.
Capture.JPG

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I tried to make this argument earlier with simple math:
+500rpm = +7%. IF the HP curve does not "sag" at the top (and its slope certainly does), then that predicts 465HP.

IF the torque was flat (constant, or level) at the top (its slope is slightly negative, corresponding to a little HP sag), then that would support the linearity argument.
But say the torque remains the same as or slightly more than 2017. Then since HP is linearly proportional to torque, we can still use the +7% increase to get to 465.

However, as has been said, Ford may spec it a little less for a) MPG, and/or b) wiggle room for 2019. IOW, no actual parts changes needed to wring out a few more HP over 2018.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Hey guys, just got finished talking to the rep.

According to her, Order guides should be available for almost all of the 18 model year. (I just checked, no Mustang yet) If they're not up now, give them 2 more weeks. We'll hear about the Mustang stuff though because she said "It'll be a big announcement from Ford." It sucks that I don't find out before all of you do. You would think working at a dealership we would have some sort of inside scoop... That is not the case.:shrug:

She did tell me that the order guide companion stuff is not okay to share yet, please wait for Ford's announcement.

However, she told me that the timeline for the '18s is for an October 1st startup with first production units being delivered to dealers by mid-end of December depending on the OKTB date. Might make for some good Christmas presents!!
Mid-end of December after building starts October 1st? Even the all-new 2015s were in dealers by late October. Something isn't adding up here. Something must be iffy or running behind schedule. Maybe quality control concerns? That's the only reason I can think to hold cars at the factory for 3+ months.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I'd say they will probably announce the HP rating after they finish taking orders for the 17 model year. If they haven't already and are just letting things settle.
Bingo. They don't want to cannibalize their own 2017 product line.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Bingo. They don't want to cannibalize their own 2017 product line.
I think they already have cannibalized whatever sales might have be succeptible to that. I think more people care about the looks than they do about 15-25 more hp that they can already easily pick up in the aftermarket. Ford is cannibalizing Mustang sales by having a 3 year old design on lots all summer and waiting till the middle of the winter to launch their updated sports car. The whole thing makes no sense to me. :headbonk:

Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Because they would not tell you they had issues getting it into production or without risk of getting their bottom line ruined. Who knows - except the board did "fire" their CEO just recently even after the guy turned Ford profitable.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Turbocharge your burnout with the 2018 Ford Mustang EcoBoost's line-lock

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/29/2018-ford-mustang-ecoboost-line-lock-burnout-video/

Capture3.jpg

Capture4.jpg

Capture_EB.jpg

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Now you can blow up your Ecoboost twice as fast!

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Because they would not tell you they had issues getting it into production or without risk of getting their bottom line ruined. Who knows - except the board did "fire" their CEO just recently even after the guy turned Ford profitable.
He wasn't pushing Ford toward the eco/electric/autonomous future as quickly as the board would have liked. The new CEO will do just that.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
Yeah but then you have an auto.
Yeah, you will, but my response was to a statement that said "The 2018 will need at least 470 hp to hang with the SS.", not "The 2018 will need at least 470 hp for a 6spd manual to hang with an 8spd automatic SS."

Driving enjoyment, and having the fastest car possible are two different things -- and the auto is always going to be faster in a straight line assuming no other changes, including the driver. Chevy's own numbers say an auto equipped SS goes 0-60 in 4.0 seconds, and a manual in 4.3 seconds.

If you compare apples to apples, the 10r80 is going to do wonders for the Mustang, and it will hang just fine with an auto Camaro. And even if there is only a 15-20hp increase, with updates to the 6spd I am sure the manual will hang with a manual SS too.
Sponsored