GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
I used a drill bit to take out most of the material in each honeycomb. Then I use a flat, metal file to clean up the inner edges. Takes more time, but I had more control than using my dremel. The dremel kept wanting to "grab". Where as the metal file is all push/pull...no rotational work.
Sponsored

OP
OP

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Ham sandwich? ? haha Lol. ..Anybody find a wasp nest in there like I did? .I knew I wasnt driving the gt a whole lot but damn they had time to build a nest.?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Rip it out, it blocks flow.

I've got my stock air box maf flow from 42lbs upto nearly 44lbs but removing that emissions / ham sandwich thing, drilling out the honey combs, fitting a velossa big mouth and K&N panel filter.
I drilled 1/2 inch holes instead of hogging it out. I also used shop air to determine the airs path. The closer to the opening, the better. Further
away, the air tends to wrap around and go elsewhere. Path of least resistance kinda thing. Another thing, with the 1/2 inch holes.. kinda get that venturi effect happening.

OP
OP

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Post some pics fellas if you can. Would be interesting to see different versions. At first my plan also was to just drill as big as possible but I just happen to have the tools, time and nerve to take it further..

Sponsored

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt 6 speed manual
No ill effects like decrease in fuel mileage removing the carbon filter in the lid of the air box?

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looked this morning never really noticed how few holes ford places in the grill opening. Ripped out the carbon trap and cut the tabs off the inside of the lid. Looking for some drills bits onto open up the honey comb there atleast for now.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Now I'm thinking about just totally cutting out all my honeycomb in the stock grill -that could probably be done from the outside with the grill (upper only) still installed right?

I mean, obviously I want a nice clean finish.

Sponsored

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG

Bill88stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drilled out all the holes infront of the intake opening too, will see if there is any difference . I'm not expecting to feel any with just the carbon trap removal and this

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
You'll do fine. I personally like the delete look
How did you finish the lower part of the grill "frame". There will of course be spots left at the honeycomb attachment points - I'm assuming I'd want to sand those down smooth, but I was concerned the sanding would leave a really visible discoloration[?]
Sponsored