Sponsored

honeycomb delete

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Finally took on the task of the factory grille mod..Would like to think I'm flowing almost twice as much air now. Might take a k&n drop-in to optimize it though. Here's pics...
20170816_161232.jpg
20170816_161423.jpg
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Get the rest drilled out too. :)

Also remove the carbon emissions thing in the lid of the air box as it blocks flow and helps quite a bit.

Doing these kind of mods on the stock air box can easily gain 10HP on a tuned car. :)

OP
OP

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks..will have to go back and look for that one.

OP
OP

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh..forgot to add . I left a few uncut for a somewhat factory appearance.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Get the rest drilled out too. :)

Also remove the carbon emissions thing in the lid of the air box as it blocks flow and helps quite a bit.

Doing these kind of mods on the stock air box can easily gain 10HP on a tuned car. :)
Carbon emissions thing? Only thing I saw in the airbox lid was some type of white foam or something. Wasn't sure what it was so left it alone.

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbon emissions thing? Only thing I saw in the airbox lid was some type of white foam or something. Wasn't sure what it was so left it alone.
Rip it out, it blocks flow.

I've got my stock air box maf flow from 42lbs upto nearly 44lbs but removing that emissions / ham sandwich thing, drilling out the honey combs, fitting a velossa big mouth and K&N panel filter.

Rdot9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium w/ Performance Package

I've got my stock air box maf flow from 42lbs upto nearly 44lbs but removing that emissions / ham sandwich thing, drilling out the honey combs, fitting a velossa big mouth and K&N panel filter.
Looks like I have some DIY mods to add on the list. thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP

So if I open the grill honeycomb up and remove the emissions foam thing, I will improve air flow and no need to do anything else? No ill effects from doing this?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Holy shit, just did it, took like 10 minutes.

Open the airbox (I loosened and removed that end of my Mishimoto intake tube), two clips, flipped it over, there it is.

Just yanked it out, it's on like 4 plastic mounting posts, but it just tears out (it's like a soft carbon filter pouch).

I tooked some snips, broke off the two mounts at the top of the box, ran some sandpaper over the residual plastic to smooth it, wiped it out with a shop towel - took out my OEM filter knocked it against the driveway to clean out any dust/dirt.

It's that simple :)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if I open the grill honeycomb up and remove the emissions foam thing, I will improve air flow and no need to do anything else? No ill effects from doing this?
Correct.

OP
OP

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What'd you do this with? Dremel? How long did it take?
Yes I used a dremel with an 1/8" collet. So for example just one honeycomb, first business was to put an 1/8 drill bit in the dremel and drill the six points thru. Then drill between the previous drilled holes. With about a dozen holes i just used the side of the drill and force to chew around the drilled pattern. After that I used some small to medium files to clean things up. Be sure when drilling to stay away from the very edge. It will allow you to file out any irregularities. Also be aware of the dremel body and any drop lights so you dont scratch or booger the grille plastic or bumper finish. Now if you have a real steady hand you can work in a dremel side milling tool which I did on some of the pockets but they like to grab easy on plastic. With all that said now you guys might have a better way to do this like removing grill etc. I will say it did take a bit of time and patience so good luck to ya!
Sponsored