Sponsored

Mtec 2-piece lightweight brake disc now available & they fit fine!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

Those following my own build thread will know I looked at the various brake options and the cheapest solution was Baer at around $1450 for all four from USA, then of course plus delivery which is not cheap for heavy brake disc and then of course any taxes and duties tax man wants. As such I went investigating what UK options I could find and after discussing with companies like Reyland which only offered 1kg saving per disc and Godspeed who just went quiet I came across Mtec in Northern Ireland.

I sent them a rear disc to copy and in short it took three attempts for them to get rears correct:
- First attempt the hat type and fixings meant they hit caliper, thankfully spotted before fitting, so no time wasted.
- Second attempt cleared everything but I had brake judder immediately and run-out was at hat, they seem to fit too tightly.
- Third time lucky, they admitted an error with back spacing on the hat, they also free of charged replaced the hat I had butchered. :)

During this I sent them a front disc, I can report the front disc first attempt has being issue free, it is silky smooth.

So tonight I fitted the rears also and all is well. :)

So those are wondering why? Well your talking a solid 11kg weight saving all round and those who have fitted lighter wheels will know how reducing unsprung mass not only makes the car accelerate faster but even more noticeable is the ride quality and handling improvements.

They also look much nicer too and at under £1000 delivered for the set makes them the best value for money.

Some weights and prices of other two piece disc options:
Here are some weights I've collected from various disc:
- Stock: 15.2kg (33.4lbs) & 7.8kg (17.2lbs)
- GT 350 stock: 14kg (30lbs) & 7kg (15.4lbs), cost $3800 plus delivery and taxes but full kit all round, so rears, calipers, half shafts etc.
- Mtec 2-piece: 12.2kg (26.9lbs) & 5.3kg (11.7lbs), cost £899 delivered
- Girodisc 2-piece: 11kg (24.5lbs) & NO rear option yet, cost $1000 plus delivery and taxes
- Baer 2-piece: 10.5kg (23.5lbs) & 5.8kg (12.8lbs), cost $1450 plus delivery and taxes
- Willwood 2-piece: 9kg (20.4lbs) & 5.8kg (12.8lbs) but bigger at 14", cost $1500 and do not fit yet and rear kit is $1850
- DBA 5000 2-piece: 11kg (24.4lbs) & no 2-piece rar and $1200 for fronts plus delivery and taxes

Here is some pictures of them installed and then fitted:

Being a noob I forgot to request their protective coating to prevent them oxidising which they did moment I washed the car and of course where the brake pads do not touch stayed a rusty colour which sent my OCD into hyperdrive.

So a trip to Halfords I checked calipers paint, only upto 180c, so I went with their very high temp 300c stuff which will do the trick and cleaned and painted the area as can be seen here:

I've also done the rears but this is a photo before doing so but now done I prefer the look of painted except of course braking area:

Of course doing things properly I went and got new pads too, I ordered pads on the provision of low dust and no noise, so went with G-Loc's street pad, same material as Carbotech entry pad which in hindsight might of being an error on my part as I intend on doing odd/rare track day and G-Loc state the pad is not for track use, though say light AutoX is fine, fingers crossed with the improved cooling of the two piece disc and me having RBF600 brake fluid they won't be an issue for some short timed sessions.

What I do like about the pads is their linear feel, the stock pads (DS2500 front) are grabby and very on off, I am sure most remember the first time they got the car and the first press of the brake nearly put you through the windscreen. The G-Loc have a lovely linear and very smooth brake pedal feel, they feel strong as well and no more of that dirty horrible brown dust. However shortly after dropping the $357 for pads all round thinking I got a great price I discovered the Z28 pads which is around $150 for a set of four, so something for you guys to remember, I know [MENTION=13920]Enoch[/MENTION] has a set of the Z28 as I recommended them to him so be good to hear his thoughts on those as the value for money is exceptional and the guys in the US rate them highly too so they just seem like a great buy.

Also my pet hate for the G-Locs is:

Yes they have red backs, which again kicked in my OCD, so they too got painted with the black treatment hence in the photos on the car you cannot see the pads. :)

So yes braking is super smooth and quiet, better than stock in that aspect, seems just as powerful. Ride quality is vastly improved the car just glides over bumps and though the ride is firm (KW Clubsports), the compliance is out of this world resulting in better ride quality than stock whilst being firmer and of course zero float.

So with wheels and brakes I've shed around 35kg unsprung mass from the vehicle which has done wonders for the ride and handling, it accelerates faster too. :)

I think if my calculations are correct the car is now around 1640kg with a full tank of fuel so the big girl has being on a little diet. :D

I hope this helps others on the fence about two-piece disc and remember with Mtec they can do you any bell/hat colour, any design you wish, I went with c-hook, but they can do grooves, holes, blank or your own funky unique design and remember if you don't want too paint them like me to prevent corrosion to select their protective coating.

They have told me they will be on their site in a few days to order, no idea on pricing but the set cost me £899 delivered and though we had issues they sorted it and arranged collection every time etc.

Thankfully I was doing all the work myself so no garage labour rates to pay otherwise I would of got pretty mad, but all is well and those now buying have no issues as I went through all the trouble on your behalf. ;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ritchie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any old shite.
Great write up as usual Gibbo, I think I'll probably go this route when replacement time comes.
How bad are the discs for rusting when left static after washing? Any different from stock?

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Looking good Gibbo....

I've double checked all my calcs with my mate, and placed the order for the new different front offset hats and the Willwood rear 4 pot kit last night:headbang:

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking good Gibbo....

I've double checked all my calcs with my mate, and placed the order for the new different front offset hats and the Willwood rear 4 pot kit last night:headbang:
Epic man, if you can get the fronts working with stock Brembo's that will be the best solution yet, well for those happy to spend more who want the lightest as under 10kg for front disc is lighter than any other option and Willwood are also a great quality brand who have being making brakes for a very long time.

The Willwood is a nicer option, my guess is rear kit and the fronts is what around $3000 delivered? Yes more expensive but they are the lightest and you get the benefits of a better looking larger diameter rear rotor and of course a proper caliper that looks vastly superior to the stock crap single piston seizing up piece of junk Ford fit. :D

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great write up as usual Gibbo, I think I'll probably go this route when replacement time comes.
How bad are the discs for rusting when left static after washing? Any different from stock?

No different than any other iron disc, they oxidise very quick, hence just get the treatment done, I think Mtec only charge £25 extra per pair of disc and you can have black, silver or gold. :)

I myself have painted them black with 300c paint, seems to be working fine and I prefer the look as from a few feet away it just looks like a black bell/hat.

Here is a picture I took this morning, excuse the filthy car, but you can see now how the black painting just blends with the hats:

IMG_0798.jpg

Sponsored

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Out of interest, does anyone know what a set of OEMs will cost you from Ford?

After 30k km my originals arent a million miles off needing doing (on the front at least).

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Out of interest, does anyone know what a set of OEMs will cost you from Ford?

After 30k km my originals arent a million miles off needing doing (on the front at least).
Disc (front) £124.73 each
Pads (front) £223.13 front set

Last edited:

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Tried to order your exact spec yesterday.
They are not on the website but i emailed claire.
I couldn't believe there could be so much confusion considering they have just made a set up and rectified problems.I got the feeling they didn't want to do another 2 piece set.Anyway, i was expecting a price today but didnt hear anything from them:shrug:

Sponsored

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I just wish the rear caliper didn't look so feeble.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just seen them on the website
Price has gone up

Looks like got quite a good price then as I paid £499 front with c hook and £399 rear with c hook.

They also got the weights wrong!

I found them a very laid back company and quite slow, but got there in the end, but they are certainly not an enthusiastic bunch but the product works and seems fine.

Really loving how fantastic the car rides due to all the weight shaved off at each corner makes a lovely difference.

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm probably going to order them when i get back, i take it its a complete kit as they only show the disc part.
Not sure they do the coating either for them.
Will stock new pads be ok do you think?

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm probably going to order them when i get back, i take it its a complete kit as they only show the disc part.
Not sure they do the coating either for them.
Will stock new pads be ok do you think?

Well they should be complete but yes pictures are miss-leading, I'd double check.

You need to request the coating, they sent me a tin of it, just seems like normal paint, but if it works, well it works. :)

Any pads are fine, so stock pads or the bargain Z28 pads you can get from USA.

The G-Loc pads I got are very friendly as not a performance pad, so in theory the disc will last very long time. Though these new pads I have do have an issue, on the rear they seem to squeak like a mouse when the brake is not applied, if I apply brake it goes away for few seconds. So they must be making marginal contact, either just because of new or I need to re-fit.
Sponsored