Sponsored

Steeda's S550 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter is Here!

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Hey guys. so my shifter has started developing a rattle at high revs. Pretty sure its the lockout collar (I have the stock one) and I thought I read somewhere here someone else had the same issue.

I can only imagine as the NVH has increased the vibrations are now noticeable through the shifter.

Any ideas and guideance? I note my lock out collar is a little grindy kind of noise when I use it
Mine was doing this right after install. there are three screws that hold the lockcollar in place - I had to fiddle a bit with the collar alignment. Now, about 5/6 months later, mine has started making noise again. It is the lockout collar.

I can't remember for sure, but I think you just need to pop the boot (the chrome bezel) out of the console and re-align/tighten the bolts that hold the collar in place. If the screws can't be accessed by just popping the boot, the center stack will need to be removed.

I have a barton aluminium lockout collar I am going to try - not sure if that would make the same noises. Might be worth putting some loctite blue on the screws. I am going to try the aluminium collar without and see what happens.
Sponsored

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Mine was doing this right after install. there are three screws that hold the lockcollar in place - I had to fiddle a bit with the collar alignment. Now, about 5/6 months later, mine has started making noise again. It is the lockout collar.

I can't remember for sure, but I think you just need to pop the boot (the chrome bezel) out of the console and re-align/tighten the bolts that hold the collar in place. If the screws can't be accessed by just popping the boot, the center stack will need to be removed.

I have a barton aluminium lockout collar I am going to try - not sure if that would make the same noises. Might be worth putting some loctite blue on the screws. I am going to try the aluminium collar without and see what happens.
I installed Barton's aluminum lockout collar when the Tri-Ax was installed. Haven't had any rattling noises. But I do remember that, for a while, the collar was a little grindy when moving it up a down. It eventually smoothed out.

Here's a link to the Barton collar on CJ Pony Parts. I would have gone with the Steeda collar but they weren't available at the time. I'm assuming they are now.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/barton-i...et-brushed-v6-ecoboost-gt-2015-2017/p/HW3531/

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys. so my shifter has started developing a rattle at high revs. Pretty sure its the lockout collar (I have the stock one) and I thought I read somewhere here someone else had the same issue.

I can only imagine as the NVH has increased the vibrations are now noticeable through the shifter.

Any ideas and guideance? I note my lock out collar is a little grindy kind of noise when I use it
Phil,

Please send me your contact info to [email protected] ... we'll get you taken care of.

Best Regards,

TJ

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks very much guys, appreciate the advice. [MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION] - have just sent you an email

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I installed Barton's aluminum lockout collar when the Tri-Ax was installed. Haven't had any rattling noises. But I do remember that, for a while, the collar was a little grindy when moving it up a down. It eventually smoothed out.

Here's a link to the Barton collar on CJ Pony Parts. I would have gone with the Steeda collar but they weren't available at the time. I'm assuming they are now.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/barton-i...et-brushed-v6-ecoboost-gt-2015-2017/p/HW3531/
I installed my barton collar on Thursday. Noises/vibrations are gone, but it is definitely not very smooth. I think the inner diameter is not quite enough to clear the pin the holds the spring in place. Do you remember how long it took to smooth out?

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
I installed my barton collar on Thursday. Noises/vibrations are gone, but it is definitely not very smooth. I think the inner diameter is not quite enough to clear the pin the holds the spring in place. Do you remember how long it took to smooth out?
Probably several months. And it's still not buttery smooth going up and down as I move the shifter into and out of reverse. But it's not as sticky/grinding as when first installed. :cheers:

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Probably several months. And it's still not buttery smooth going up and down as I move the shifter into and out of reverse. But it's not as sticky/grinding as when first installed. :cheers:
Thx. I am thinking of maybe giving the steeda one a go. But they want $69 to ship it to Canada. :shrug:

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
Thx. I am thinking of maybe giving the steeda one a go. But they want $69 to ship it to Canada. :shrug:
Maybe remove the Barton collar and see where it's rubbing and then sand that area a little bit? I think it's inside the collar.

My is fine now and I like the collar and the Tri-Ax. :cheers:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Great video from American Muscle showcasing our Steeda Tri-Ax:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]oFl2NTUDXzE[/MEDIA]"]

Best Regards,

TJ

Sponsored

SIMS1724

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS Ingot Silver
I'm not sure if it will bud, I sent you a pm :)
I'm doing the exact same thing, i have the GT350 shift knob modified for 12x1.25 pitch, and am planning on getting the tri-ax with the delrin reverse lockout collar. Can you tell me if that works?

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
[MENTION=26397]16silvergt[/MENTION] yes that set-up works. I've been running the tri-ax with the GT350 knob and Steeda's black delrin reverse lock-out collar for a year.

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
@16silvergt yes that set-up works. I've been running the tri-ax with the GT350 knob and Steeda's black delrin reverse lock-out collar for a year.
@bluebyeu Did you have to do anything to the GT350 knob? I have the same shifter and collar setup but I'm getting rattling with 2 aftermarket knobs that I have tried (Roush and the GT350 knob from CJPP that fits the GT).

The stock knob does not rattle..I see that there is a plastic "collar" above the threads on the stock knob, whereas aftermarket knobs and the gt350 knob is flat after the threads and does not have this feature...I'm getting terrible rattles above 3k rpm's.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
No rattling but I had an issue with the 350 knob staying seated on the shifter. Picked the knob up from CJ Pony. I had 2 different shops put the knob on after I tried numerous times myself. The blue loctite wouldn't hold the.knob in place. So I decided to go with the red loctite. I haven't had a prob since.

I did not run this set-up with the stock knob.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Proper O-Ring Orientation

Picture illustrates proper placement,to eliminate rattle. Also. make sure you center the collar properly with the three allen screws.
O-Ring orientation.jpg
Sponsored