Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't regret it, but I wish it was a better transmission. The 1-2 and 2-3 shifts have a lot of slack that makes me feel like I'm driving a tractor trailer. I take that back, I drove for 16 years and I'm pretty sure the 10 speed Eaton has less play in it.

Just when I think I've finally got my shifts with this thing down smooth I have a moment where the shift feels slack and the car bucks a little. I've never had a manual that I haven't been able to master in days until this one. After a year sometimes I feel like a 15 year old just learning to drive a stick.

Eventually I'd like to go Tremec, but for now it is what it is. I added the Steeda shifter, which helped. Reverse works like stock. The Raceseng shift knob added mass and also helped. I've got the Optimum BG kit ready to go and that'll be next.
Sponsored

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Crazy question right? This tranny is junk imo. The notchiness, sloppy feeling is annoying and so unrefined. Oh well, get the MGW and BG fluid! Well, I did on both! They helped but I still hate this trans, it is still notchy and I am seeing quite a few blown clutch posts on here. I enjoy driving a manual car immensly just wish this was a better performing trans. Btw, my 95lb gf cant put the damn car in reverse because of the mgw requiring to much force to get it into R. 1000 miles later it has not lossened up.
I'm with ya! I have the manual and wouldn't have it any other way, but to use a Chinese designed truck transmission in a performance car is an absolute disgrace. Getrag my a$$. Getrag partially owns Jianxi, but it's Jianxi's product. A design made for friggin' trucks! The MT82 is a disgrace.

I have the factory service manual. It says "excessive effort" is normal for the MT82. Maybe they should have tuned the detents before they put it in a car with a short handled shifter. It's not a truck with a 2 foot long shifter sticking out of the floor!

I miss the T56 I had in my '97 Camaro. That is how a pony car is supposed to feel. Or the feel of my buddy's 2002 Vette. That is nirvana!!!

J

OP
OP

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
I changed to the Magnum XL best tranny available, but honestly if a true twin clutch box were offered I would have chosen that.

May I ask how much was trans, driveshaft and clutch??

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
This manual is the best I've had in 40 years of driving 8 manuals and only owning two automatics.
I agree. It shifted smoother than any tremec I've driven once I added the mgw shifter. I like my 6060 swap because it holds the power, but I miss the mt82.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I don't regret getting the manual...driving with an auto just isn't fun or engaging. To be completely honest, if it was a DCT, I would have gotten it without thinking...but well, a man can dream.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, never. MGW is on my list to finish it.

I would only get an auto if I was physically unable to take shifting (injury) or if I suddenly decided to hell with track
/autocross and wanted to just go drag racing...and that was the only thing I did. Otherwise I want this car with a manual for everything else, including daily driving.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
Wow.
I love it.
I hate it.
It's the best I've ever driven.
It's the worst I've ever driven.

Imagine someone new to the forum wondering whether to get a manual. They'd probably just buy a Vette.

For the record I like my manual with an MGW+BG. Personally, I like a bit of notchiness, but everyone's different. The shifts are solid and precise, and I get a kick out of being connected to the car in a way that autos can't match.

OP
OP

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
Wow.
I love it.
I hate it.
It's the best I've ever driven.
It's the worst I've ever driven.

Imagine someone new to the forum wondering whether to get a manual. They'd probably just buy a Vette.

For the record I like my manual with an MGW+BG. Personally, I like a bit of notchiness, but everyone's different. The shifts are solid and precise, and I get a kick out of being connected to the car in a way that autos can't match.
It seems like some 82s are more refined then others. Such a massive difference in opinions on it,lol. Maybe in two years when I go big power I will swap it out to XL.

Sooty M.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP - Guard W/Black OTTS
Well my MT82 is not refined. Spent ~$600 getting this thing to be a better DD experience. I came from a fiesta sfe which had better manners, so does the manual on the focus.
Ultimately it was driving a number of GT350s that really made the shortcomings of the MT82 apparent. That tremec with the clutch pack and different flywheel are a really good combo for both performance and comfort.
The upcoming MT82-D4 with a dual clutch and dual mass flywheel sounds promising... hoping the clutch pack bolts up well.
At least the manual is cheaper than the auto. I dont regret the manual i just wish it was better.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
My MT82 has moods, just like the rest of the car. Most of the time it's a blast, but that's partially because it is mated to a Mcleod RST and has an MGW and fluid swap.

Sponsored

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
sometimes wish i got a manual, but the 1 hour of traffic a day to/from work makes me really happy i got the auto. That and less Chinese parts, but the manual is fun.

Had a 15 wrx with a manual, and the seat sat so high it was the most uncomfortable manual i ever drove. Sold the car in 4 months.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
nope, don't regret it one bit. if i wanted an automatic id get an f250. witch is next on the list. tranny could be better but o well for the budget they had to work with its what we got. you can custom order with a tremec cant you? people blowing clutches on new cars to me only means either people cant drive stick or are pushing it to the limits and racing often. thats what happens when you race. THINGS BREAK. i can see going auto in a 10 sec or faster drag car but not on a sports car that was made to be shifted manually.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Glad I got the automatic. I use the paddle shifters on the road course and it works great. I don't get these guys on this forum that get M/T on this car that they are going to drag race. Road course, different story.

I've had M/T cars as daily drivers in the past -and I've been driving a while. After sitting in traffic for the majority of my 35 years on the road, I'm DONE with a manual as a DD. I can have a coffee and a breakfast sandwich on the way to work :)

If I was to have a weekend toy, then a manual trans would be on the table...

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Traffic does suck in the manual give you that for sure. But I don't plan on having the GT as the daily driver forever just until that shiny F250 gets in my driveway.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
sometimes wish i got a manual, but the 1 hour of traffic a day to/from work makes me really happy i got the auto. That and less Chinese parts, but the manual is fun.

Had a 15 wrx with a manual, and the seat sat so high it was the most uncomfortable manual i ever drove. Sold the car in 4 months.
Problems I never experienced. The only thing I didn't like about it was how sloppy it was. Kartboy short shift plate and bearing fixed that.
Sponsored