Sponsored

Yet another MT-82 thread

delton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Sorry in advance for the long post.
Searched but couldn't find anyone with the same problem. If I missed it, I'm sure someone will let me know.

2016 GT, MT-82, bought new and have yet to take it to a track. I've been driving and racing (drag and road) manual transmissions since 1980. Always had a manual as a daily driver. Power shifting, speed shifting, heel toe all not a problem.

With 2k on the car, I took trip to FL. After 3 hours of Interstate cruising, I coasted into a parking space. With my foot off the gas, I pressed the clutch pedal quickly and the entire trans felt like it was going to shake out of the car. Not just gear rattle, but serious rocking of the entire drive line.

Went to the dealer and was told everything is normal. I don't think the trans got hot enough when they drove it. Was told by the Tech to not worry because I have plenty of warranty.

Now at 7k, the trans will do the same thing pulling into a parking space after about an hour of driving. The trans will also rock back and forth just by quickly pressing the clutch pedal when accelerating from 1st gear. Just pressing the clutch quickly, no shifting and the trans will rock back and forth. And of course now the clutch pedal is starting to vibrate.

Went to the dealer. Took the service writer out, accelerated quickly from 1st and pressed in the clutch pedal in quickly. The trans shook and rocked. Service writer said somethings not right.

Two techs and the service manager said I was shifting improperly. They said the car has so much torque that you have to completely lift of the gas before you even start to press the clutch.

When I'm accelerating fast and shifting quickly, I'll start to release the gas at the same time I start to press the clutch. By the time I'm completely off the gas, the clutch is on the floor and that is when I start to move the shifter. This only takes a split second.

Anyone else have this problem or have been told to shift their MT-82 like a big rig?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Funny my shifter stay put solid. Doesn't move at all.
Check your shifter linkages. Maybe it's loose.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have bad clutch pedal buzz during disengagement in between shifts. Higher the rpm the worse the buzz. Techs are right about needing to be completely off the gas though. Slow your shifting down and try what they said see if it helps.

I too was told not to worry because it is warrantied. I will be test driving the A10 when it comes out.

ArabianOak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
If your pedal is to the floor it's most likely the clutch line...maybe it's pinched or maybe the fluid is bad...you can have that looked at OR get a braided clutch line which completely eliminates the clutch pedal to the floor issue...FYI i'm on the stock clutch and stock clutch line with 32k AND a boosted set up...none of the issues your having...sorry man!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Check clutch line at the brake fluid reservoir (bottom right) - see if in all the way, leaking?

Also, I had to learn how to operate the clutch in sequence with the gas and shifting differently in this car. Took me a few months. Also had to teach a friend because he was jerking the car, despite having driven manuals for a while. Ford put all the grab at the top end of the pedal and there's relatively little fad into clutch engagement across the 9 miles of clutch pedal travel these cars have. Mix that with the awful slop in the driveline and you get all kinds of goofy stuff.

Could also be a glazed flywheel.

Sponsored

OP
OP

delton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Thanks for the replies. All good info.

I'll check the line

PROJECTeleven

KCCO DFW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
twentyseventeen gt/pp
Clutch spring removed?

OP
OP

delton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Funny that I got the car back with LC on.
At least they know how to launch.
I think this car has been like this since it's rolled off the line.
I'm just the first to drive it long enough to get it to act up.
Or maybe someone glazed the flywheel on a test drive.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Sorry in advance for the long post.
Searched but couldn't find anyone with the same problem. If I missed it, I'm sure someone will let me know.

2016 GT, MT-82, bought new and have yet to take it to a track. I've been driving and racing (drag and road) manual transmissions since 1980. Always had a manual as a daily driver. Power shifting, speed shifting, heel toe all not a problem.

With 2k on the car, I took trip to FL. After 3 hours of Interstate cruising, I coasted into a parking space. With my foot off the gas, I pressed the clutch pedal quickly and the entire trans felt like it was going to shake out of the car. Not just gear rattle, but serious rocking of the entire drive line.

Went to the dealer and was told everything is normal. I don't think the trans got hot enough when they drove it. Was told by the Tech to not worry because I have plenty of warranty.

Now at 7k, the trans will do the same thing pulling into a parking space after about an hour of driving. The trans will also rock back and forth just by quickly pressing the clutch pedal when accelerating from 1st gear. Just pressing the clutch quickly, no shifting and the trans will rock back and forth. And of course now the clutch pedal is starting to vibrate.

Went to the dealer. Took the service writer out, accelerated quickly from 1st and pressed in the clutch pedal in quickly. The trans shook and rocked. Service writer said somethings not right.

Two techs and the service manager said I was shifting improperly. They said the car has so much torque that you have to completely lift of the gas before you even start to press the clutch.

When I'm accelerating fast and shifting quickly, I'll start to release the gas at the same time I start to press the clutch. By the time I'm completely off the gas, the clutch is on the floor and that is when I start to move the shifter. This only takes a split second.

Anyone else have this problem or have been told to shift their MT-82 like a big rig?
What you say about lash in the driveline?

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.1141 this helps greatly reduce the slop in the shifter and transmission, also replace the clutch line with a stainless steel one, the SVE line is less then 60.00 helps out alot for repeated use on hot days or track use. Either remove clutch spring or replace with a lower lbs one such as Steeda it's less then 20 shipped.

OP
OP

delton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Thanks again for all the help.
The clutch line was about 3/8ths from being completely set. Also had small amount of fluid leak around the joint. No evidence of drips. Curious to see if reseating the line makes a difference but I see bushings, mounts and ss line in my future.
Sponsored