Sponsored

Steeda tri-ax race shifter rattle - Need help/Bergen County NJ area

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Anyone know of a place that I could bring my 17 GT PP to check out my Steeda tri-ax race shifter. I got it installed at a local garage with no special expertise in this and I suspect he has no idea how to troubleshoot this.

My shifter works except I get this rattle above 4k rpm inside the shift collar. Its the most annoying sound ever. Its the most pronounced in 3rd and 4th gear and goes away if my hand is holding or resting against the shifter.

I'm not too mechanically inclined so I'm looking for someone that has done this install before to check it out. Any recommendations welcomed!

Thanks!
Sponsored

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
This is an easy fix. Just unscrew the shift knob, pull up on the console (2ea. 7mm-head bolts, a few plastic clips, and a wiring clip and tighten the set screws on the collar.

Thing is, though, the stock plastic collar is pretty cheaply made. Spend the $50 and replace it with a billet aluminum collar. The new one won't rattle like the plastic one and will feel a lot better in your hand.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
This is an easy fix. Just unscrew the shift knob, pull up on the console (2ea. 7mm-head bolts, a few plastic clips, and a wiring clip and tighten the set screws on the collar.

Thing is, though, the stock plastic collar is pretty cheaply made. Spend the $50 and replace it with a billet aluminum collar. The new one won't rattle like the plastic one and will feel a lot better in your hand.
Also make sure the o-rings are properly seated and preventing the reverse lockout from rattling.

Please call us if you need further assistance.

Steeda Tech

Glex25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I actually had to change the reverse lockout collar to the Steeda billet lockout collar and no more rattle. I had followed all the previous recommendations and that is the only thing that fixed it for me.

I'm in Passaic County if you want to check it out

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

I have the Steeda billet collar.

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Also make sure the o-rings are properly seated and preventing the reverse lockout from rattling.

Please call us if you need further assistance.

Steeda Tech
In addition to checking the o-rings, is it possible the mechanic did not take the old washer from the old shifter?

I'm reading the install instructions and it reads:
10. ....install "white factory plastic anti rattle washer on top of the set screws"

If so, anyone have the part number?

Sorry if I sound lke I don't know what I'm talking about...its because I don't. But I wanted to check every thing I might need before attempting to take the center console apart.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
In addition to checking the o-rings, is it possible the mechanic did not take the old washer from the old shifter?

I'm reading the install instructions and it reads:
10. ....install "white factory plastic anti rattle washer on top of the set screws"

If so, anyone have the part number?

Sorry if I sound lke I don't know what I'm talking about...its because I don't. But I wanted to check every thing I might need before attempting to take the center console apart.
Send me your contact info & we'll work on getting this resolved. You can email me at [email protected].

Best Regards,

TJ

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Send me your contact info & we'll work on getting this resolved. You can email me at [email protected].

Best Regards,

TJ

Thanks for reaching out. I really appreciate it but it turned out to be the shift knob after all. I've tried 2 aftermarket shift knobs and they both rattle (Roush knob and a GT350 knob). Putting the stock knob on, the rattling stopped.

I noticed on the stock shift knob, there is a plastic tube/collar above the threads...this looks like what's preventing the rattle. Both the Roush and GT350 knob ends at the treads...I suspect the lack of that plastic tube/collar is the culprit.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions to properly mounting an aftermarket shift knob?

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Is there any room for a small rubber o-ring or washer of some sort to dampen the vibrations?
Picture illustrates proper placement,to eliminate rattle. Also. make sure you center the collar properly with the three allen screws.
O-Ring orientation.jpg

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Picture illustrates proper placement,to eliminate rattle. Also. make sure you center the collar properly with the three allen screws.
Looks like my collar is slightly off center visually at least and is touching the front side of the knob after threading it more than 4+ rotations. I'm going to check the Allen screws as suggested. Hoping this will finally solve it
Sponsored