Sponsored

Will the body shop match Ford's OEM magnetic metallic paint?

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
So I took my car to a highly reputable collision center today who I've had do some work on my previous car, my cool vanilla 08 dodge charger SE (yeah I don't have that anymore).

Anyways, I was discussing with a friend that this shop would be re-painting my door because of a few deep scratches thanks to a crowbar in the middle of the road, and he mentioned that, from his experience, the paint will always be noticeably different.

Does anyone have any experience regarding this? I have a magnetic metallic s550 and wasn't told by the shop that the paint would be different. I'm still going to call them tomorrow, but just wanted to ask some members here for a peace of mind. I can't imagine that it'd be noticeably different and they not say anything up front, especially considering how obvious this would be and I'm sure it would have raised many concerns and issues in the past.

Lots of the aftermarket parts that I've gotten for my car (hood scoop, roush fascia, spoiler, and side scoops) look absolutely exactly like the rest of my car and doesn't even look a tad bit off. Just wanting a peace of mind and curious to know what some of you have been through with this.
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
the roush paint is so spot on because it's the actual paint ford uses too if i recall.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
the roush paint is so spot on because it's the actual paint ford uses too if i recall.
Thanks for the input. Any idea about like the CDC Outlaw spoiler being exactly the same too? Any idea if I should probably expect some differences from the body shop?

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
I have Ingot Silver and my rear bumper had to be repainted due to a minor rear-end collision. My local body shop got it perfect - cannot see any difference at all. And silver has a LOT of metallic in it.

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST

Sponsored

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've been worried about this since I got my car.

I bought some Magnetic "color-matched" strut covers from JLT and in natural light the paint on them doesn't even come close to being a match of the underhood paint. It's not nearly as bad inside my shop under artificial lighting. It's like they have more of a brownish tone to them in sunlight.

I shudder to think of ever needing paint work done on mine....

RoninRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Prem. (PP) Magnetic
I'm right there with you, makes me wanna clear bra the whole damn car!

Arsenalslr95

V6 Tactical Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Cyclone
Ill be finding out soon enough, I need the half the rear passenger side re-painted and the whole rear bumper. My body shop is fantastic though, if they were able to match up the Sublime metallic on my charger perfect 3 different times, im not too concerned about the magnetic

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ill be finding out soon enough, I need the half the rear passenger side re-painted and the whole rear bumper. My body shop is fantastic though, if they were able to match up the Sublime metallic on my charger perfect 3 different times, im not too concerned about the magnetic
I've got my car in the shop too. Magnetic. Let me know how yours goes.

Sponsored
OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Hey guys, I actually had my local shop to repaint my entire passenger door, and I can say that it's a perfect match. I've looked at it in several lighting conditions and it's impressive. I was told that it's more difficult to match the paint if the paint job on the car is pretty old, but who knows.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Hey guys, I actually had my local shop to repaint my entire passenger door, and I can say that it's a perfect match. I've looked at it in several lighting conditions and it's impressive. I was told that it's more difficult to match the paint if the paint job on the car is pretty old, but who knows.
The trick is look at it under florescent lighting. I find natural lighting hides color differences very well.
Different clear coat pass through different spectrum and its more noticeable under florescent lighting.
I guess if you are happy that's what matters.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
The trick is look at it under florescent lighting. I find natural lighting hides color differences very well.
Different clear coat pass through different spectrum and its more noticeable under florescent lighting.
I guess if you are happy that's what matters.
Gotcha, haven't tried that. I agree though. As long as it looks perfect to everyone else that walks up and looks at it, I'm happy, lol.

ohbuckeyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium

There's a lot of flake in this color. I had a buddies shop paint my rear garnish and spoiler. Honestly it doesn't match 100% but it's pretty close and I think as time goes by it'll blend just fine. Most ppl can't even tell

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got my magnetic back from the stealership body shop and I think they did a good job matching the paint (new fender, repainted the door to match). However, I'm seeing gobs of swirls which hopefully will come out with a wash - we'll see. The paint match seems fairly accurate though.

One more reason to wrap the car, I think.
Sponsored