OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 shadow black mustang GT
Well a little update guys. After further investigation with the camera. need new pistons and the heads to be honed. So I'm gonna rebuild for performance . and my spark plugs were extrmely fouled out bad .
Sucks but I'll come back stronger and it will take a beating.
Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Well a little update guys. After further investigation with the camera. need new pistons and the heads to be honed. So I'm gonna rebuild for performance . and my spark plugs were extrmely fouled out bad .
Sucks but I'll come back stronger and it will take a beating.
Sorry to hear that you experienced more damage than originally thought but I don't think that is very surprising. Let us know when Ford service responds and what they say as this will be helpful for others who experience similar failures in the future. Also, some pics of the damage may be helpful to some of the technical gurus on this site. Cheers. :cheers:

OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 shadow black mustang GT
Haven't really updated. . so it was a broken camshaft bolt on drivers side,shot down into piston and ruined evrything. So motor is out and being built.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Haven't really updated. . so it was a broken camshaft bolt on drivers side,shot down into piston and ruined evrything. So motor is out and being built.
How does a broken camshaft bolt shoot down into a piston.....?

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Yeah, I'm a bit lost as to what really happened here. No cam bolt is going to fly down into the piston.

Sponsored

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
How does a broken camshaft bolt shoot down into a piston.....?
yeh, not going to happen. But if a camshaft bolt, being the center sprocket one, I could see it dropping a valve into piston cause of out of time.

haven't worked on these engines but pretty sure there no pins for timing.
So if crank pulley or cam bolts loosen you lose timing (I still can't believe there doing this).

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
So even if you rebuilt the pistons, rods, and connectors - a bolt coming loose from the camshaft its a pretty good sign that these motors were not built for this. Or worse, it was a factory defect made worse by the tune and you gave them a get-out-of-jail free card.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Sounds like a bolt failure could have caused the cam phase angle to not change when it should have. This could cause a loss of hydraulic pressure, which is what the ECU uses to control the phase angle of the cam.

The ECU is expecting the valves to be opened and closed at a certain point and for a certain duration and all of the sudden they are not. It would likely be unable to accommodate for conditions that radically different than expected, resulting in all kinds of pressure spikes or losses, erratic and unpredictable detonations.

I'll be the loss of the ECU's ability to control the phase angle is really what caused it and that was due to hydraulic failure from a sheared bolt. That bolt may have been defective, as in the steel used wasn't properly processed, formed, alloyed etc. or could have been improperly torqued.

This is the first I've heard of this particular type of failure. It seems likely this a factory defect, but we cannot know 100% for sure, phase angle is controlled by the ECU, improper control of the phase angle can certainly cause catastrophic failure.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
yeh, not going to happen. But if a camshaft bolt, being the center sprocket one, I could see it dropping a valve into piston cause of out of time.

haven't worked on these engines but pretty sure there no pins for timing.
So if crank pulley or cam bolts loosen you lose timing (I still can't believe there doing this).
That would depend on if the engine is interference type of not. Typically however, as long as the phase angle can only be within the set range, it would still not allow interference as the timing chain is still indexed within the window of phase angle change.

However if the phase angle is now longer adequately controlled by the ECU due to loss of hydraulic pressure, that could cause some serious issues with timing, pressure etc due to valve timing being in a different state than they are expected to be in by the ECU.
Sponsored