Sponsored

Fix For Climate Controlled Seats Not Cooling

Any interest in a fix for TSB modified or 2017 models?

• Yes, I had the TSB done, but I am still unhappy

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • Yes, I have a 2017 Mustang, and the seat back doesn't cool

Votes: 27 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
That's strange. I haven't experienced any trouble with that.

Setting the vents manually does turn off the "AUTO" function, but the temperature control still works for me. Pushing auto again seems to set everything back fine.

My experience has been that "AUTO" mode, based on the temperature set and I assume the current environment, just changes the configuration of the system – which vents the air blow from, whether the compressor and/or recirculation are turned on, etc. With "AUTO" on or off, the fan speed and air temperature still vary based on the set temp.

Anyone else had an issue using the vents set manually?
It changes from a temp setting to a "lo" setting.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Darko66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
It changes from a temp setting to a "lo" setting.
Sounds like something is wrong to me.

Have you ever updated the Sync software? There's only been one update since I got my car. I don't think there's anything in the update for the climate system, but I'm wondering if doing the update would reset the system.

Good luck.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like something is wrong to me.

Have you ever updated the Sync software? There's only been one update since I got my car. I don't think there's anything in the update for the climate system, but I'm wondering if doing the update would reset the system.

Good luck.
Yes, I have. You know what...on reconsideration I think what I did was first set the screen settings to split the air top and bottom. Then, because the flow was much reduced at the top I set it to MAX AC. That's when temp changes to just LO and not a specific temp. But from there it is a hassle getting the temp numbers to come back on. If I just turn off MAX it stays in LO. So I turn the whole thing on and off a few times and somehow I eventually get back the numbers. But in the heat, with it split, if I don't set it to MAX and get the extra flow and cooling it is so hot I don't even care about the seats. Or I can just leave it blowing from the top and it cools fine, but doesn't feed the bottom. Of course in MAX the auto function is overridden.

I'll check it again next time I drive it. I've been away in the mountains for the last few days using my Jeep.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Impressions

OK, I got to drive it Thursday. It was only in the 70s, but the car was very warm inside from sitting in the garage.

I drove it both with ac set to automatic, and by changing it to MAX and finally to split system...top and bottom vent. Since it wasn't a super hot day, the results were all about the same. I was alone, but ran both sides. Mostly on the freeway, 2 trips about 20 mins each.

The bottom got cool. At times I thought the top seemed cool, but it was so slight I was never sure, but definitely not cool like the top. I NEVER felt hot at the top, however. I felt the back of the passenger's seat several times, and it was barely warm, and again never hot, like before.

DISCLAIMER: as I said before, I installed leather Katzkin seats with perforations and special foam for the seat coolers, but they have no porous exhaust panels in back. I would have thought they would get hotter, since there is no easy outlet for the fan heat, but they were barely warm.

CONCLUSION: If they continue to run like this in the warmer weather, I will be satisfied to have gotten rid of the overheating of the seat backs. Still, somewhat inconclusive, since this isn't the intense heat we had that drove me to doing the mod. Knowing how it is all hooked up I can't see how it wouldn't help. That's a lot of air available for the seat, that it didn't have before. And having taken the seat completely apart, that's a very packed area. I think one problem is the fans are so weak. You can't put your hand over them and really feel anything coming out. But you can hear them running if you put your ear to the seat. I suppose there is a concern to not use something that could easily burn out while someone is sitting on it. But for now I believe it is PROBLEM SOLVED. :clap2:

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Drove in 96 degrees yesterday with same results. Still barely warm on the seat back...on the back of the seat, not the front. So I think it has eliminated the hot seat back problem.:headbang:

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Bump

And ordered

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Has anyone seen this? I came across it via googling Ford SSM's. Unfortunately, I am unable to determine the issues SSM number, but out of curiosity, I wonder if the same update can be performed on the Mustang?

If someone is internal to Ford and can provide more info as to the complete SSM that would be great!

Climate Control Seat –
Poor Cooling Performance –
2016 Lincoln MKX
oemdtc
January 1, 2017 Diagnostic Tips
2016 MKX – Climate Control Seat – Poor Cooling Performance – Built On Or Before 3-Oct-2016

Some 2016 MKX vehicles equipped with climate control seats and built on or before 3-Oct-2016 may exhibit poor cooling performance from the climate control seat.

To correct the condition, update the seat control module E (SCME) as-built configuration using IDS version 103.01 or higher.

Make sure you are connected to the internet when downloading the updated as-built data.

OP
OP

Darko66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
TSB Modified Blower Attachment Now Available

Sorry it took me so long to get this ready to go, but I finally have an attachment that will connect to the newer "sock" version of the blower unit.

If you want to give it a try it's available from my website Darko66.com

A few things of note:

I can't make any claims on how much of an improvement it will make. It should do two things however: allow the fan to perform at it's maximum ability (the sock Ford added to the unit greatly restricts air intake) and also allow the fan to draw assumedly cooler air from the front of the seat.

Since the sock has to be removed from the blower unit, it might be necessary to remove the blower from the seat to do so. It's not that hard to pop off, but you do need to be able to get a good grip of it. I made a brief video that shows the removal of the sock and the install of the attachment. You can view it below.
[ame]

Regarding the video, please note that I cut off the sock from the plastic ring, but that isn't necessary. I'd cut it off while I was investigating before I understood how it was held on. Also note that video cuts off at the end while I'm commenting on the cable tie hook. I was just saying that I added the hook so that a cable tie can be added to hold the attachment to the blower. It isn't required as the clips hold it on securely, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a little extra hold to minimize vibration.

Once the sock is removed, the unit doesn't have any kind of screen/filter to keep dust out. I've added a very coarse aluminum screen to keep anything large from being drawn in, but dust will be still be drawn into the blower and seat. What kind of long-term effect this might have I don't know. If you are concerned about this, I'd recommend adding something to the intake hoses to filter the air.

Beyond the removal of the sock and the snapping on instead of screwing on of the attachment, the install is the same as the original.
Sock-2-pack-sm.jpg

Sponsored

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry of my ignorance but, this will attach to the fan in the seat back correct and take the sock out of the equation? I'm about to order a set and just want to make sure I put it in correctly.

OP
OP

Darko66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Sorry of my ignorance but, this will attach to the fan in the seat back correct and take the sock out of the equation? I'm about to order a set and just want to make sure I put it in correctly.
Yes, sorry, I might not have made that clear. The sock comes off altogether and the attachment snaps on and then you add the three 3/4" hoses to the attachment like shown in the instructions for the original attachment.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, sorry, I might not have made that clear. The sock comes off altogether and the attachment snaps on and then you add the three 3/4" hoses to the attachment like shown in the instructions for the original attachment.
Cool thats what i was assuming but, I would rather ask just to make sure. Thanks again man! Cant wait to get the part in to fix this issue.

OP
OP

Darko66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost
End of the Road

I've decided to cut my losses and end my sponsorship here. This thread will likely go dark in about a week.

My website is paid up through the end of July, so it will remain up until then if anyone wants to order the attachment.

Thanks to all those who purchased the attachment and gave it a try. I hope it provided some improvement for you.

Best wishes.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
I've decided to cut my losses and end my sponsorship here. This thread will likely go dark in about a week.

My website is paid up through the end of July, so it will remain up until then if anyone wants to order the attachment.

Thanks to all those who purchased the attachment and gave it a try. I hope it provided some improvement for you.

Best wishes.
sorry to hear that. I was using my seat cooler over the last couple days. the mod definitely helps. I actually felt some cooling on my back. not a huge amount, but still better than when it used to heat up instead of cool. that made it unusable. so glad I did the mod. thanks for providing it. :clap2::clap2::clap2:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.