Sponsored

Installed the Energy Suspension Bushing

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Today I installed the Energy Suspension Bushing because the cold weather has been making my shifts notchy.

This thing was not easy to do, even with jack rails. It's very hard to get your hand above the drive shaft and your arm between the pipes while laying on your back. It's almost impossible to get both hands up there at the same time. I almost gave up trying to slide the bushing on, it would not budge. I used a little bit of spit and tried a few more times, that did the trick!

It was worth the effort, my shifts are much more defined. It's very similar to the Steeda bushing I installed on my 2013 v6. Most of the notchy shifts are gone except I occasionally get it from 2-3. The Ford bushing was basically flimsy rubber. The OEM bushing from my 2013 was firmer but also garbage

I have a Whiteline Positive Shift Transmission Mount I may try adding to the equation if the notchy shifts get worse in the winter. That looks extremely easy to install, just worried about NVH
Sponsored

arw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
I tried to install but had to give up. I could not get the thing over the end of shaft even with a dose of grease. Their direction sheet did not show the lip on the end that I encountered on mine. Good idea, poor execution.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Energy shift mount and whiteline trans mount are a good combo. No issues here.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The install was a total PITA, but a good product overall. It has made shifts much more positive and crisp. Waiting on putting in BG Syncroshift II soon to smooth them out. I'm not planning on any of the trans mounts/bushings for NVH concerns.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to install but had to give up. I could not get the thing over the end of shaft even with a dose of grease. Their direction sheet did not show the lip on the end that I encountered on mine. Good idea, poor execution.
What lip are you referring to?

Sponsored

arw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
I am assuming we are talking about the poly shifter bushing made by energy suspension. My shifter housing has a lip on the tail end, over which the bushing has to travel. I was not able to get the bushing over this lip.

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I don't think it's a lip, it's just s tight fit and pressure has to be perfectly applied at a tough angle

arw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Mine has a lip/flange, casting flaw-whatever you want to call it. The bushing would not pass over the end of the shifter housing even with grease and a pry bar. Glad you wee able to get your installed. Andy

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
I have the ecoboost with the steeda bracket and whiteline insert with no noticeable vibration. I did drill a 1" hole in the large flat part of the whiteline insert with a hole saw first to make sure I didn't have any issues. I'm not sure how if it would have been the same without doing so.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Gee!! I don't think it took me more than 20 minutes to install the Energy Suspension shifter bushing. It was an extremely simple swap, took longer to get the bracket off with that retaining clip than to put it back together with the new bushing.

I also have the Steeda transmission insert and there is not a better <$50 mod that you can make IMHO.

Sponsored

arw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Tried again with a different grease and got it on. Shifting feels a little more precise.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I was having a bit on an issue with the install what I did was put the bushing on the shifter THEN pushed the bracket over the bushing. worked well popped right no

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Love this mod. Install was incredibly easy though. 10-15 minutes on jack stands. Installing bushing in bracket first made it very easy. I did the trans mount insert at the same time. Little increase in nvh but made everything feel more solid and tight.
Sponsored