Why do you mod?

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Even Ford has their own performance tune to unlock the power way beyond stock, so OEM knows best seems strange for Mustang talk anyhow. Isn't the Mustang the most modified car in the world?

Stock my Ecoboost would fall flat at 5,500 RPM, with a BAMA tune it stays strong to 6,800 RPM and the shift points / speed are improved.

The only real answer might be "to each his / her own".

A guess on why the factory tune might be so conservative is reduced warranty claims. There is no difference in immediate "cost" to them at the factory.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
To make it my own. To have a car that will be better autocrossing than the GT PP, but also more usable as a daily driver simultaneously. One that makes me smile every time I drive it (it does!).

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
I modded my Mustang mainly to make up for the shortcomings from Ford. Suspension mods to rid the car of wheel hop, MGW for a precise shift, and lighter wheels and better tires because the PP wheels are anchors and Pirelli tires were a joke.

I did throw a Steeda CAI, tune and MBRP exhaust on for a little performance. But mainly just to wake the quiet ass thing up haha.

All in all, the car was a better performing car when I sold it and was a night and day difference compared to what I picked up from Ford.

jstump2490

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I do it because I like wrenching on my car, I like making it better than it was, I like putting my own touch on it and I like the feeling of accomplishment by doing something most people have no idea how to do. I have always modded things to make them my own.

Growing up I was really into paintball, so I took a $300 gun, modded the crap out of it with about $800 in parts and it could then keep up with and even beat $2000 guns. I could have bought one for $1300 and gotten something similar out of the box, but then 9 other people would have the same gun at the field and it wouldn't feel special to me. Plus, being in high school, that was how I afforded to have an awesome gun. I would not have been able to drop $1300 at once, but modding a $300 gun meant I could do it as I earned money and it made the project last about a year. Same goes with my cars. Sure, I could spend more money upfront, but A) I can't always afford to, B) It is the same generic thing anyone can buy and C) modding things over time gives me something to occupy my time and feels way better than buying it like that. Built not bought!!!

I did the same thing with my XBOX, then my mountain bike and when I could finally afford to, I started modding my cars and motorcycles. I have not owned a single vehicle I did not do at least SOMETHING to, most get quite an overhaul over time.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Why do we mod? To fix/improve problem areas, make it our own and for FUN. I always modify starting from it's weakest point. For my base GT, it's interior, exhaust and handling, in that order.

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Pure pleasure of taking a average car and turning it into a track warrior for some or drag monster for others. I just enjoy tinkering with my toys and improving them.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
In the immortal words of Ricky Bobby. "I wanna go Fast!"

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Because you don't buy a car with an aftermarket the size of the Mustang's and then not mod it. Mods make your car special and make it your own, whether it's not fast enough for you or doesn't look the way you want it to.