Sponsored

Magnuson vs Paxton

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What are the benefits (if any) of the Magnuson over the Paxton/Vortex units? It's my understanding that the Magnuson may deliver more lower RPM torque/hp over the Paxton type blowers. The reason I ask is this...... As a "daily" type driving car will the Paxton not perform as well since it needs more RPMs to develope its power? I mean if you are not going at WOT, will the Paxton still feel like it's adding hp and torque?
Sponsored

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
What are the benefits (if any) of the Magnuson over the Paxton/Vortex units? It's my understanding that the Magnuson may deliver more lower RPM torque/hp over the Paxton type blowers. The reason I ask is this...... As a "daily" type driving car will the Paxton not perform as well since it needs more RPMs to develope its power? I mean if you are not going at WOT, will the Paxton still feel like it's adding hp and torque?
Positive displacement blowers like a Maggie, Roush/VMP TVS or Whipple will make instant torque even at 2000 RPMs at wide open. Centrifugal blowers tend to have more linear torque gains where the higher you rev the more torque they make (to a point) but they do make less torque in lower RPMs vs a PD unless you run a very small pulley and a wastegate setup and even then a PD will typically still make more low end torque at the same boost levels. Look at a typical Whipple or TVS dyno the torque curve is a massive flat line from low RPMs to high RPMs.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
You will go faster with a paxton then the magnuson especially if you use beefcake's torque booster!

NavyChief122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It's easy. Do you want instant power? Do you want slower build up to more max power. When you drive will you spend more time at 4K and below Or 4k above? If you take a Maggie and a Paxton. Mod for mod the same minus the blowers. The Maggie will have more low end power with a little less high end since tvs are less efficient at high rpm. Paxton would have less low end power since they have to build up power but will have a more high end power since centrifugal are more efficient at high end. Both great products. I went with Maggie since it was way cheaper and I love instant POWA. Max PSI from the moment you plant the gas. It's a great feeling not for everyone.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
the mag is probably one of the least popular pds out there, along with the edelbrock

i'd lean towards one of our whipple, vmp, or roush kits if your going pd. centri the paxton and procharger are really nice.

we have some great specials on all the packages, feel free to bend my ear with anythign you need

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Oh man what a can of worms.. People who have never driven Centris with 650whp seem to think they're lifeless under 5k. There is certainly a difference in the torque curve but I assure you WOT you're going to go to jail in either car on the street.

S550SVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost mustang, 86 mercury capri,86 svo
I've installed both , and my "opinion " is if it's daily driven go centrifugal the air to air intercooler is better . The root or screw style blowers use a air to water intercooler set up . Once that coolant hits a certain temp you're stuck there ( doesn't cool down)

Now at the track where you could add ice or change it out , that's a different story .

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Even then plenty of Paxton cars in the 9s on here. More than Whipples in the 9s it seems.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ggradtech

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Oh man what a can of worms.. People who have never driven Centris with 650whp seem to think they're lifeless under 5k. There is certainly a difference in the torque curve but I assure you WOT you're going to go to jail in either car on the street.
The "lifeless under 5k" is kind of my question/concern I guess. I had a turbo Fox and it spooled up really fast, but there was that lag that all turbos have. Not that the centrifugal will have "lag", but I was hoping I wouldn't need to be at 5k or above to feel it's added power.

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium auto

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Depends on the endgame. Do you want instant power for a DD with not a ton of growth room and a lower cost? If so then the Maggie is a solid choice. Looking for growth, then Whipple or ProCharger sounds more up your alley. With that said, the price point is there with the Whipple, but you honestly get what you pay for.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
There' s no wait with a Paxton/ vortech set up. if you got the right gears 3:55's or lower your car be a rocket. When i had mine a had tremec magnum and 4:10s it was a beast outta the hole. People forget how quick these motors spin to 4000 rpms so all this talk about roots vs centrifcal is useless because when you race street or strip its the entire 1/4 mile not the 1st 60 ft that determines the winner most of the time!

OP
OP
Ggradtech

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There' s no wait with a Paxton/ vortech set up. if you got the right gears 3:55's or lower your car be a rocket. When i had mine a had tremec magnum and 4:10s it was a beast outta the hole. People forget how quick these motors spin to 4000 rpms so all this talk about roots vs centrifcal is useless because when you race street or strip its the entire 1/4 mile not the 1st 60 ft that determines the winner most of the time!

I do have the 3.55s actually. I'm not looking to drag race and I'm not looking to upgrade or need any growth potential. This will be as far as I go with the car. I'm just looking for a DD that has more power than stock. These cars are not slow, but certainly not fast either. Centris look slightly more attractive at the moment simply because they would be an easier install and maybe a little more "heat tolerant" for a desert dweller like myself. It's frigging HOT here 6 months out of the year.
Sponsored