Sponsored

Lund tune/build thread (2nd attempt)

veeefour

Troll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Nothing - Kooks sells it like that so you can fit it with stock cat back. My Remus cat-back is 3" all the way and Kooks tell you to use 3">2,5">3" adapters...
I know - it's stupid but this was for mock-up only. I came up with a scavenger type x-pipe idea.

It was also a temporary until I find the proper x-pipe - unfortunately no place for normal x-pipe as I need to retain the Remus resonator.
Eventually found one - I should have this done in a week or two along the quad tip mod and some other things to eliminate the vibes:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1725327
Sponsored

Last edited:

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
Sorted out my fuel issues by using another BP petrol station... Must have had a bad batch previously.

Sent a new log to Lund and they have said they are happy with the tune now and no revision is required. I have attached my final spark map below. What do you think [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] ? From other people's comments regarding Lund and the revision process it seems strange that they are not making any revision to my base tune?
Final 98 RON Spark Map.JPG

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Sorted out my fuel issues by using another BP petrol station... Must have had a bad batch previously.

Sent a new log to Lund and they have said they are happy with the tune now and no revision is required. I have attached my final spark map below. What do you think [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] ? From other people's comments regarding Lund and the revision process it seems strange that they are not making any revision to my base tune?
My guess is Australias higher temps and lower quality fuel seems like that is your max safe timing as even the knock sensor registers plus 1.

Fuel octane and fuel quality play a big role in spark and BP fuel is not on part with Shell a power, and lower IATs help also with spark and uk is a pretty chilly place. ;)

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
My guess is Australias higher temps and lower quality fuel seems like that is your max safe timing as even the knock sensor registers plus 1.

Fuel octane and fuel quality play a big role in spark and BP fuel is not on part with Shell a power, and lower IATs help also with spark and uk is a pretty chilly place. ;)
This log was done in the morning with IAT'S around 20 degrees Celsius. I have some work to do to get down my IAT'S as they sky-rocket in slow moving traffic. I've read your guide and will be making use of that.

Our Shell v-power (98 ron) is not as good (or at least not as consistent) as our BP. I am keen to try the flex fuel tune as I have good access to E85.

One question, what is your fuel economy like post tune? I have gone from around 13.0l/100km to 14.5l/100km with equivalent driving.

Unkle Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Total opposite over here mate, every tuner I've dealt with in the past has always said we get the most consistent results using BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power is next best but bad batches/inconsistent quality is way more common. I'm waiting to hear back from Lund if the Flex Fuel tune will help combat this issue along with having the bonus of easily going back and forth to e85.

For those of you going down the Lund path in Aus has anyone been getting before and after Dyno run's and what have the shops responses been? Talked to one shop about it and it has completely put me off asking any more as they were not interested and kept pushing their product at me instead.

Sponsored

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
Total opposite over here mate, every tuner I've dealt with in the past has always said we get the most consistent results using BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power is next best but bad batches/inconsistent quality is way more common. I'm waiting to hear back from Lund if the Flex Fuel tune will help combat this issue along with having the bonus of easily going back and forth to e85.

For those of you going down the Lund path in Aus has anyone been getting before and after Dyno run's and what have the shops responses been? Talked to one shop about it and it has completely put me off asking any more as they were not interested and kept pushing their product at me instead.
I know what you mean about the attitude of local tuning shops. Despite this I do want to go have an after dyno run done. I didn't get a before, but it isn't going to be any different to the dozens of other stock mustangs they have dyno'd. Will report back when I have some results.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3

Different regions, in the UK tuners swear by Tesco 99 and Shell Vpower. Some prefer one to the other but both have very high knock resistance over here.

On my test IAT's are typically around 10-15c due to cooler ambients of around 5-10c and on Vpower my car was making 29-31 degrees spark at WOT and the knock sensor was still registering -6 and building upto 0 by 8000rpm.

This was the max spark Lund allow on an email tune for safety but in theory in house tuned could of maybe made 32 degrees timing which is essentially E85 levels.

I am sure once Summer is here my spark will no doubt drop a little to 27-29 degrees spark as IAT does play a roll in it too.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Update:
The UPR strip mounts are finally out (replaced with street), engine is raised 1/4" (now sitting only 1/2" lower than stock) and I also ditched the Steeda Red diff insert bushes.

The difference in the engine mounts was obvious as soon as the engine kicked into life. After about a month of the strip ones, this is like heaven. The car isn't shaking and the exhaust even seems a tiny bit quieter. I suspect the engine vibrations were in pulse with the exhaust, therefore setting up a good foundation for drone. Resonant frequencies and all that stuff.

Removal of the diff bushings has improved the driveline "shunt" feelings in the car. I didn't notice any extra diff-whine with them in, it was just a subtle thud when engaging the clutch, particularly from a standstill. I suspect that someone with fewer mods to the IRS may not even notice the thuds. :shrug:

Headers now clear the steering colum with plenty of room to move, so datalogging will resume in full today. Hopefully we won't see any more false-knock activity. :paddle:

Other than all that, I'm very impressed with the tune so far. I've yet to have any issue with the car's performance, even in some of Milduras recent 46 degree weather.
NB The bureau of meteorology are NOTORIUS for understating our actual temps here. Several sources were recording 48-49 in the shade.:eyebulge:
IATs on those days were well into the 50's

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Update:
Did datalogs last night and sent them through.
Looks like my tune is pretty much finished at this point, however, I requested a ghost cam version of my current revision. Jon Lund is ADAMANT that the cats WILL clog up...
Give that an Aussie vendor is offering a "ghost cam tune" with the exact same cats that I'm runnning and offering a warranty, let's do this!
I should have video and opinions by the end of the weekend.
It's outside of their normal working hours now, so Jon's definitely going above and beyond on this one.

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Update:
Did datalogs last night and sent them through.
Looks like my tune is pretty much finished at this point, however, I requested a ghost cam version of my current revision. Jon Lund is ADAMANT that the cats WILL clog up...
Give that an Aussie vendor is offering a "ghost cam tune" with the exact same cats that I'm runnning and offering a warranty, let's do this!
I should have video and opinions by the end of the weekend.
It's outside of their normal working hours now, so Jon's definitely going above and beyond on this one.
Let me know how the drive-ability etc goes with the ghost cam tune.

Sponsored

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
Update on my tune:

I have just ordered the upgrade to the Flex Fuel Tune. Looking forward to seeing the difference E85 makes!

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ghost Cam Tune in effect:

Sounds tough as in the real world.
You DO need to drive around it a little bit, it won't be for everyone.
Put simply, at anything under approx 1500rpm, the car will get quite "lurchy"
I'm finding that giving it a little blip before trying to take off from a standing start will help quite a bit, so pretty much like driving a car with ACTUAL lumpy cams.
No idea how it would drive in an auto :shrug:

Last edited:

Bradek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT
Ghost Cam Tune in effect:

Sounds tough as in the real world.
You DO need to drive around it a little bit, it won't be for everyone.
Put simply, at anything under approx 1500rpm, the car will get quite "lurchy"
I'm finding that giving it a little blip before trying to take off from a standing start will help quite a bit, so pretty much like driving a car with ACTUAL lumpy cams.
No idea how it would drive in an auto :shrug:
Do you notice any difference in sound under standard acceleration or hard?

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Do you notice any difference in sound under standard acceleration or hard?
Not that I've noticed. Seems as though the cam timing pulls back to normal fairly quickly. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Today I loaded in Lunds Flex Fuel tune.
Had about 20litres of BP98 still in the tank, splashed 40 litres of e85 on top.
It take about 10 minutes for the car to work out the alcohol percentage (65 in this case).
Did a quick log and compared it to a previous log on 98.
Grabbed an extra 7 degrees of ignition timing in the mid range and a little less than that toward the top.
Yes, I'm absolutely impressed with it.
Next log will include Airaid CAI, Velossa Tech Big Mouth and full 85% ethanol. Good times ahead.
Calculations suggest it is now making about 300rwkw. I'll be sure to post the difference (if any?) with the new mods.
IMG_1860.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: