PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
Took delivery yesterday - love the car.

But, after 22 years of driving, shifting between 1-2-3, the MT-82 made me feel like I do not know how to drive whatsoever. Could not get a consistent smooth shift.

Then there were the noises - Like a cracking sound as if something is lose in there. Sometime, on first gear, it will also make a low "hum" as if the tranny has an engine or something

Does that all sound familiar?
Erez,
Have you installed the Steeda clutch spring? This makes a big difference.
Sponsored

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Rogue 351 powered, '17 Ruby GT, '99 XH V8-S ute, '69 Mercury Cougar XR7 S-code, '96 XH Ex-pork van
Vehicle Showcase
Well mine is getting worse. It sounds like I'm driving an old mini it's that noisy. Nearly done 4K now and I can now hear gear/bearing noise in 6th gear!? over the sound of the stereo!? Some guy driving next to me asked me if it was blown!?!

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
I don't understand the complaints about the gearbox... With the exception of people with a faulty gearbox, if you are having issues selecting gears it is you, not the car. I have tracked my mustang and drive it daily. Never missed a gear change other then the occasional one on the street because I was shifting lazily or similar (completely my fault).

As for the clutch spring, good news! The clutch feel was improved with the MY17. I have driven both back to back and the MY17 has a much firmer clutch with more pedal feedback. Makes the car much easier to drive. No need for a clutch spring change anymore.

OP
OP
Erez

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
Have you installed the Steeda clutch spring? This makes a big difference.
Not yet, she is going to MMS on Friday and that will be fitted then

Well mine is getting worse
Sounds pretty horrible, what's Ford Australia saying?

I don't understand the complaints about the gearbox...
I guess you have to get a noisy one to understand it, not all of us are that lucky. I have not missed a shift, and was very gentle on it, but 1-2-3 is tricky (Unless, of course I really can't drive) Also, it is making all sort of noises as if it has a life of its own.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if these kind of noises are the ones everybody are talking about, and need to think about Spring/Fluids/Shifter

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand the complaints about the gearbox... With the exception of people with a faulty gearbox, if you are having issues selecting gears it is you, not the car. I have tracked my mustang and drive it daily. Never missed a gear change other then the occasional one on the street because I was shifting lazily or similar (completely my fault).

As for the clutch spring, good news! The clutch feel was improved with the MY17. I have driven both back to back and the MY17 has a much firmer clutch with more pedal feedback. Makes the car much easier to drive. No need for a clutch spring change anymore.
Totally agree with Josh's sentiments re: pedal pressure change with MY.
Now that I've used my car on the skid pan, the only time I've had trouble with the box is trying to go from second to first in a REAL hurry at high rpm (or would be once first is selected). Even then, using first gear as a substitute hand brake is probably well outside of Fords intended usage. :doh:

Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I don't understand the complaints about the gearbox... With the exception of people with a faulty gearbox, if you are having issues selecting gears it is you, not the car
I don't understand why people go on the offensive with comments like this. Some people have wonky glove boxes, some don't. Some people have driveline shunt, some don't. Automatic "manhole" noise, off center rear axle, wheel hop, excessive blow by, the list goes on. Is it that hard to understand that not all gearboxes are built/installed exactly the same?

Minimal experience in your own car and a couple others doesn't negate the fact that others are experiencing something different. I drove phils car the other day and it shifts so much smoother than mine ever has. Is your car 100% perfect, because if not then the issue must be with you, right?

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
I've driven about 6 different mustangs now all manual. The gear boxes are all completely different, some people definitely don't need to change a shifter but other people do, it's just luck of the draw.

As for pedal pressure [MENTION=16058]Yeah Nah[/MENTION] drove mine and thought I had changed my clutch. That's how heavy my is from factory, his is like butter in comparison, both hand stock clutch springs.

But then again mine is one of the few 2015 Mustangs, all you later adopters get the benefits :lol:

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Changing shifter doesn't necessarily make it all go away either. Mines still quite notchy, although the shift action is 1000x better. Changing fluid will be next to see if that makes it smoother

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Changing shifter doesn't necessarily make it all go away either. Mines still quite notchy, although the shift action is 1000x better. Changing fluid will be next to see if that makes it smoother
TR60 swap would also improve things lol.

It seems like we are in a similar boat with the issues

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Took delivery yesterday - love the car.

But, after 22 years of driving, shifting between 1-2-3, the MT-82 made me feel like I do not know how to drive whatsoever. Could not get a consistent smooth shift.

Then there were the noises - Like a cracking sound as if something is lose in there. Sometime, on first gear, it will also make a low "hum" as if the tranny has an engine or something

Does that all sound familiar?
when in doubt, go back to dealership and test drive a new car, and compare.

Sponsored

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
I don't understand why people go on the offensive with comments like this. Some people have wonky glove boxes, some don't. Some people have driveline shunt, some don't. Automatic "manhole" noise, off center rear axle, wheel hop, excessive blow by, the list goes on. Is it that hard to understand that not all gearboxes are built/installed exactly the same?

Minimal experience in your own car and a couple others doesn't negate the fact that others are experiencing something different. I drove phils car the other day and it shifts so much smoother than mine ever has. Is your car 100% perfect, because if not then the issue must be with you, right?
My comments were not intended to offend. It just seems like there are a lot of people jumping on the "the gearbox is shit" bandwagon. This then influences new buyers to the point that people are purchasing new shifters before even having their car or driving a manual GT. Imo it is one of the best manual gearboxes I have driven.

I acknowledge the fact that there will be some faulty gearboxes and shifters out there, but I would be surprised to see significant variation between the majority of gearboxes. So your comments Aus-mustanggt surprise me.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
My comments were not intended to offend. It just seems like there are a lot of people jumping on the "the gearbox is shit" bandwagon. This then influences new buyers to the point that people are purchasing new shifters before even having their car or driving a manual GT. Imo it is one of the best manual gearboxes I have driven.

I acknowledge the fact that there will be some faulty gearboxes and shifters out there, but I would be surprised to see significant variation between the majority of gearboxes. So your comments Aus-mustanggt surprise me.
I get that, but have a drive of someone's car that has an aftermarket shifter and you'll get what we're talking about. The stock shifter just feels so flimsy and weak in comparison, "floppy" is the word I would use - and I'm not just saying that because I ordered the shifter before I got the car.

My issues seem to be more gearbox related, so I can understand if you have no issues the stock shifter might seem ok, but seriously have a feel for yourself if you can because the action is just so much more precise.

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM

Next meet you come to come and find me, I'll show you what mine is like. The stock shifter is shit because quite frankly it's made incorrectly. The reason why the lock outs happen is due to the flex which is cause by heavy power then dropping it to change. The mgw moves with the transmission.

Next meet I'll bring the stock shifter and you can see exactly why it's a piece of shit. Unfortunately I wasn't one of the lucky ones to get a shifter perfect from factory. I'm very pleased with the mgw, the build quality is on another level.

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
when in doubt, go back to dealership and test drive a new car, and compare.
Unfortunately because of the wait time in Australia there aren't new cars sitting on lots for us to test drive! One of the many frustrations of buying this car overseas.