daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Changing the fluid helps A LOT. Obviously an aftermarket shifter does, too. I love my Steeda Tri-Ax.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Erez

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
Thanks for the replies guys, though it made me even more worried and after some more research I found this:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11569&highlight=transmission+thud&page=75

Looks like the MT82 was improved during the years, but still having issues.

Pretty disappointing I was really looking for a manual - even bought a shift knob, 6 months before the car is here haha but the last thing I want is the potential of having issues with the tranny.

Called my dealer to see if we can change the order to Auto and he advised I will probably lose my place in the que :doh:

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I wouldn't worry too much [MENTION=18627]Erez[/MENTION], chances seem to be in your favour to get a good one. If not, you can always get a new shifter like some of us have. Besides, there's always the potential for issues with the 6R80

SteamPlane

Car, beer & whisky nerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White GT Convertible
Pretty disappointing I was really looking for a manual - even bought a shift knob, 6 months before the car is here haha but the last thing I want is the potential of having issues with the tranny.
Perhaps you are overthinking it? The value of these forums is that they can alert you to potential problems. However you need to remember that these forums are also over represented with problems.

Few people bother posting a message like:
"Drove my car to work today and then home again. Just like every other day this year, there was no problem"

Be aware of the potential problems, but don't mistake the potential for certainty. That way leads to sadness and constant dissatisfaction.

My $0.02 worth.

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
Mine makes what almost sounds like a very faint turbo bov when shifting 1-2 and 2-3 when the stereo is turned off and windows up and no other noises intruding into the cabin.

Very noisy box, even compared to my previous 86, which I thought was a noisy box.

Still, i'm 'monitoring' it and have 3 years, plus extended warranty (if I chose to do so) to break it and have it replaced haha

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
you take some risk with the manual transmission. They are easier to abuse, particularly with the V8. If the clutch fails, or synchronizers wear, Ford may resist repairing those under warranty. That said, I like the MT82. So far, so good.

dave-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT, '16 SS Ute, Turbo 86
Don't have an issue with mine at all compared to other cars I've had or driven. It's not silent but the whole car is pretty agricultural? Guess I didn't have super high expectations for this car and as a weekend cruiser stuff others have been critical of just don't bother me at all?

Had BAII and FG XR6T manuals which were fucking horrible. The 6 speed in my 86 was great but is now not very co-operative after 50k of abuse.

rotisserie_gold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Roush Stage 3
Thanks for the replies guys, though it made me even more worried and after some more research I found this:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11569&highlight=transmission+thud&page=75

Looks like the MT82 was improved during the years, but still having issues.

Called my dealer to see if we can change the order to Auto and he advised I will probably lose my place in the que :doh:
As I mentioned in my earlier reply, a bracket and/or short throw of your choice will resolve any slop that you might feel in the shifter. I have been driving on the S197 flavor since 13', and I have never had any 'problems' with them in any of my Mustangs. Mostly just minor annoyances that result in the occasional missed gear during aggressive shifting into 3rd, or something of the like. As someone that has lived with the transmission for several years I can honestly advise that it should not in any way deter you from ordering the car with the M6 unless for some other reason you want the A6. If you want the auto just because you want an auto then get the auto, but don't let a few of the negative accounts out there deter you away from it. It's fine. It's not the most precise manual out there, but it's also quite far from a train wreck, and perfectly livable in everyday driving. We have two MT-82 S197s that we DD, and they're fine. One has a barton bracket only, and the other has a full Barton bracket/shorty combo. Perfectly fun and reliable. Enjoy your new ride! :ford:

RubyVert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Maggie the GT...
@OP - Mate, you've only just ordered the car - you're doing yourself a disservice but picking holes in it before you drive it.
Most people here will tell you that the car is quite different in the flesh and driving from what they expected.
Don't be swayed by others negative comments/opinions - it's their views not yours.
Wait until it arrives and make your own judgement on things.
You might surprise yourself - I did :thumbsup:

Cheers

J

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"

Sponsored

disco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Cmon guys lol...if only our elders and forefathers who drove the cars of yesteryear would read this stuff... Old manuals usually had no synchro on first, most had column shifts and were usually commercial application gearboxes.

The Mustang is no Honda, it's a muscle car! Just own that bitch on the shift and enjoy the 'drive' lol!!

Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
Erez

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
Thanks Guys, your comments helped me get over the panic attack...
I'm staying with the MT and see how I go, only 4 more months to wait!

Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback PP Manual
Sounds like there's a bit of variation from one to the next. I've never had any of what you're talking about... :shrug:
agree the manual is flawless in mine.

OP
OP
Erez

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
Took delivery yesterday - love the car.

But, after 22 years of driving, shifting between 1-2-3, the MT-82 made me feel like I do not know how to drive whatsoever. Could not get a consistent smooth shift.

Then there were the noises - Like a cracking sound as if something is lose in there. Sometime, on first gear, it will also make a low "hum" as if the tranny has an engine or something

Does that all sound familiar?

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Took delivery yesterday - love the car.

But, after 22 years of driving, shifting between 1-2-3, the MT-82 made me feel like I do not know how to drive whatsoever. Could not get a consistent smooth shift.

Then there were the noises - Like a cracking sound as if something is lose in there. Sometime, on first gear, it will also make a low "hum" as if the tranny has an engine or something

Does that all sound familiar?
Unfortunately so, it does take some getting used to but after changing to the mgw I have never looked back
Sponsored