How to cut throttle if fuel pressure drops

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I have been thinking about trying to put a hobbs switch on my car and tie it into the throttle wire or something similar to kill power if fuel pressure drops. Has anyone done something similar to this? I think it could save a motor if something in fuel system fails. I think the hobbs switch below could be used and set between 25 and 60lbs.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nex-15718
Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
There are BAPs like JMS that you can run boost reference activation with a Hobbs switch. Someone I know highly recommended me to do it this way, but shop did it the ol' fashion way.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
I have been thinking about trying to put a hobbs switch on my car and tie it into the throttle wire or something similar to kill power if fuel pressure drops. Has anyone done something similar to this? I think it could save a motor if something in fuel system fails. I think the hobbs switch below could be used and set between 25 and 60lbs.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nex-15718
I had a fuel pressure cut to my last cars ECU and it saved my motor.

Had a bad tank of fuel clog the filters, and well.... when the pressure dropped 15psi below what it should, it put the ECU into limp mode. I was sooooo happy that I had done that, or I would have been buying a new set of pistons. (30psi of boost, doesn't mess around when fuel pressure drops)

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I had a fuel pressure cut to my last cars ECU and it saved my motor.

Had a bad tank of fuel clog the filters, and well.... when the pressure dropped 15psi below what it should, it put the ECU into limp mode. I was sooooo happy that I had done that, or I would have been buying a new set of pistons. (30psi of boost, doesn't mess around when fuel pressure drops)
How did you set it up? I was thinking about putting a two step on my car wired to the hobbs switch and set the two step at 1,000 rpm if hobbs switch trips.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Sorry for the slightly-off topic post, but personally I run a fuel pressure gauge with a low warning buzzer. If it drops below 40psi it goes off and I can get off the throttle. May be a cheaper/simpler option so I figured I'd suggest it.

Now if that's as good of a failsafe, probably not, since it relies on your reaction time as well.

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Sorry for the slightly-off topic post, but personally I run a fuel pressure gauge with a low warning buzzer. If it drops below 40psi it goes off and I can get off the throttle. May be a cheaper/simpler option so I figured I'd suggest it.

Now if that's as good of a failsafe, probably not, since it relies on your reaction time as well.
That sounds like an option too.
Sponsored