Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

TheRican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has Wheels
I believe the whiteline insert addresses this issue...
Sponsored

PandaMike5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT Premium A10
Definitely thought I was the only one experiencing this but glad to see that is not the case. I noticed it the 2nd day after I took the car home from the dealership. It's usually just in the lower gear range and when I'm casually driving around. 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd tend to produce the "thud" noise that you have explained.

OP
OP
Tele5.0

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
Thats right PandaMike casual driving and mainly the lower gears..even going into 1st from a stop...It is a dull but solid "thud" or "bump" from underneath the car somewhere in the drive train...I believe it is slack somewhere in the drivetrain. I also noticed that it does NOT do this when downshifting...only when first engaging the gears AND once it makes the thud, if the car does not move, it does NOT do it again. Only after the car has moved/drivetrain moved will it "thud" again when just meshing into gear. Very strange.

PandaMike5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT Premium A10
Thats right PandaMike casual driving and mainly the lower gears..even going into 1st from a stop...It is a dull but solid "thud" or "bump" from underneath the car somewhere in the drive train...I believe it is slack somewhere in the drivetrain. I also noticed that it does NOT do this when downshifting...only when first engaging the gears AND once it makes the thud, if the car does not move, it does NOT do it again. Only after the car has moved/drivetrain moved will it "thud" again when just meshing into gear. Very strange.
Mine is doing the exact same thing. It scares me sometimes at stoplights if I have it in neutral and then go into first and hear the noise.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I test drove another 2015 GT with the PP this afternoon. Guess what? It was making the same thud noise in the same spots as mine. I'm leaning toward it being the nature of the beast on these, though that is not a good thing. My previous Mustangs definitely didn't do it. Just thought I'd report in that at least one more has the sound.

Sponsored

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTP PP in CO / 08 CTS / 00 C-SVT
Drove a GT PP the other day and it also did it. It was more of a feeling in the car/drivetrain but nothing that I could really hear.

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Are these Getrang supplied trannys? Also, it doesn't sound by everyone's description like a synchro issue...sounds more like a clutch cable/linkage/clutchplate adjustment issue. Please keep us posted (any thoughts to changing gearbox/gearcase oil?)

MustangTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange
Mine does it, as well.

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
Getrag builds gearboxes for a variety of commercial applications and has a partnership with Ford in Cologne Germany where some gearboxes are manufactured for the Focus, Fiesta, and other Ford Europe models. However, Getrag also has a large plant in China where they make gearboxes for all sorts of automotive and commercial products. Does anyone know where these gearboxes are manufactured?

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Getrag builds gearboxes for a variety of commercial applications and has a partnership with Ford in Cologne Germany where some gearboxes are manufactured for the Focus, Fiesta, and other Ford Europe models. However, Getrag also has a large plant in China where they make gearboxes for all sorts of automotive and commercial products. Does anyone know where these gearboxes are manufactured?
Pretty sure they are Chinese.

Sponsored

carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have it as well. Picked up my GT PP Monday night and it was fine for the 90 miles home, but has been doing it all of today.

Hope there is a fix or an easy answer. I was on cloud nine over everything else about this car but this is putting a little damper on things.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
They are made in China, according to the window sticker. I'm with carguy, really puts a damper on my enthusiasm for the car everytime I shift. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the tranny the more I play with it. I'd advise everyone to take it in to get documented. The more calls to the ford technical services hotline from your dealer, the more likely something may be done about it eventually. Make sure they call it in for advice.

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
They are made in China, according to the window sticker. I'm with carguy, really puts a damper on my enthusiasm for the car everytime I shift. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the tranny the more I play with it. I'd advise everyone to take it in to get documented. The more calls to the ford technical services hotline from your dealer, the more likely something may be done about it eventually. Make sure they call it in for advice.
Any thoughts to switching to a different aftermarket gear lube? Although not entirely out of the ordinary of related, I'm just wondering if these Getrag gearboxes came with a break in lube that needs to be drained and serviced with a heavier duty fluid. Sorry to be biased but I'm always a bit hesitant to accept at face value that proper Q C from Chinese made products has been undertaken :headbonk:

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Any thoughts to switching to a different aftermarket gear lube? Although not entirely out of the ordinary of related, I'm just wondering if these Getrag gearboxes came with a break in lube that needs to be drained and serviced with a heavier duty fluid. Sorry to be biased but I'm always a bit hesitant to accept at face value that proper Q C from Chinese made products has been undertaken :headbonk:
Check with your dealer about meeting the same specifications of the fluid the car ships with. The fluid is a lifetime fill, no draining should ever be needed for the life of the car, in theory. That being said, there will be alternatives but you don't want the dealer/Ford denying a warranty claim because you used a fluid that doesn't meet the specifications of the current fill - this includes viscosity.

carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Someone needs to try that Whiteline bushing insert stat! Hopefully that is all that's needed. Does anyone know if it cured the same issue some of the s197 had?
Sponsored