Sponsored

Review: Shaftmasters Direct Bolt-in Aluminum Driveshaft P/N FMS1517GTM35D

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Well shit that's not good.
its because my angle on the tranny was already "OK" or a bit low. I would check yours before shimming is all. I did not have a good angle gauge at the time but it came in a few days ago. if anything in order to fix some of the binding I may go up a tad with the tranny tailshaft (see you lowered the engine same thing)
Sponsored

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
its because my angle on the tranny was already "OK" or a bit low. I would check yours before shimming is all. I did not have a good angle gauge at the time but it came in a few days ago. if anything in order to fix some of the binding I may go up a tad with the tranny tailshaft (see you lowered the engine same thing)
That's a good idea. I'll try and check mine this weekend. Mine seems better now honestly with the mounts lowered. I noticed the car Coasts a lot better now than ever before. That could also just be in my head idk

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I wonder if this is my issue with my high speed vibration.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Questions:

1) The picture posted comparing the stock S550 DS against the new Shaftmasters direct bolt-in unit - is that an optical illusion making it look like the Shaftmasters DS is shorter in length??

2) What brand or type of angle finder is everyone using??

Sponsored

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Use your iPhone as an angle finder. TREMEC makes a free app. Works fine.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I got an app but whats nice about the angle gauge is it has a magnetic base so it stays in place and its a lot smaller than my phone

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello gentlemen,
Does anyone have a link to thread or website or video that perhaps shows the step-by-step for shimming the trans?

Thanks

Sponsored
OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I don't know of a video but you just get metal shims from the auto parts store and place them under the bracket where the bolt holes are.

bandit67

Mustang Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2007 SPJ 302, 2019 Ranger
Nice writeup wildcatgoal. Been wanting to get a driveshaft but have been waiting for a direct bolt in that everyone is happy with. Seems the one piece driveshaft has been a little tough for these companies to get dialed in on the S550.

I have a DSS one piece aluminum on my 2007, and it really made a big difference in the overall feel of the car, especially on the road course. Funny, as the DSS seemed to have a lot less issues than Shaftmasters on the S197, but DSS seems to have more issues on the S550 than the S197, hence my reluctance to pull the trigger on a ds for this car, but I can't wait to get one.

A lighter weight one piece driveshaft is a must on a performance car, in my opinion.

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
Questions:

1) The picture posted comparing the stock S550 DS against the new Shaftmasters direct bolt-in unit - is that an optical illusion making it look like the Shaftmasters DS is shorter in length??

2) What brand or type of angle finder is everyone using??
The shaftmasters takes the shortest line to the pumpkin, the two piece has to go over then down also slip yoke.

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Installed a brand new shaftmasters DS last weekend - it's a work of art for sure. Welds and workmanship are awesome. The updated shaft does include all hardware, a tube of loctite and instructions, including torque specs. Although they include a 3/8 10mm 12-pt socket, I don't know how you could use it - there's just not enough room on those bolts, so we ended up using a small 10mm box end wrench.

Stock driveshaft was 34lbs, shaftmasters weighed in at a svelte 19lb. Unfortunately the shaft does have a vibration (not severe but noticable) between 50 and 62 or so, which then mostly gets better until about 95 or so. Will be sending it back. The stock driveshaft was/is glass smooth. :frusty:

BTW, here's side by side with the stocker (500 miles and no rain makes the stock unit look kinda nice, eh?) Favorite part about the stock shaft is the sticker that says to throw it away if it's dropped.
DSCN2135.JPG
DSCN2133.JPG