Sponsored

Anyone else like the stock exhaust?

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I just went with the Borla Touring cat-back (not the Ford Racing by Borla Touring, the actualy Borla branded exhaust with their proprietary center resonator.)

I like it a lot! With the stock exhaust I drove around with the rear seats folded flat all the time just to let a bit more of the exhaust note in. Now I leave them up and it's a bit louder than it was stock with the seats flat, but not obnoxious like most aftermarket cat-backs.

Also, I have a PMAS intake and it doesn't drown out the induction noise which I love to hear as well.

I basically only listen to my radio if the cruise control is on. So that means long boring interstates and straight highways. 55-75 in 6th gear is pretty quiet inside with this setup, don't have to turn the radio up too loud.
Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I had read and seen that the stock exhaust with an H pipe sounded about the same as the S197 5.0, which sounded pretty good to me. I didnt have a lot of fun money at the time so I was looking at ordering an H pipe for 175 bucks. Just on a whim I looked at craigslist and found a used MBRP Street for 400. That was a very lucky find because I live in a small area. I love the sound of it. If I had only got the H pipe I probably would still have it that way.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Have stock exhaust with FRPP X-Pipe in place of the resonator. Stock system was too mild for me but I didn't want something obnoxiously loud and the resonator delete, X-Pipe is just right.....in my opinion.
I've got one sitting in the corner waiting to be installed, scored one cheap on eBay.

I have H-piped duals on an older car but wanted a different sound on the '15 (not that a 5.0 sounds anything like a pushrod engine with headers) and just a bump from stock in terms of noise, which the X should provide based on the sound clips I've heard...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've got one sitting in the corner waiting to be installed, scored one cheap on eBay.

I have H-piped duals on an older car but wanted a different sound on the '15 (not that a 5.0 sounds anything like a pushrod engine with headers) and just a bump from stock in terms of noise, which the X should provide based on the sound clips I've heard...
It does provide a nice little bump in volume, but be prepared for some nasty raspy and tinny sounds...

Our stock mufflers are baffled to hell and do not make a nice sound (except at part throttle) without that resonator.

See below:
0.jpg

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I like the sound, just no quite loud enough.

I have been debating between an X or an H pipe. But from what I have read, X pipe is raspier. And H pipe gives a bit more volume without changing the exhaust note..:shrug:

Anyone that can confirm or deny what I have stated, please chime in..:thumbsup:
H-Pipe is deeper.
I added an MRT h-pipe. It is slightly louder than stock.

I found it wasn't enough and added a BBK Varitune, which in conjunction with the H-pipe, and set to fully open, has some drone between 1700-2000, but sounds amazing opened up.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It does provide a nice little bump in volume, but be prepared for some nasty raspy and tinny sounds...

Our stock mufflers are baffled to hell and do not make a nice sound (except at part throttle) without that resonator.

See below:
Yeah, I know about the rasp, I think I was listening to your videos in your build thread before I pulled the trigger on one.

Based on those clips, and most others, the X seems to give sort of a more exotic sound. Hope I'm hearing right...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I know about the rasp, I think I was listening to your videos in your build thread before I pulled the trigger on one.

Based on those clips, and most others, the X seems to give sort of a more exotic sound. Hope I'm hearing right...
It is a nice sound at throttle below 3/4. I got tired of that particular rasp though. There's different kinds of rasp. There's the tinny, pellets on metal kind the stock mufflers and I hear the MBRP Street makes, and then there's the deeper, "tuned" kind that you hear on the Borla, FRPP/Borla and Corsa systems.

Supposedly the stock mufflers sound better with an H. Going with a decent axleback is certainly more expensive, but you get a much better tone with about the same volume if you go with any of the milder offerings. They also look better (4-4.5" tips REALLY change the look, a lot more noticeable in person).

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
With an H pipe it sounds good all the time with the stock mufflers. Maybe an x sounds bad with them, but I haven't heard an x pipe with the stock mufflers in person that I know of.

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Agreed. I have an H and the OEM mufflers and it sounds just like stock except about 10-15% louder.

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

reek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have the Corsa catback sport version of their exhaust. Always been a corsa fan on all of my other vehicles. well worth the $$$. The sport gives just enough growl for me to enjoy in the cabin without being obnoxious and loud aka 'look at me' sound outside. plugged the sound tube and it sounds perfect inside and only minimal sound increase outside. only time it barks otherwise is on cold start up but it quickly settles into a quiet rumble.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Bought a Corsa Sport with black tips and my order hasn't hit COTUS yet. Does that answer your question? :)

Also have plans for catted ARH long tube headers. Just not right away.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You are.

An 'X' does a better job of sharing flows, which kills off the low frequency back-and-forth choppy rumble of H-piped and straight dual-exhausted crossplane V8 engines in exchange for slightly less overall flow resistance through the mufflers and downstream piping.

Plotted, the X and H look something like this ↓↓↓ where the big tall peaks are the 'rumble' of an H or straight duals and the smoother ripple trace is the 'X'. An 'X' may sound "more exotic" because it's closer to the sounds that flat-crank V8's traditionally made and what high-revving 6 and 12 cylinder engines make. The GT350 would also sound like that with 4 into 1 headers or if Ford had used the proper 0-180-180-0 crankshaft configuration and simplified the exhaust headers.

picture.jpg

Norm

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Since my car is only 2 weeks old I am going with only the resonator delete as soon as I get some mod money saved up. I'm still on the fence on which mid pipe but leaning H. Interesting info Norm, food for thought and making it tougher to choose.
Sponsored