Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
2018 Mustang Sci-Fi Engine Cover

Add some glow lights and it could look like War of the Worlds - Just put the air intake on the top. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good going Ford :thumbsup:

If it ain't broke don't fix it :mad:
wotw.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
Thanks [MENTION=15473]65Terdlingua[/MENTION] for sending this pic of the engine bay straight on. Looks way close to the strut bar I wonder how easy it is to remove?
Does that airbox look any different to the current one ??

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Does that airbox look any different to the current one ??
It looks different. The rubber accordion joint is a little shorter, and there's not "resonator" pod at the front of the airbox.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
It's the "you might as well leave the hood closed" engine cover, "nothing to see here!".:crazy: :doh: :shrug::rant::barf::thumbdown: :hitcomputer::faint::frusty:

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Regarding the engine cover. Do we feel this is close enough to production time where no changes could be made to a piece like that? It just doesn't seem that aesthetically pleasing for the Mustang. Ford always seems to have the "better" looking engines vs GM.

I got on a local dealers order list for my 2018 GT. Actually #1 and put my deposit down. Now just have to decide what color to go with when the order banks open. Very excited to track this car just like I did my 2015 GTPP.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Engine cover serves a purpose... surprised nobody noticed the two holes in the hood, or wonder what they do.

BradleyMac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Lincoln MKC & 2010 F150
What two holes in the hood are you referring to?

The engine cover isn't the end of the world, however suggest that they add a few pipe like bumps/grooves etc. to make it a little more macho as opposed to the relatively smooth space ship effect it currently has. Maybe it's not too late in the process to change the design a little. :doh:

Although a rather tight fit, it looks like it has slight cut outs/narrows under the cross brace to allow for engine torque/movement.

Not sure about the airflow comment to the new vents, given that the new vents are quite far forward relative to the front edge of the engine cover?

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The new engine cover looks to have big open lots in the back center area, you can see some intake manifold runners if you look hard in the photo.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Considering the move to DI which tends to make much more noise than PI the cover is likely designed that way to limit audible noise both inside and outside the car. Function over form is likely here. Also entirely possible thats not the final design but if it needs to be that wide to cover the DI components then its not likely to see much change if any.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Thanks [MENTION=15473]65Terdlingua[/MENTION] for sending this pic of the engine bay straight on. Looks way close to the strut bar I wonder how easy it is to remove?
I guess I one of the few that hate these covers. Removing mine was the first engine bay mod I made on the current one. Aside from athletics do they serve any other purpose? Does it some way help with airflow under the hood? I would also assume that maybe there is a new intake manifold?

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
More likely, it'll be lucky if it doesn't hurt airflow under the hood. Noise reduction and maybe rain/water protection seem to be the only positive attributes about it.

I'm disregarding the good/bad appearance issue entirely. Unless you need to keep heat away from something above it they all look unnecessary.

Norm

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Considering the move to DI which tends to make much more noise than PI the cover is likely designed that way to limit audible noise both inside and outside the car. ...
^THIS.
I'm almost positive that you nailed it here. The engine covers, in addition to hiding the mass of wires and tubes that dominate modern engine bays, are also designed for noise-suppression, as I understand it. The injectors on direct-injected motors click in a very unpleasant way which would explain a more elaborate cover.

IMO, this is one more reason to make sure you have at least one carbureted V8 in your life...so you can remember how they're "supposed to" sound. :D

I guess I one of the few that hate these covers. Removing mine was the first engine bay mod I made on the current one. Aside from athletics do they serve any other purpose? Does it some way help with airflow under the hood? I would also assume that maybe there is a new intake manifold?
It's an easy 3-5lbs to shave off of the nose of the car. I'm with you on this one 100%.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Add some glow lights and it could look like War of the Worlds - Just put the air intake on the top. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good going Ford :thumbsup:

If it ain't broke don't fix it :mad:
Snorkel! On the Airflow, they could be using exit air coming from the radiator, like the 350, which is meant for Aero purposes. So, could use the Cover's rounded leading edge to smooth the exit airflow.

Also, upon further review, it does look like they are using the lowered 350 Fuse Box and probably the 350 ECM mount that it slides into the top of.
IMG_8619.jpg
Sponsored