Sponsored

Can I hurt this drivetrain?

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
2016 V6 manual.
Its not my daily driver so I like to have fun with it on the weekends. It does have PP wheels with 275 Firestone Firehawks. So it does have some tire under it. But if its the same drivetrain as in the GT (I know the ratios are different) then I should never be able to hurt it with 300 horse 280 ft lbs.......right?
Lets see what the masses have to say.
Sponsored

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Depends.

Transmission gear ratio effects torque rating. So "IF" GT transmission is rated for 400 lb/ft then V6 version would be rated at around 345. ("IF" 450 then around 388). Plus, most people get away with running higher that "rated" torque.

But like you said, probably do have a larger margin of safety compared to GT.

everything can be hurt.

Probably burn-up a clutch from driving crazy or something. Why test your luck?

OP
OP
revtime

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I don't abuse it but its not a camry either.
My 94 Z28 went through 2 transmissions and 3 rear ends before I got fed up and had Carl Rossler build me a TH400 and Strange a 12 bolt. That car was only a full bolt on LT1 running about 330 horse.
Its nice that Ford put the same stuff from the GT in the V6 and Ecoboost as far as drivetrain. I can have fun with it without worrying about it too much.
Clutch is a wear item and I can live with that. Still it should be ok for the occasional highway on ramp blast.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
As long as your not trying a no lift shift at the drag strip. Or a 5000rpm clutch drop launch on slicks. The drive train should lead a long happy life.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It will be fine.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
I don't abuse it but its not a camry either.
My 94 Z28 went through 2 transmissions and 3 rear ends before I got fed up and had Carl Rossler build me a TH400 and Strange a 12 bolt. That car was only a full bolt on LT1 running about 330 horse.
Its nice that Ford put the same stuff from the GT in the V6 and Ecoboost as far as drivetrain. I can have fun with it without worrying about it too much.
Clutch is a wear item and I can live with that. Still it should be ok for the occasional highway on ramp blast.
To be fair, the rear end that GM used in that car was a 7.6", nearly dead-nuts same size differential that Ford used in I4 & V6 Mustangs in that same time frame. It was undersized for the LT1 in stock form, and they never upsized it until the 5th gen car came along.
Sponsored