Sponsored

For those of you with air suspension

Squints2See

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
If any of you guys are using the four-gallon specialty suspension tank that is popular with our vehicles, I thought it was supposed to fit in the spare wheel well and still allow the trunk Matt to go down over top. Are you guys not using the bottom brackets? Or how are you all installing that and getting it to not stick out past the height of the wheel well? Any pictures would be appreciated
Sponsored

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
You have to be careful when ordering a specialty suspension tank due to how they are machined since it is one piece of aluminum and how they are labeled.

A 5-gallon is actually 3.5-gallons internally. When I ordered my tank through a vendor. I wanted the one that fits in the spare tire well. The one I got is too big to fit in the spare tire well. I think the mix-up was one was referring to the overall tank size and the other was based on the internal size. It actually worked out better for me in the long run, though.

OP
OP

Squints2See

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
I am aware of that inconsistencies in their advertised volume. The one I purchased is advertised as a 4 gallon tank, but is actually 3. I am 99% sure this is the one that the mustang guys are using to do the concealed install in the spare wheel well. I also purchased this from hypermotive and I'm pretty sure he only advertises this specific size tank just for this purpose.

If you have it, how do you have it anchored. Are you using the straps and feet it came with?

You have to be careful when ordering a specialty suspension tank due to how they are machined since it is one piece of aluminum and how they are labeled.

A 5-gallon is actually 3.5-gallons internally. When I ordered my tank through a vendor. I wanted the one that fits in the spare tire well. The one I got is too big to fit in the spare tire well. I think the mix-up was one was referring to the overall tank size and the other was based on the internal size. It actually worked out better for me in the long run, though.

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
Hey man! Got your PM, sorry for the late reply! So What I did was install the brackets onto the rear of the car body (Rear bumper side). Pic attached from my buddy's car but same mounting area. This gave me ample room by a few MM's to clear the spare tire cover and keeping it from bulging up. I did have to shave off the fuel tank extender part off of the plastic cover since it hits the tank. Wasn't a big deal to me since you can't even tell it's gone anyway. Let me know if this helps.
IMG_5214.jpg
IMG_5212.jpg

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
I am aware of that inconsistencies in their advertised volume. The one I purchased is advertised as a 4 gallon tank, but is actually 3. I am 99% sure this is the one that the mustang guys are using to do the concealed install in the spare wheel well. I also purchased this from hypermotive and I'm pretty sure he only advertises this specific size tank just for this purpose.

If you have it, how do you have it anchored. Are you using the straps and feet it came with?
Trevor is the right person to respond to your question as his tank is in the spare tire well. Mine was too big and also purchased by Hyper. The mix-up was with Specialty Suspension on the size but it worked out better for me. So I didn't send it back.

My install is not in the spare tire well and was installed without a single hole being drilled. I am using the straps that came with the tank. One issue with the straps and feet though. They are not high enough if you want to use the 90 degree fitting on the bottom of the tank for the drain. It is longer than the feet are tall, so you have to raise the tank higher than the height of the feet.
Sponsored