Sponsored

2015 Mustang Wheel and Tire Sizes

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Don't understand why the 20's and PP are the only ones that come with summer tires.

Summer tires have a lot of compromises that some(many) people aren't willing to deal with all year round.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Summer tires have a lot of compromises that some(many) people aren't willing to deal with all year round.
exactly, so why force it on them if they want the 20's? Or vise versa? Just make it a stand-alone option to go to summer tires. I get the PP coming with summer tires, that makes sense. This is a performance car for crying out loud! The 50th LEs have summer tires on them too, with no option for the owners to have all-seasons....:rant:

Also don't understand why you cannot get a spare tire with the 20s...it has the same brakes as the 18s or optional 19s...again it makes sense for the PP because it has the larger brakes.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
You just said that it makes sense to you that the PP cars come with summer tires. The 50th LE cars are PP cars, that's what's driving the tire choice. The PP chassis tuning and calibration is all done around the summer tires. Its a package for a reason - you start changing things like tires and the tuning goes out the window, and that sort of thing really is a big deal to the vehicle dynamics guys doing the tuning. It makes sense to me that there is no all-season option. As an aside, its rather unfortunate that all that tuning work goes for naught as soon as a customer replaces the original tires with whatever they find that's cheapest, or slap on lowering springs, etc...

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
You just said that it makes sense to you that the PP cars come with summer tires. The 50th LE cars are PP cars, that's what's driving the tire choice. The PP chassis tuning and calibration is all done around the summer tires. Its a package for a reason - you start changing things like tires and the tuning goes out the window, and that sort of thing really is a big deal to the vehicle dynamics guys doing the tuning. It makes sense to me that there is no all-season option. As an aside, its rather unfortunate that all that tuning work goes for naught as soon as a customer replaces the original tires with whatever they find that's cheapest, or slap on lowering springs, etc...
That's true and makes sense about the LE cars. But doesn't explain why the 20s has summer tires. Tuning of chassis is the same

Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
No, it does not. By rights, though, the chassis tuning of the cars with 20" wheels ought to be unique, as should it be for the 19" (non PP) wheels, compared to the base 18's. Each wheel/tire combination has its own unsprung mass, and should theoretically have specific spring and shock tuning to account for it.

However - someone will correct me if I'm wrong here - I don't think that Ford does this, because that would increase the number of suspension combinations, and complexity at assembly, not to mention work load during development and sign off. It might be that they do the base chassis tune around the standard wheels, then try to keep the mass of the other options as close as possible. This seems difficult, since the mass increases exponentially with wheel size. I just don't think that they put that much focus on individual tuning of non-PP combinations. Those cars aren't expected to be as good as the PP cars, so the PP is what they spend the bulk of their time on.

Neither scenario, though, would prevent them from offering 20" all-seasons. The only explanation that makes sense to me is that they're keeping build complexity minimal and they judged that more people buying the 20" option would want the summer tires.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Yeah the whole build complexity has been annoying me since the dealer guides started leaking out. I wish it was was like the old days where you could get nearly every option individually. Funny because in 1964 the fact that the Mustang had so many ways to option it out was one of the reasons it was so successful, because it appealed to a broad array of people and incomes. I like all the options anyway, but sad someone who just wants leather has to pony up (no pun intended) $5000 to get the premium package. Oh well, first world problems! :-)

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
But in 1964, the industry was very different. The way cars were made, in terms of construction, materials, labor, complexity, equipment, even the design cycle was quite different. In some ways, many of the parts were actually far more intricate (look at the grillework on a Cadillac of the era) then we see today, but on the other hand, the cars had to package far less content. They had to meet far simpler regulations, and the customers were far less demanding.

I think that any company offering that level of option content today wouldn't be able to survive without charging an extreme premium. In moderately high-volume cars like Mustang, I just don't think that its practical or viable to run that sort of level of complexity when you consider the level of costs that are built into a new car and still be able to make a profit at a reasonable price. They get away with containing the overall cost by making the process as efficient as possible. That's just the nature of the market today.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
But in 1964, the industry was very different. The way cars were made, in terms of construction, materials, labor, complexity, equipment, even the design cycle was quite different. In some ways, many of the parts were actually far more intricate (look at the grillework on a Cadillac of the era) then we see today, but on the other hand, the cars had to package far less content. They had to meet far simpler regulations, and the customers were far less demanding.

I think that any company offering that level of option content today wouldn't be able to survive without charging an extreme premium. In moderately high-volume cars like Mustang, I just don't think that its practical or viable to run that sort of level of complexity when you consider the level of costs that are built into a new car and still be able to make a profit at a reasonable price. They get away with containing the overall cost by making the process as efficient as possible. That's just the nature of the market today.
Yeah that's why Audis and BMWs and such are so expensive, because they offer these things (somewhat). Corvette and even the Camaro to an extent do a better job than what's being offered on the Mustang, however, and they stay competitive in price. I'm not surprised what Ford has packaged, just slightly disappointed. Silly that they won't offer things they could easily make money on like a PP for GT convertibles or automatics (Corvette and Camaro offer similar packages)....since we all know industry is about the mighty $$$!

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
sad someone who just wants leather has to pony up (no pun intended) $5000 to get the premium package. Oh well, first world problems! :-)
:thumbsup:

1.Driver modes not on 300A, just steering (which I'm ok with, I like the fact that I'm sort of still in control)
2.Recaro option is $400 more on Camaro but they are leather and full power no matter if you order them in the base model.
3.Performance Package should be about $1K more on GT and include monstrous tires in all 4 corners like the 1LE. If anyone thinks a 285 sticking out of the front fender of a 1LE is a bad look they have to be dead. A true road racing trans/rear ratio combo as part of the package (a complaint on former TP '14 Mustang)
4. Copy GM and offer a performance exhaust option (Which would include a higher-HP rating like the C7) - Profit option for Ford. I wish they would offer the cut-outs like the LS - power of course.

So my point is I would be willing to pay about $2-3K more for this hardware if it was available. That said Mustang is several $K less than a comparable Camaro so Ford wins this round.

Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Yeah that's why Audis and BMWs and such are so expensive, because they offer these things (somewhat).
No the main reason they are so expensive is that they can get away with it. The whole 'premium' image is carefully marketed and sold to people who don't mind overpaying for what is basically a very poorly equipped base car and paying through the nose for individual options.

1badstang

Threads
Reaction score
do we know offsets yet?

Hey guys I ordered a triple yellow gt 6 speed gt premium track pack and recaros . I m trying to buy wheels before the car gets delievered . do we know if the offsets will be the same as older models so I know what fits flush?

Super Moderator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Hey guys I ordered a triple yellow gt 6 speed gt premium track pack and recaros . I m trying to buy wheels before the car gets delievered . do we know if the offsets will be the same as older models so I know what fits flush?
Merged threads and updated first post. MikeAZ obtained the info below from FordService.

Just got confirmation from @FordService on Twitter on the performance pack offsets:

Ford Service @FordService Follow Hi again! 'Stangs have a 5 x 114.3mm bolt pattern; the offset for the Perf Pckg wheels is 19 x 9.0x 45mm & 19x 9.5x 52.5mm ...

There are no special considerations for the 19x9.0 wheels & performance brakes. Hope that helps! ^SL

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
Merged threads and updated first post. MikeAZ obtained the info below from FordService.
While I put down F1 for the standard GT tire, I'm not sure what it is now. Neither press release posted here claims to be the OE GT tire. Pirelli doesn't claim anything in 18" and the Goodyear press release only says I4 and V6.
And tirerack doesn't show what the OEM tire is for the base GT either...wonder why.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

Don't buy wheels before you get the car, otherwise you will have no idea if the wheels you choose fit properly. Offsets are only one piece of the puzzle, you also need brake caliper clearance and hub bore diameter, as well as inboard strut and control arm clearance.
Sponsored