Sponsored

Steeda's New Dual Rate Ultimate Handling Springs - (Track Proven Winner!!!)

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Interesting. I've always preferred the way a progressive spring feels and just figured I was unique.
I have too and always thought I was compromising because they ride better and I wasn't taking the car to the track. Now I'll probably never consider linear springs. I had no clue about the difference of dual rate progressive springs vs constantly increasing rate springs, now I'll have to watch for that although as long as I stick with Steeda, I know I'm covered.

For me the first thing I do with every car is springs and sways. Springs to lower the car for looks, provide a lower center for handling and to control nose dive in braking. I thought the sways were doing all of the roll control which I hate on every new car. 3rd would be dampers as needed. This car was a little different with the IRS. Not ahead of the others but did a LOT of upgrades there because of how sloppy our IRS is.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome... mind blown....

My whole understanding of the difference between linear and progressive springs just got corrected. I always thought of linear for road race due to predictability and progressive for street being a little more forgiving on the initial deflection. The way Mike explained it above and this article http://www.hypercoils.com/mph/tech-tips/linear-vs-progressive-rate-suspension-springs/ completely changed that!

I had no idea that linear springs did nothing for roll control...
Just because you're a spring manufacturer doesn't mean you know much about vehicle dynamics. SMH. :tsk:

Completely and utterly wrong that a linear springs of higher rate does not improve roll control. I had to read it a few times to make sure I actually saw that. If it wasn't sad I'd laugh.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Just because you're a spring manufacturer doesn't mean you know much about vehicle dynamics. SMH. :tsk:

Completely and utterly wrong that a linear springs of higher rate does not improve roll control. I had to read it a few times to make sure I actually saw that. If it wasn't sad I'd laugh.
What part do you think is wrong? It made sense to me that with a linear rate spring, the same force down on the outside wheel is applied up on the inside wheel.

While a dual rate spring has a larger force down on the outside wheel and the lighter force up. Is there something I'm missing?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What part do you think is wrong? It made sense to me that with a linear rate spring, the same force down on the outside wheel is applied up on the inside wheel.

While a dual rate spring has a larger force down on the outside wheel and the lighter force up. Is there something I'm missing?
Lol it absolutely does not have the same force on the inside as the outside, except for the 0.001 seconds that weight transfer starts and there's no roll yet. Otherwise, that's 100% false.

When you corner, there is weight transfer to the outside tires. That weight transfer compresses the outside springs. The resistive force by the outside springs is far higher than the rebounding force of the inside springs. The more a spring is compressed, the higher the force. When you take the compression off (because weight transfer) the force reduces linearly while increasing linearly on the opposite side. For the sake of argument, let's say that when the tire is unloaded, the spring preload is zero. That means when you're cornering hard, the force on the inside tire is close to zero.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Hyperco has been designing Motorsport and Winston cup springs for decades in the US

Both linear and progressive springs can provide less roll with increased rate. What's being said,is that in roll a progressive spring on the inside wheel will contribute less to upward force because of the decreased rate. I hope this helps everyone understand a little better.
Both are great choices, it all depends on your objectives.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Interesting. I've always preferred the way a progressive spring feels and just figured I was unique.
You aren't unique. You'd be surprised how many cars you love to drive in have progressive springs. I like linear just because I find them easier to work with when dialing in my sway bar and shock settings *for a track*. On the street, having been in numerous Steeda Progressive and Eibach Pro Kit cars, the smoothier-ness of the progressives just coasting about are a wonderful thing. And they handle just fine.

These new buggers will be on my vehicle, without question. :headbang: Once I fix my new $800 daily driver car which has a broken spring... :(

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Hi [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION]!
I just ordered the GT350R springs (which are on backorder till Feb so still have time to change my order) and wanted to learn more about these, as the drop is the same (.75 inch). Just got my proaction adjustable and rear shock mounts from you guys in the mail today, have another bunch of orders waiting to ship (jacking rails, camber plates etc) and wouldnt mind making it three orders!

How is the suspension travel compared to a lower rate GT350 spring (about 280 front and 900 ish back). Does the high rates and thick coils mean travel is reduced?

I ask this as I plan on using 95% street and want to make sure I'm not riding bump stops all the time. Also, ride quality is important to me.

Lastly, will these super high rates make the car more loose (prone to snap oversteer) compared to a softer spring (ex: GT350)? In other words, what are the tradeoffs?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Hi [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION]!
I just ordered the GT350R springs (which are on backorder till Feb so still have time to change my order) and wanted to learn more about these, as the drop is the same (.75 inch). Just got my proaction adjustable and rear shock mounts from you guys in the mail today, have another bunch of orders waiting to ship (jacking rails, camber plates etc) and wouldnt mind making it three orders!

How is the suspension travel compared to a lower rate GT350 spring (about 280 front and 900 ish back). Does the high rates and thick coils mean travel is reduced?

I ask this as I plan on using 95% street and want to make sure I'm not riding bump stops all the time. Also, ride quality is important to me.

Lastly, will these super high rates make the car more loose (prone to snap oversteer) compared to a softer spring (ex: GT350)? In other words, what are the tradeoffs?
Sent you a pm.

Iceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150,2016 PP GT
What is the release date on these? would these work well with the Steeda fixed shocks and struts?

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
What is the release date on these? would these work well with the Steeda fixed shocks and struts?
03/01/17 Yes. For the serious HPDE on track guys this spring set up is awesome. Coming off the turns it keeps the inside rear tire hooked up.

In testing we were losing traction on the inside tire coming off the corners.

The ride quality even though it is firm, is not bad for the street.

Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
03/01/17 Yes. For the serious HPDE on track guys this spring set up is awesome. Coming off the turns it keeps the inside rear tire hooked up.

In testing we were losing traction on the inside tire coming off the corners.

The ride quality even though it is firm, is not bad for the street.
Do these perform better than progressives and linears of similar rates (when cornering at high speed)?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would personally go for the Adjustable versions with these springs. I have 240 and 980 lb/in front and rear linear springs with the fixed dampers and they are just enough for well-damped ride on the road. Any more spring rate and the car would be bouncy. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with mine, but I also know where it sits on the damping coefficient, at least subjectively.

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Do these perform better than progressives and linears of similar rates (when cornering at high speed)?
That's a very hard question and very subjective to vehicle set up, drivers preference and conditions. If you have any further questions please pm me your contact info.

Thanks, Mike D

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I would personally go for the Adjustable versions with these springs. I have 240 and 980 lb/in front and rear linear springs with the fixed dampers and they are just enough for well-damped ride on the road. Any more spring rate and the car would be bouncy. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with mine, but I also know where it sits on the damping coefficient, at least subjectively.
Yes, the Steeda adjustable Pro- Action shocks would be the ultimate combination.

Iceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150,2016 PP GT
Well I already have the fixed sitting in my garage, bought for a hell of a deal on black Friday. Just trying to pick a spring to go with them. Thanks for the info
Sponsored