Sponsored

My Complete Suspension Comparisons to date, Springs, shocks, Coilovers ETC. READ

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
I enjoyed reading through this. I like your willingness and pursuit of perfection (based on your wants and needs)

Good stuff!

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup :thumbsup:

That is exactly why we offer it. Those people you mention, are "the majority" and we cater to them with the SP080.

Of course, we have a legit handling spring pack and a drag pack for those looking for above and beyond the "norm". :cheers:

PS: The Performance Springs actually work VERY VERY VERY good on track with Hoosier Slicks and our F/R Sway Bars. ;)

Kelly i spoke to you last year on the spring stuff and i swear your spot on with Linear versus progressive, I think for anyone who wants to make their car a true sports car you need linear or you just dont have enough experience in really dialed in sports cars to understand. this S550 chassis works best with the linear and firmer rates hands down.
Send all the progressive to HELL ha ha ha
Sponsored

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
Kelly i spoke to you last year on the spring stuff and i swear your spot on with Linear versus progressive, I think for anyone who wants to make their car a true sports car you need linear or you just dont have enough experience in really dialed in sports cars to understand. this S550 chassis works best with the linear and firmer rates hands down.
Send all the progressive to HELL ha ha ha
Appreciate all your reviews. I assume you won't be testing out the BMR handling springs then? Curious how those would pair up with your prior setups.

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Appreciate all your reviews. I assume you won't be testing out the BMR handling springs then? Curious how those would pair up with your prior setups.
I don't plan on it to be honest i am very happy with this current set up. I really think the Koni Yellow with the BMR handling springs would work best and im sure BMR will be testing those once they are released. the spring rates are pretty firm so it would be nice to have some adj shocks to dial them in fully.

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
Great, thanks for taking the time to do all this!

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Great post and thanks for taking the time for the write ups! I've been researching suspension setups myself and frankly have been a bit frustrated by the lack of dampers available as well as feed back about the various springs currently available.

I'm ordering a GTPP later this month and my intentions are to use it as a second car. My goal is to participate in 5 or 6 HPDE's a year. I want to get the most out of a suspension setup, yet not create a harsh ride on the street that only works well on a track.

My two considerations so far have been your latest setup with the Steeda Ultra Lights and FRP shocks and the aFe coilovers. I'm really interested in your feedback about the aFe's if you install them. Greg from HRE installed a set on his car but had to return them as I believe they were just for testing. His initial impression was favorable, but he didn't give much details.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Great post and thanks for taking the time for the write ups! I've been researching suspension setups myself and frankly have been a bit frustrated by the lack of dampers available as well as feed back about the various springs currently available.

I'm ordering a GTPP later this month and my intentions are to use it as a second car. My goal is to participate in 5 or 6 HPDE's a year. I want to get the most out of a suspension setup, yet not create a harsh ride on the street that only works well on a track.

My two considerations so far have been your latest setup with the Steeda Ultra Lights and FRP shocks and the aFe coilovers. I'm really interested in your feedback about the aFe's if you install them. Greg from HRE installed a set on his car but had to return them as I believe they were just for testing. His initial impression was favorable, but he didn't give much details.
I think the AFE is the best coilover you can buy for any street car as Aaron really know his stuff on design and engineering and i trust his product for sure. I had used them on my Vette and Camaro. However not everyone can afford to spend $3k on them as we all need to remember this is a Mustang not a Porsche crowd so finding products that perform within reasonable budgets makes sense and for under $1000 i LOVE my current set up every time i get back in my car to drive. Couldn't be happier right now. If i do try the AFE i will add that to this thread and i am sure they will be awesome.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I think the AFE is the best coilover you can buy for any street car as Aaron really know his stuff on design and engineering and i trust his product for sure.
Yes, I had heard this before. The aFe's were selling for $500 less during the Black Friday deals and I almost bought them, but I couldn't justify making a purchase when I really haven't heard any real feedback yet.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Brilliant write up buddy.

Glad I got the FRPP kit now, shall install it with the FRPP progressive springs to begin with and then a month or so later will try the Steeda Ultralite linear springs. :)

Out of interest did you try the Ford recommended alignment settings for FRPP kit?
-1.55 negative front camber
-1.98 negative rear camber
Neutral 0.0 front toe
0.23 total rear positive toe in

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Brilliant write up buddy.

Glad I got the FRPP kit now, shall install it with the FRPP progressive springs to begin with and then a month or so later will try the Steeda Ultralite linear springs. :)

Out of interest did you try the Ford recommended alignment settings for FRPP kit?
-1.55 negative front camber
-1.98 negative rear camber
Neutral 0.0 front toe
0.23 total rear positive toe in
Hi Ford may have found their settings work best on a race track but then again how many of us will track their cars and still street drive daily. I have found less rear camber works best on the street with the geometry and being lower the back of the car fights traction and the backend of the car gets very wiggly. keeping the rear camber as close to -1.5 seems to work perfect.Toe is subjective on everyones feel. with the roads being so out of whack in NY i like some toe in up front otherwise the car tramlines like crazy all day long. Front camber from my setting now of 1.3 to 1.5 is so minuscule youll never notice this change unless you have a huge front rim and tire up front on a track session and it is still minor. remember these are all static settings and as the car is pushed they change accordingly and i feel my settings have the right balance for a road car. hope this helps

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Looks like my Steeda progressives are being swapped for Steeda ultra-light linears. Thanks for the feedback MustangCollector. Will have FRPP track shocks/coil overs along with the Steeda swaybars and linears. Will post up my impressions when done and have some miles on them.:thumbsup: This was the way my thinking was going anyway before I read your posting here. Great to hear of impressions.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Looks like my Steeda progressives are being swapped for Steeda ultra-light linears. Thanks for the feedback MustangCollector. Will have FRPP track shocks/coil overs along with the Steeda swaybars and linears. Will post up my impressions when done and have some miles on them.:thumbsup: This was the way my thinking was going anyway before I read your posting here. Great to hear of impressions.
hurry before it snows at least you can get a good feel for now

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Sir, I recently purchased the BMR front "performance" springs and the rear "drag" springs. Was actually thinking of running the FRPP shock/struts kit, your thoughts?

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Ok this was the last and final test for now as we approach winter. I may try something else soon as next week but i am damn tired of tearing the car down all these times, setting alignment and driving over and over to report feedback.

Ok so since there is not a sole option for shocks for these cars yet other than the Viking rear shocks i decided to try the Ford Racing Units. I personally would NEVER install some rear VIKING shocks for many reasons, its like a band aid if you cant have a front and rear kit why bother. Also i am not aware of their technology or quality but i read lots of threads with issues and stuff so i stays far away.

I bought the FRP shocks through Summit for 675. I spoke to Ford Racing many times including one engineer who swore up and down these shocks are not the same as the PP shocks. They also confirmed the FRP springs in the Track pack are progressive and made by Eibach. So i put 2 and 2 together and looking at the FRP springs they appear to be identical in their windings to the Eibach Sportlines except Ford must have told them to not make the drop as excessive. Hey i liked the Sportlines last year as they are firm but needed better shocks but it is the progressive loose coils that i just hate their feel on this chassis and i refused to try bother this time around with progressive springs.

So i bought the shocks and decided on the Ultra Light linear. i calculated all the stuff i used so far in regards to spring rates and granted Steeda doesn't publish their rates as BMR does but with basic math you can figure out where they fall.

Install was typical yesterday the rear was a piece of cake to get installed this time around. the Fronts came with new top mounts and isolators.

Now for the feedback. I am not one to brag and recommend stuff but i already recommended this kit to 12 guys on here. I am so satisfied so far. the Linear springs feel awesome the stiffer weight really works best on this chassis. the shocks seem to have less rear compression and 10% more rebound than the PP shocks. overall it works really damn well. the steering is super communicative now and the bump-steer i complained about since new is all about GONE now, this is the only kit i tried with linear heavy rate springs and the only set up where the steering got better and vanished the bump-steer effect around our horrible roads.

the ride quality is superb, super balanced and the cars handling is outstanding right now. the car launches hard but it does not squat like it use to and if you push to hard you go sideways easily so its cold now in NY and i wont push too hard with the temps and Z rated tires. The cars drop is PERFECT it lowered about 1.2 front and 1.3 rear. I drive mostly in comfort steer mode and with all other kits my bump-steer was bad around NYC. now the steering feels neutral and balanced and firm.

the car with the Linear Springs and FRP shocks feels like a really good OEM sport suspension done right. the OEM PP suspension was decent but this new set up blows it away. What i mean by a good OEM Performance suspension i mean a BMW, AMG etc. drive some of those cars as a baseline. i think the cars suspension now closely resembles the ATSV in Track mode in alot of ways and that car is outstanding and has MAG ride shocks. I bet if i threw on some 18 wheels and tires the Mustang will be neck and neck in feel and ride quality, the 20 inch wheels on my car do hamper the cars suspension dynamics due to weight and anyone knows that and i am dying to sell them.

Very happy so far and il report more soon. I got 75 miles on this set up so far. you hear more thump over bumps because the suspension is much more controlled. No creaks or noises as the high spring rates are keeping things in check on the crap NYC roads.

overall i high suggest this kit and if anyone needs further info PM me. If you have money to burn go ahead and do your own testing and play around with the coilovers. I think this current set up will satisfy 95% of you guys unless your a track junkie then you need some really complex hardware to play with.

my current alignment specs are -1.3 camber front -1.6 rear. Caster +7.6 and toe in .02 the car feels incredible. My tires are Pilot super Sports.

I am not installing the KW V3 back in the car for now. I will test the Ridtechs on my friends car once he stops over for the install and the AFE stuff seems to be on my radar as well. I like the AFE design the best so far.
Nice write-up, sir! Thanks for taking the time to do all of these comparisons, it's certainly appreciated! :)

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
How about a side shot of the car? Wanna see how the wheels fit with this set up.:thumbsup:
Sponsored