Sponsored

Pothole Paranoia-No Spare Tire!

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
It's a NYC problem. And from what I gather, Jimmy occasionally drives in Brooklyn where the roads are just god awful.
Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I drive in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens a lot, and there are some SERIOUS potholes. You try to avoid them, but every so often you can't.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
If you have the PP you could always swap the rear to the front and put the spare on the back just to get you to where you needed to go or to the dealership/tire store/etc. Just keep it slow and take it easy with that set up as it would just be emergency and temporary.

I had to do it once on another car I owned when I swapped out larger front brakes/rotors and the spare wouldn't fit. It was more work of course but I DROVE home instead of being towed. :D

Thinkn3D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT/PP, 66 Fairlane XL390
If you have the PP you could always swap the rear to the front and put the spare on the back just to get you to where you needed to go or to the dealership/tire store/etc. Just keep it slow and take it easy with that set up as it would just be emergency and temporary.

I had to do it once on another car I owned when I swapped out larger front brakes/rotors and the spare wouldn't fit. It was more work of course but I DROVE home instead of being towed. :D
Will the scissor jack for the mustang lift the car up high enough to take both wheels off at the same time?

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Has anyone figured out why the spare isn't available with the 20's? Before anyone says it, it's NOT due to the wheel size as the overall tire diameter is the same for all the wheel sizes.
Are you absolutely certain of this? If so im with you no clue why I couldn't get the spare

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Will the scissor jack for the mustang lift the car up high enough to take both wheels off at the same time?
I doubt it unless you have tons of subframe strengthening and cross members and the like. Besides you wouldn't want it to anyway, they don't call those scissor jacks "widow-makers" for nothing. In an emergency situation a few extra minutes to jack and lower the car twice isn't going to matter. :)

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
that's why I stayed with the stock rims, so I could order the spare tire option

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
No, you do one at a time but this is such a simple no brainier, I don't know why everyone doesn't do it. The spare will fit on the rear! So if you get a front flat, cowboy up and first take off a rear...put the spare there...and then put your good rear wheel and tire on the front. It's a 15 minute process.
Run flat tires are stupid expensive and ride like crap. Fix a flat ruins Tpms sensors and overall nastifies the inside of your wheel( which then has to be cleaned by someone.... Want to see a unhappy tire technician?) I don't like annoying the people that take care of my vehicles. (Or be rude in a fast food drive thru)
I'll have 1 spit burger please.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Are you absolutely certain of this? If so im with you no clue why I couldn't get the spare
I'm pretty sure. If you have the tire sizes of all the options you can calculate the diamettdiameters.

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm pretty sure. If you have the tire sizes of all the options you can calculate the diamettdiameters.
Alright now all we need is someone to list them all. :D

Sponsored

Rhys

Enjoying my 67 Mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Who knows?
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT Fastback, 2014 Focus, 2015 GT DIB
Buy a secondhand rim thats the same as yours for the spare tyre. It works better than those crappy spare tyres they give you because then all the rims are the same!

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I've got mine covered. 265/35/20 = 27.3"

EDIT:
GTPP: 255/40/19 = 27.0" & 275/40/19 = 27.7"
GT 19" 255/40/19 = 27.0" (spare tire available)
GT 18" 235/50/18 = 27.3" (spare tire available)
V6 17" 235/55/17 = 27.2" (spare tire available)

EDIT2:
Spare Tire: 155/60/18 = 25.3"

Last edited:

NightDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
United States
Just hit a pothole today.... and both my drivers side tires blew out.... guess not having a spare didn't matter anyways.

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Just hit a pothole today.... and both my drivers side tires blew out.... guess not having a spare didn't matter anyways.
Holy crap! :eyebulge:

NightDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
United States
Holy crap! :eyebulge:
Ya getting it towed to dealer now... hopefully it's just the tires and not the rims as well... :frusty:
Sponsored