LE owners: Will you mod or not mod?

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
The LE is a limited production serialized car. Some will argue its value down the road if it stays a low mileage un-modified car.

So my question for owners/soon to be owners like myself.... will you make minor mods or will you go all out on this limited production model? I have all kinds of things I want to change. I want the Roush active exhaust, I want a VMP S/C and I want some wider tires up front and in the rear for starters. My friends are telling me I will ruin the value of the car by modifying the rear valance for the Roush quad exhaust.....they could be right. they are suggesting I skip the LE and get the GT w/PP and go from there. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think you can't / shouldn't mod a limited production car. What do you think?
Sponsored

mustang.connection

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE #938, WW
The LE is a limited production serialized car. Some will argue its value down the road if it stays a low mileage un-modified car.

So my question for owners/soon to be owners like myself.... will you make minor mods or will you go all out on this limited production model? I have all kinds of things I want to change. I want the Roush active exhaust, I want a VMP S/C and I want some wider tires up front and in the rear for starters. My friends are telling me I will ruin the value of the car by modifying the rear valance for the Roush quad exhaust.....they could be right. they are suggesting I skip the LE and get the GT w/PP and go from there. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think you can't / shouldn't mod a limited production car. What do you think?
I will not make any mods to my LE (#938 WW). This is a special car so I plan to leave it that way. However, I always say do what you like and enjoy it! I believe the only way for these cars to completely retain their value is to put them in storage and never drive them, but what fun would that be?

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
Keep all stock parts when/if replaced, cut nothing, problem solved

Siggy550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
David, great topic! For someone who modified my '12 GT/CS (and '13 F-150 for that matter), it's going to be hard to resist a few changes with the LE. However, I want to be smart about what I do. For example, I WILL change the exhaust to likely FRPP by Borla since I think original Ford parts (bolt-on too) will be generally accepted on this car. I too love the Roush dual exhaust and valance, but I think this just changes it too much for a limited car. For some visual enhancements, I may do some minor things like change the heat vents to the black Roush inserts and put on a tactful spoiler (not some big and gaudy looking thing). However I will only put spoiler on if it can be installed/removed with no drilling and/or damage to original metal and finish.

Finally, I too would love wider front/rear tires and 20" wheels, however I've accepted that buying this car, it will be stunning from the factory and the wheels are one of only 2 exterior cues unique to it, thus I will leave them on. I expect the suspension to be more than enough more my use and won't touch either.

Ultimately, my goal is to purchase another Mustang within next year or two, I will call it his/hers so my wife will buy into it ;), likely EcoBoost auto with PP that I can modify all I want. This might replace my normal day car (BMW 335xi).

Great topic, look forward to hearing more from other future LE owners on this.

WildHorses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
i was thinking about the same thing last night. If I got one, I would probably leave the car stock because of the limited production of the car.

If I got the regular 50 appearance car or base GT then definitely modify it.

Sponsored

B17drvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th LE #48
I will do the exhaust. I always keep the original parts to put back on if I need to.

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Fords, 1 Mazda, 1 Mercury
Unless your willing to put very limited miles on an LE, and wait 25 years to sell it, it's probably not going to appreciate in value. It's just not that different from a regular 2015 Mustang -- most of the unique characteristics are cosmetic. That being said, I think the LE is a sweet ride, and will have a tinge of jealousy when I see one on the road. :)

I say mod away! Life's too short not to enjoy driving your car, and modding it as much you see fit.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I bought mine to enjoy and drive. I was going to supercharge it, but now not sure. It has lots of torque compared to my 11. Sill might. Shifting is a little sluggish, I will at least get a tuner.

If I do mod, I'll keep all stock parts. Always have done that.

I may put 20" vossens on it (5 spoke) but mostly because the stock wheels will be expensive and hard to find if one gets messed up.

I won't not do something because it's an LE, but I will keep everything. That makes it worth more to an individual by itself. LE or not.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Unless your willing to put very limited miles on an LE, and wait 25 years to sell it, it's probably not going to appreciate in value. It's just not that different from a regular 2015 Mustang -- most of the unique characteristics are cosmetic. That being said, I think the LE is a sweet ride, and will have a tinge of jealousy when I see one on the road. :)

I say mod away! Life's too short not to enjoy driving your car, and modding it as much you see fit.

I agree and I don't mean that do bring down LE owners. I feel they are worth the extra cost over a regular loaded GT and will definitely depreciate less than regular models, but they will never be collectible and appreciate in value like Classic models from the 60's and 70's such as the original Shelbys and Bosses.

I feel the same about all modern vehicles because of the technology and computerization of current cars that in 20-30 years will become more of a headache than be considered valuable.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I will do the exhaust. I always keep the original parts to put back on if I need to.
If I had an LE that's all I'd do. A catback wouldn't require any cutting or welding.

Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
This car is staying in my family.

Exhaust
-Active Roush
Or
-Flowmaster Outlaws

2.9 Whipple at around 60k miles.
f68fb9c228717e26af663d00df11ff9a.jpg

Possibly track key until SC(if available)

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Some of my friends will be shocked when I modify a so called Collector Car...It's mine. I'll change it so it doesn't look like the other 1963 LE Fastbacks + 1 LE Convertible.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
but they will never be collectible and appreciate in value like Classic models from the 60's and 70's such as the original Shelbys and Bosses.

I feel the same about all modern vehicles because of the technology and computerization of current cars that in 20-30 years will become more of a headache than be considered valuable.

These two statement are rubbish. First, you, nor anyone, can predict what will and won't be collectible. Do you think if anyone suspected they would get millions for a cobra, that so many would have been abused and rotted in barns? Future collectibility is a finicky animal. You, nor anyone else, can predict that. I will agree that cars in general are a terrible investment as future profit.

And for the second pile, old guys in the 90's said the same shit about fox body cars. Too complicated, too much electronics, too much blah blah. All horse shit. People are restoring them every day just like old guys did to their cars they grew up with in the teens, 20's, 30's and so on. These cars will be just as restored as any car from any year that people desired when growing up. General public joes are getting more and more in tune (especially younger generations) and figuring out how to interface with this stuff. When obd-2 came out, people swore it was the end of hot rodding because you can't tune cars now and oh my goodness the sky is falling. Guess what, it's happening.

I swear I hear the same shit every generation and it keeps getting proven wrong time and time again. At auctions every year, record prices are set on then ugliest and least sought after vehicles and some nice, highly collectible things flop. It's a finicky market but it will keep going and people will find a way.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some of my friends will be shocked when I modify a so called Collector Car...It's mine. I'll change it so it doesn't look like the other 1963 LE Fastbacks + 1 LE Convertible.

Yay! Me too! Actually thinking hard about a set of 20" 5 spoke vossens or df5's. And still debating that supercharger next yearish. Oh yeah, mines gonna get one thing put on it: MILES!
Sponsored