Sponsored

If you have the manual S550, remove the clutch spring. Instructions linked

michaelmfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Premium Manual Trans
You will barely even notice the difference. If you don't like it it's completely reversible, but I highly doubt that you will want to.
Completely agree. After a day or two you won't notice any difference it effort.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Are there any mechanical downsides to removing the spring assist? I remember a few months ago when this was the hot topic there were some people mentioning there could be some issues down the line by removing the spring... any updates?

dcrypter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
Are there any mechanical downsides to removing the spring assist? I remember a few months ago when this was the hot topic there were some people mentioning there could be some issues down the line by removing the spring... any updates?
I don't see how that's even possible. The spring is designed to make the clutch pedal easier on you, not the car.

sanchezcruz_20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Seems like the only downside would be that your manual transmission car now drives as smooth as an auto! (so I'm told)

Sinister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
At first I really hated the clutch spring. The pedal feel was off and it was hard to find the sweet spot. Instead of removing it I just kept trying different techniques. It doesn't bother me any more. I might take it out just to try it but I'm having no issues with it now.

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
At first I really hated the clutch spring. The pedal feel was off and it was hard to find the sweet spot. Instead of removing it I just kept trying different techniques. It doesn't bother me any more. I might take it out just to try it but I'm having no issues with it now.
Better to improve a shit system instead of adapting to it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The C5 Vette guys went through this same scenario ... everyone was removing the clutch pedal assist spring. Then some engineer from GM said another reason for the spring was to ensure the clutch mechanism was keeping the actuator off the throw-out bearing so it wasn't always engaged even with the clutch pedal all the way up.

Not sure if this is also true on the Mustang or not. If the assist spring is removed on the Mustang, does the clutch pedal still sit as far up as it did with the spring installed? In other words, is there any noticeable sag in the pedal when it's supposed to be all the way up (clutch engaged)?

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
The C5 Vette guys went through this same scenario ... everyone was removing the clutch pedal assist spring. Then some engineer from GM said another reason for the spring was to ensure the clutch mechanism was keeping the actuator off the throw-out bearing so it wasn't always engaged even with the clutch pedal all the way up.

Not sure if this is also true on the Mustang or not. If the assist spring is removed on the Mustang, does the clutch pedal still sit as far up as it did with the spring installed? In other words, is there any noticeable sag in the pedal when it's supposed to be all the way up (clutch engaged)?
Dunno, but the spring seems to pull the clutch toward the floor/firewall so don't see how removing it would cause sagging.
Regardless, it wasn't an option for me after 4months of struggles.

Sinister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP

michaelmfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Premium Manual Trans
Better to improve a shit system instead of adapting to it.
Yes.

I've been using manual transmissions for 30 years and it makes me wonder why Ford implemented this design. It impedes the normal/expected operation for experienced drivers, and - from what I've read here - new drivers as well.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would bet significant funds that the reason the clutch spring is so strong (thus making the pedal very light) is because it's a global car now. Some of those markets want light clutches no matter what.

sanchezcruz_20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I would bet significant funds that the reason the clutch spring is so strong (thus making the pedal very light) is because it's a global car now. Some of those markets want light clutches no matter what.
I too feel that it is on the "lighter" side. What I don't is why many of the reviews I've read complain that it is heavy..... ???

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Dunno, but the spring seems to pull the clutch toward the floor/firewall so don't see how removing it would cause sagging.
Regardless, it wasn't an option for me after 4months of struggles.
The pedal assist spring in the Vette was designed somehow to make the pedal lighter, and to also keep the pedal all the way up when the pedal was not being depressed. Kind of a "over center" mechanism.

If someone has the spring out on the Mustang, can you grab the pedal and make it move farther upwards when it's already all the way up?

Last edited:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The pedal returns all the way to the stop with the spring out. First thing I checked when I removed mine. There are no worries about the throwout bearing riding on the clutch fingers.
Sponsored